Do you think the Cds are coming to an end soon?

Gallagher Rose

I'm not so sure about this

Granted, it appears we're heading in that direction, but still having something tangible, is still something a lot of people want.

The concept of "An Album" just does'nt seem the same if you have to play it off of an mp3

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned here, but I still like the idea of something that resembles an album

I agree, when I think of an album I think of a CD, it wouldn't be the same. Even if I just ripped the CD to my computer then put it on the rack and never listened to the actual CD again (which I do most of the time) I still like owning a physical product.

I'm the same too. My friend always bugs me about that. I dont think he even owns one store bought CD

He always tells me "why dont you just download it and you can even print out the album art, and it's just like the original."

No it's not. It's just not the same.

You just can't beat the feeling of going down to the store, looking through for what you need, buying it then rushing home to listen to it. Plus I like just looking through the rock section for covers that catch my eye.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with FLAC is getting it to your iPod, that's why I download 320.

I only download the albums I can't afford, and which I'm anyway gonna buy later, or albums that I wouldn't have purchased.

My conscience is clean.

I've downloaded several albums before.

I ended up buying them again too.

Christ I spent $30 on The Stooges Funhouse because it was a special edition.

I'm not entirely against downloading but I see why it comes in handy.

Instead of making a blind purchase on a band that catches your eye you can download the album digest it if you liked it you can keep it and buy and buy more of their albums. If it's bad simple you delete it. It sometimes beats the fuck out of forking over $20 on a album you blindly purchased that you end up hating.

I'm not so sure about this

Granted, it appears we're heading in that direction, but still having something tangible, is still something a lot of people want.

The concept of "An Album" just does'nt seem the same if you have to play it off of an mp3

Maybe I'm a little old fashioned here, but I still like the idea of something that resembles an album

I agree, when I think of an album I think of a CD, it wouldn't be the same. Even if I just ripped the CD to my computer then put it on the rack and never listened to the actual CD again (which I do most of the time) I still like owning a physical product.

:xmasssanta: FUCK YEAH

I agree with all of that.

i hope cds dont get away. they should give you a free download with the purchase of the album like they do with some vinyl. I bought the new jack johnson album on vinyl and thats what they did.

What would be the point, you can just rip the album to your computer...

The reason they give you them with vinyls is because you can't exactly stick that on your computer can you.

Edited by UseYourAppetite

this is an audiophile's worst nightmare.

music is already being produced/mastered with no thought to fidelity. this will only fuel that fire.

couldn't agree more

....that would suck.

I agree :(

It is not the same whit a digital album... i want the real deal.

me too

How fucking boring is a digital download?

I actually enjoy the artwork,lyrics and the fun of the entire package.

I'll miss if and when it goes.

this is an audiophile's worst nightmare.

music is already being produced/mastered with no thought to fidelity. this will only fuel that fire.

couldn't agree more

....that would suck.

I agree :(

It is not the same whit a digital album... i want the real deal.

me too

How fucking boring is a digital download?

I actually enjoy the artwork,lyrics and the fun of the entire package.

I'll miss if and when it goes.

I agree, and that's why it really pisses me off when I buy a cd and there's no lyrics, no pictures, no nothing... Just a bunch of thanks to a couple of people :fuckyou:

When I buy a cd I want a booklet (or whatever it's called) with the whole package: lyrics, a couple of pictures, info about who played on what track, guests etc... Not just the front with a blank backside...

I think that CDs will disappear sooner or later. You can't stop that progress. I hope and think that Vinyl will survive as a market niche, because many people still want a booklet, coverart etc. and are willing to pay for it.

Edited by misch

Am I the one that doesn't really care about the booklet and crap? It really doesn't make a difference whether I buy or download an album because either way it ends up on my computer and onto my ipod. The only difference is with a CD it sits around for a few months collecting dust because I can't be bothered putting it away after I've ripped it onto my computer.

Album art won't disappear, so no need to worry about that...but otherwise, I don't care. There has always been albums that sound like crap, and there always will be...but there's always gonna be fantastic sounding albums too, whether you download them or have to buy the CD.

I dont think they'll ever stop makin cds (at least i hope they dont, i fukin hate ipods and mp3s, for one thing the qualtiies shit), maybe itll become like vinyl is nowa days. Like maybe some kid in 20 years will like some album so much that he'll think, man i gotta get this on cd, the way i think i gotta get this on vinyl now.

If we could get the Vinyl sound on CD's we'd be set.

Yeah some albums sound so much better on vinyl, like exile on main st for example, it sounds fukin amazing on vinyl, all the crackling and that record sorta sounds flatter and fatter as if the tones been turned down or soemthing.

Edited by Midnight Rambler

The thing I've never liked about CDs is mainly I feel like the packaging is so "cheap" compared to previous formats. Kind of ugly and clunky to me. That's really why I almost prefer digital downloads most of the time, as I mentioned in the other thread. When you stack CDs on a shelf - they don't look nice like vinyl and DVDs - those shitty plastic cases, to me anyway, look ugly.

