Van Halen Cancel rest of tour?

Randy Lahey

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonzey...for a guy who's been supporting this reunion since day one,you keep getting your ass kicked to the curb.

I hope it works out for you this time!

5 more days, this Saturday Van Halen makes their long awaited return to St. Louis. I'll be there.

Jonzey...for a guy who's been supporting this reunion since day one,you keep getting your ass kicked to the curb.

5 more days, this Saturday Van Halen makes their long awaited return to St. Louis. I'll be there.

Good luck man, hope it works out for you. Try and post a review or something if you aren't too excited :P

Monty

You're gonna love it man....trust me! B)

I was at the show tonight and Cincinnati, and all I can say is WOW!

I'm still blown away, what a great show, Dave is back and in full force while Wolfie is holding his own on Bass B)

If you can get tickets to a show, don't pass it up, it's worth ever penny.

I was at the show tonight and Cincinnati, and all I can say is WOW!

I'm still blown away, what a great show, Dave is back and in full force while Wolfie is holding his own on Bass B)

If you can get tickets to a show, don't pass it up, it's worth ever penny.

Roth on rock3

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

This is a very overrated band. They aren't bad, but many treats them as if they were one of the best bands ever. Wouldn't reach my top 200.

April 26, 2008 Van Halen, Scott-Trade Center, St.Louis, MO

(Review/story)

Thank God this show was on a Saturday. The 2 previous cancelled shows were on a Sunday. I got all my shit done in the morning/early afternoon and decided to pop a beer while watching the Cardinal game. I went to my friends house at 4:45. We smoked a bong hit, thats all I needed(my pot tolerance is low, I don't need much). Listened to some Van Halen and drank a few more beers. Then we went to Waffle House to grab a bite to eat. Waffle House is a great place to munch and its cheap too.

Then we went to another friends house, she knows how to roll good joints. So we smoked one of her joints while she rolled up a few for us. I'm feeling really good at this point. Around 7:00 we head over to St.Louis(about 20 minutes away), park and walk over to the arena. Parking was only $5.00 (YES). We got around to the front and went into the arena by the smoking section. This is the area where people get their hand stamped to go outside and smoke, but you can enter there also. If you're thinking of bringing in a video camera,booze, etc... I suggest going in that entrance. I wasn't even checked, maybe I have an honest face :rolleyes: . My freinds wife was asked if she had a camera in her purse, she said no, and that was the extent of the security check. We got in at 8:05.

Took a piss break, scoped out the beer situation, got in line for the $8.95 24 ounce Buds. In line we ran into some guy I hadn't seen in 15 years. He is a salesman and bought me and my friend a beer. (YES). Then we met up with my friends wife who went to get a coke, she had to stand in line for awhile.

We found our seats at 8:20pm. I couldn't believe the timing, I didn't give a rats ass about the opening act, but I didn't want to miss a second of Van Halen. 10 minutes later, 8:30 sharp, the lights went down and the show began.

The setlist is the same, you can find it anywhere on the internets, but what a setlist it is. Every song is a favorite for us diehard classic van halen fans. They played "Little Guitars", haven't heard that live since 1984, and they played "And the cradle will rock" which I've been waiting to hear live for 28 years.

Wolfie did a good job, sure I wish it were Mike up there, but that wasn't meant to be. He looked like a kid in a candy store, and apparently he's ate his share of candy, Big Mac's/fries etc... A little chunky, but he was great, mugging for the camera, always hit his marks.

Alex, solid as usual.

Dave, in great shape for a guy who is 53. No jumps off the drum riser, he's a little old for that now. The stage banter was probably the same as every other show, but it was still great. He knows how to work the crowd.

EDWARD VAN FUCKING HALEN:

The last time I saw Ed was on the 2004 tour, he looked like he didn't want to be there. ie:Going thru the motions, not interacting with Sammy or Mike. Saturday, his playing was impeccable. I noticed 3 mistakes, if that, and they were minor. Hell, I'd be happy if Ed made 20 mistakes, thats how good he is, and he was great.

His solo was short, but solid. Towards the end of it he reached down to pull the cord which got tangled, for a second I thought "Uh Oh!!, here comes a meltdown!" But it didn't happen, he just wanted to move around a bit more towards the end of the solo.

They ended with 1984/Jump. Dave brought out the inflatable mic, but didn't ride it like a horse, he just carried it around the ramp.

A few other things:

-Ed wore a blue shirt and jeans, never went shirtless

-Ed looks like he put on some weight, he needed to, he was starting to look like Karen Carpenter.

Ed is not fat by the way, in fact he looks a lot better than he did earlier in the tour

-Never saw Ed smoke, he never put a cig on the end of his guitar, although my friends wife said she saw him put out a butt right before a song

in the shadows.

-Sound quality was superb, maybe it was my seats. I sat about 30 rows up, looking at where the goal would be at a hockey game. The sound was loud but not painfully loud as it was in 2004. I brought ear plugs but I didn't need them.

