Do you think the Cds are coming to an end soon?

Gallagher Rose

I think so..

Wal Mart is going to low the prices of all Cd genres to around 5-10 bucks,but the disc format is going to end soon.

I think around 2015,all the stores will send music to ipod and mp3 player..it will be a kind of plug,pay and play.You will plug your ipod into the store server,pay the price for each song,or album,and receive the songs directly to the ipod.A friend of mine works for a record company and they will test this idea soon.

Is it the end of the CD?

Edited by Gallagher Rose

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to happen, it's just a matter of when. I think within five years, which is what most analysts are predicting based on the rate of declining sales. But the question still remains - what will that leave the industry with? iTunes has great potential and proves there's an Internet market, but how will the industry adjust to that and how powerful will iTunes become? Or will record companies split off and form their own online distribution? Will MP3 players become the new standard playback as CD currently is? And what will be sold in stores then - will companies begin selling small disposable disks or codes for download through their Internet service?

...or will an altogether new format emerge?

Edited by Estranged Reality

I hope it doesn't happen too soon. And if they do go all digital, I hope bands don't drop album artwork, It'd still be cool to have...

I agree with you about the artwork... in fact, some of my favorite albums, I never would have checked out if it wasn't for the art work(like Lizzy Borden's album Master of Disuise, or In This Moment's debut, Beautiful Tragedy)

I think artwork for albums can be just as effective in drawing fans as the music itself, sometimes, to be quite honest

I'm not so sure about this

Granted, it appears we're heading in that direction, but still having something tangible, is still something a lot of people want.

The concept of "An Album" just does'nt seem the same if you have to play it off of an mp3

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned here, but I still like the idea of something that resembles an album

I still buy CD's but none of my friends do whatsoever and call me "old fashioned" for doing so-

I find it quite alarming but when I do beg to differ they say CD's are less practical and are a "rip-off".

I just never got into the whole downloading thing, I buy all my CD's and feel kind of pressured into downloading sometimes as CD's are a notion of ridicule and are just seen as not practical whatsoever.

It's not the aspect of honesty that gets me buying CD's, it's just, I've been doing it all my life, I enjoy the album art, just, the whole concept of a CD is something I can't throw away because it's more "practical" to download.

Sadly, I don't see a bright future in the world of CD's, especially considering the portrayal of CD's in modern day society at least amongst the youth.

Granted, it appears we're heading in that direction, but still having something tangible, is still something a lot of people want.

The concept of "An Album" just does'nt seem the same if you have to play it off of an mp3

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned here, but I still like the idea of something that resembles an album

I agree, when I think of an album I think of a CD, it wouldn't be the same. Even if I just ripped the CD to my computer then put it on the rack and never listened to the actual CD again (which I do most of the time) I still like owning a physical product.

I agree, when I think of an album I think of a CD, it wouldn't be the same. Even if I just ripped the CD to my computer then put it on the rack and never listened to the actual CD again (which I do most of the time) I still like owning a physical product.

:xmasssanta: FUCK YEAH

I wish more people were concerned with sound quality. The files off iTunes suck, and the way albums are produced to sound best/loudest on iPods and subsequently shitty on high-fidelity equipment is pretty depressing.

Edited by Ant

I hope not, I definitely prefer cds. I download to, but when I can I buy the cds, mainly because I like them. But it looks like it's going that way, I know that most of my friends never buy a cds and they thing it's weird that I do.

I'm hardly an audiophile but the 128 kbps soundquality from iTunes is shit and I really hope the quality in general won't turn shit (or rather more shit than it already has :P )

I hope not, I definitely prefer cds. I download to, but when I can I buy the cds, mainly because I like them. But it looks like it's going that way, I know that most of my friends never buy a cds and they thing it's weird that I do.

I'm hardly an audiophile but the 128 kbps soundquality from iTunes is shit and I really hope the quality in general won't turn shit (or rather more shit than it already has :P )

Same here, I very rarely download anymore actually, always buy the CDs unless it's out of print or something. I think I'm alone in buying CDs nowadays, everyone else just uses Limewire....

Hope not. I'm too lazy to download stuff. Can't I just stumble into a store and pick up plastic squares like before. Oh, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, oh I forgot the times.

I guess cds are out, so the multinationals can resell us everything in a different format. I have AFD on Vinyl, Tape, CD, let's go for Mp3 and MiniDisc next. Blue Ray!

It won't surprise me if they try a new format, like Blu Ray Audio, or something.

Unless someone can come up with a legit form of copy protection that doesn't install anything unwanted on your pc, and still allows playback in any standard cd player, and most importantly can't be cracked, cd's will be dead within 5-10 years i believe.

Edited by tat2d1

we lost fidelity years ago when they invented cds, so its a non issue, records are the only true sound

GUnsguy

People that cling to this argument have no idea what they are talking about.

I dont think they'll ever stop makin cds (at least i hope they dont, i fukin hate ipods and mp3s, for one thing the qualtiies shit), maybe itll become like vinyl is nowa days. Like maybe some kid in 20 years will like some album so much that he'll think, man i gotta get this on cd, the way i think i gotta get this on vinyl now.

I dont think they'll ever stop makin cds (at least i hope they dont, i fukin hate ipods and mp3s, for one thing the qualtiies shit), maybe itll become like vinyl is nowa days. Like maybe some kid in 20 years will like some album so much that he'll think, man i gotta get this on cd, the way i think i gotta get this on vinyl now.

If we could get the Vinyl sound on CD's we'd be set.

I'm the same too. My friend always bugs me about that. I dont think he even owns one store bought CD

He always tells me "why dont you just download it and you can even print out the album art, and it's just like the original."

No it's not. It's just not the same.