I like paying for some of those nice DigiPacks and Deluxe Editions in the slip cases, but most plastic cases...aren't so great. I spent $18 on an album a couple weeks ago, got out to my car - and the fucking case broke as I opened it (and it apparently was already broken before I opened it - I guess from the shipment). I receive hundreds of CDs every day at work and I'm usually in charge of handling all the damaged items, and I'm always amazed at how reckless they are with the shipments - knowing how fragile the cases are, you'd think they would handle the boxes gently and package them better, but no wonder so many cases are always cracked already - there's never any packaging inside, the UPS guys throw them around and often when I open them up, the plastic has shattered and crumbled and we have to send half the shit back. We get our stuff from vendors who distribute to many large retailers, so if you ever see broken cases in stores or torn outer packages, it's probably because of their horrible methods.

I think if I had enough money I'd collect vinyl. I can see a merit to that. It's aesthetically pleasing. I know a lot of people love CDs but especially nowadays, when there aren't even any liner notes in most albums, I have to wonder why so little effort is put into the packaging... I've bought a few CDs lately where, literally, the inside sleeve is one-sided and contain no lyrics, liner notes or anything. That really bites in my opinion. I love opening a new product - CD or DVD - and seeing a full booklet inside. DVDs are getting the same way - they used to always come with multiple-page chapter inserts or "making of" booklets or whatever - and now 90% of DVDs seem to contain no inserts at all.

Those new Joy Dividion remasters were excellent. I love those Deluxe Edition digipacks - I wish more CDs were packaged that way.

I've found some cd booklets to be nice. Like the new Britney album has nice pics and presentation. I like cds cos it poses no problems. With vinyl you had to be always cleaning the needle, watching you don't scratch the record. cds you just throw them around, wack em in the cd player. I conveince. If I like the band that much I buy the picture book.

It's becoming clear a lot of artists can't even fill up the damn things anymore without resorting to stuffing the tail end to the brim with filler.

Digital singles will probably become the dominant touted sales figures sometime down the road, unless some awesome shit happens in the industry (Grunge II?!).

Edited by Ant

It's becoming clear a lot of artists can't even fill up the damn things anymore without resorting to stuffing the tail end to the brim with filler.

Digital singles will probably become the dominant touted sales figures sometime down the road, unless some awesome shit happens in the industry (Grunge II?!).

Guns N' Roses II!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness if things go to downloads I think we'll see less filler and end up with like 5 songs on an album. Which would suck major balls.

Edited by UseYourAppetite

Am I the one that doesn't really care about the booklet and crap? It really doesn't make a difference whether I buy or download an album because either way it ends up on my computer and onto my ipod. The only difference is with a CD it sits around for a few months collecting dust because I can't be bothered putting it away after I've ripped it onto my computer.

Album art won't disappear, so no need to worry about that...but otherwise, I don't care. There has always been albums that sound like crap, and there always will be...but there's always gonna be fantastic sounding albums too, whether you download them or have to buy the CD.

I don't give a shit about anything over than the music. I've never understood why people take so much joy in going to the shop and buying the CD. When I used to buy CDs, a long time ago, I used to rip them to my PC then throw them in my drawer to never be seen again. It was a hassle.

In all seriousness if things go to downloads I think we'll see less filler and end up with like 5 songs on an album. Which would suck major balls.

See I think that would be sweet. Especially if it meant more frequent releases.

See I think that would be sweet. Especially if it meant more frequent releases.

Maybe if we got more frequent releases, but if it's still the same amount of time between albums it would suck to only get a few tracks. Filler can be pretty good sometimes.

who knows, although I think cassettes should make a comeback.

AAAH...no offense, but I looked over the whole thread, and I

actually agreed with or understood the thoughts of

each post until I got to yours!!!!!

CASSETTES?????? I HATE "EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn things break if you even look at em wrong! Right before CDs I had

around 500 cassettes I bought, and wish to God I could have bought CDs

instead. (finding certain albums on CD was hard)

My Take: Well, it's like this,let's say you have EVERYTHING you like on CD

up to date, what are you buying?.......NOTHING!........But, if the format gets

changed to something (that's always better).......WELL, you better start saving

some serious cash to re buy all those albums on the NEW format.I think the

same thing is done with video games as well.If things go to MP3, there is no

money there, I don't see that happening, I say going back to vinyl is the real

answer, because A.)newer generations don't have any, and it would seem

new or fresh to them. B.)older generations would think, damn that's COOL!

and they would get heavier into music. Repurchase a lot of albums they used to

have. C.)VINYL CANNOT BE DUPLICATED!!!!!!!!!!! It would be like buying the master

of the album you like, then you can put it on CD,the PC for IPODS and MP3

players, and even the diehards can put it on cassette or maybe even 8-track!

You wouldn't hear "Hey can you make me a vinyl copy of AFD"? The vinyl of an

album would be the true original product, let it all start with some rich dude going

to the store, buying an album for like 25 bucks, then every body flocks to him, with

CD-Rs and blank cassette tapes!

Edited by Getizzyback