-One hit song after another, with maybe 10-15 seconds between songs. I stood up the whole time. Saw a few people playing air-guitar.

-Ed's mic/monitor was directly in front of Alex's drums. I gotta think this has something to do with his hearing.

What a night.!!

1 possible negative, I did notice some piped in vocals during a few songs (chorus). It sounded a little too good.

Anyway, if you're going to a show in the next 2 months, you will enjoy it. I know everybody says that, but I really do mean it. You got to catch them now, because no one knows what the future holds with Van Halen.

This is a very overrated band. They aren't bad, but many treats them as if they were one of the best bands ever. Wouldn't reach my top 200.

Thats a bold statement. Do you want to list your 200 bands that are better than Van Halen?

I'm waiting.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
I ain't going to do that. That would take to long for me to think. :lol:

But I could easely think of 50.

I'll settle for 50. Go ahead.

In no particulary order...

1. AC/DC

2. Beatles

3. Nirvana

4. Rolling Stones

5. The Kinks

6. Aerosmith

7. Guns N' Roses

8. Queen

9. The Doors

10. Alice Cooper

11. New York Dolls

12. The Who

13. Sex Pistols

14. The Stooges

15. Ramones

16. Misfits

17. WASP

18. Skid Row

19. Pearl Jam

20. Alice In Chains

21. Red Hot Chili Peppers

22. Blind Melon

23. Velvet Revolver

24. Yes

25. Velvet Underground

26. Niel Young

27. Johnny Cash

28. Cream

29. Jimi Hendrix Experience

30. The Black Crowes

31. Thin Lizzy

32. Molly Hatchet

33. Van Morrison

34. Camel

35. Pink Floyd

36. Nazareth

37. Lynyrd Skynyrd

38. Led Zeppelin

39. The Smiths

40. Slade

41. Grand Funk Railroad

42. Black Sabbath

43. Saxon

44. Helloween

45. Gamma Ray

46. Stratovarius

47. Kansas

48. Billy Idol

49. Dream Theater

50. Offspring

That's not my top 50 btw. I was just trying to think of 50 band I liked better then VH.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Maybe. I've no idea about that. I like Van Halen, don't think anything else, I just don't think it's one of the best band ever.

• 3 weeks later...

"Hey we heard you missed us, we're back!"

This was the scream that frontman David Lee Roth proclaimed on Tuesday, May 13th, at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. After years of feuding, Roth and his childhood friends Alex and Edward Van Halen had come together to put aside there differences and perform once again in the band Van Halen, one of the most popular bands of the late seventies and early eighties.

The 2 hour set was chock full of greatest hits, from the classic Kinks cover "You Really Got Me" opening the night, to the confetti-strewn finale of "Jump," arguably Van Halen's most popular song. Behind Roth, the Van Halen boys (Plus Eddie's 16 year old son, Wolfgang, on Bass) churned out song after song for the nearly sold-out crowd.

Wolfgang certaintly had big shoes to fill on this night. He was replacing original bassist Michael Anthony, whom had had a falling out with Eddie and subsequently was not invited to tour. Knowing what he was up against, Wolfie stared defiantly at the crowd, held his bass high, and began strumming the opening bass riff to "Running With The Devil," sending the crowd into their own devilish frenzy.

Clearly, the boy could play. But was he up to the task of singing back up to one of the most charismatic frontmen of his era? With his father proudly watching on, Wolfgang used his pipes to deliver a sound that complimented Roth's wail.

Alex, brother of guitar virtuoso Eddie, held his own all night, and even had a solid drum solo. It was the first of three solos of the night, (The other two being a guitar and vocal solo, respectively) and it left the crowd begging for more. The band didn't dissapoint, plunging head first into "Unchained."

Roth was the only true weak point of the night. Even from the beggining, he seemed tired and out of breath. His voice couldn't keep up with the frentic pace of the night, nor could his legs. At past shows, Roth could be seen running around. On this night, he slowly strutted his stuff, but did manage to do some nice jumps towards the end of the night. His vocal solo before "Ice Cream Man," seemed unnesecray and out of place, but when 3 out of four members of the band are over fifty years old breaks are vital.

Eddie was clearly the star of the night. He was all smiles, and he never missed a note. The guitarist wailed away on hit after hit, from "Jamie's Crying" to "Somebody Get Me A Doctor." Despite checking himself into rehab months before (Which led to the subsequent rescheduling of the gig, originally set for March 13), Eddie strummed like a man possesed. His solo of "Eruption" left many audience member's jaws on the floor, and his playing on the next number, "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love" left everyone breathless. He played as well as he ever had, and reaffirmed the fact that he is one of the best guitarists ever.

Overall, the night was fun, and it seemed to go on forever. Despite Roth's less than stellar vocal performance, he managed to keep the audience excited the whole show. It may not have been the best show ever, it was certaintly memorable. Roth commented on how the show was the first show being filmed for a live DVD. If Van Halen played the way they did on Tuesday night, then the DVD will be more than worth it.

• 2 weeks later...