Zint opens the vaults...Black Flag 1984,Circle Jerks 1985

Zint

pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase tell me you got The Germs..

I don't think the Germs ever ventured to our parts..

I was screwing around last night and added Slip It In to the videos...and I discovered that uploads are not limited to 100 MB anymore.

I might just have to go back and re-upload those vids in higher quality!!

not to pester but what other bands didja get?????

dude take your ritalin!

come on man, you're killing me :lol:!! how can you be so cruel?!?! *picks words carefully in case he offends and gets jackshit* pretty please??? :):):)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually...most of them you will have never heard of...so calm down! :tongue2:

We would have had some really cool ones...but the British bands were really rockstar-ish about people filming...which is too fucking bad for them in hindsight...woulda been some cool fucking footage hitting the net to support their legacy!

oh well...

And I was digging around the mountain of videotapes last night...much to my horror,some of the ones that should have been there weren't!!

I'll have to make some calls..tapes got paseed around within a core group of people...I know where to look.

Problem is...a few of them are dead...tapes might have been pitched out!!

**gulp**

*picks words carefully in case he offends and gets jackshit* pretty please??? :):):)

:lol:

:tongue2:

actually...most of them you will have never heard of...so calm down!

We would have had some really cool ones...but the British bands were really rockstar-ish about people filming...which is too fucking bad for them in hindsight...woulda been some cool fucking footage hitting the net to support their legacy!

oh well...

And I was digging around the mountain of videotapes last night...much to my horror,some of the ones that should have been there weren\'t!!

I\'ll have to make some calls..tapes got paseed around within a core group of people...I know where to look.

Problem is...a few of them are dead...tapes might have been pitched out!!

**gulp**

*picks words carefully in case he offends and gets jackshit* pretty please???

if i\'ve never heard of em then i sure wanna :):) especially if they\'re from the sort of late 70s early to mid 80s era. which of the british bands balked?? (for some reason the damned spring to mind, dont ask me why) the flag footage looked really...(dont just mean the band, but the setting etc) looked really...authentic is the best word i can use what i mean is like...the real thing and no messin :) the shit is like goldust to me, i\'ve read books and seen documentries (and possibly mythologised in my head, over mythologised perhaps? who fuckin cares :lol:) about this shit. if i haven\'t said thanks already for the flag stuff, thanks :):) (but more!!! no really, not buggin or nothin but more...y\'know, if you wanna, dont take that wrong!! but try and wanna okay? okay cool!!)

Edited by ffrankwhite

Alright...mission accomplished!

The original videos have been upgraded in quality (except for Revenge,it was fine as is).

Some more videos have been added for a total of 10.

I cleaned up this thread a bit and took out the old links that are no longer valid.

I've added links to all 10 videos in the first post of the thread.

...enjoy! B)

im starting to sound really...redundant now arent i?

fuck it, if you dont get it, its your problem, its fucking Black Flag :D:D:D:D:D

this is officially the single most awesome thing i've come across as a result of this website...by far...hands down...first round.

fuck it, if you dont get it, its your problem, its fucking Black Flag :D:D:D:D:D

You should have been here when the thread first started.It was quickly overshadowed by the

"Who's better,Aqua or Venga Boys" thread.

(kinda blows my mind on a GnR forum)

You should have been here when the thread first started.It was quickly overshadowed by the

well quit blowing my mind and lemme in on who those other bands are!! :lol: you got a seriously interested disciple who doesnt mind making himself look like a total fucking brown-nosing ass loser in the hope of getting to know about some obscure ass in the grass mean as mr mustard punk rock bands and you're holding out on me!! :rofl-lol: and not the shit that passes for punk rock nowadays, your guyses stuff, the real shit :):):)

Edited by ffrankwhite

:rofl-lol:

Wait if there's a reality show, I can see my aunt registrering to this board to talk about her favorite tv show :confused:

who else d'ya get footage of?!?!?!??!?!

Been digging around looking for tape two of the Black Flag gig.

(it's tape one actually)...but it's got the opening bands on it

I want to add those first.

After that....sitting here next to my computer....is....

Circle Jerks...1985!

who else d'ya get footage of?!?!?!??!?!

Been digging around looking for tape two of the Black Flag gig.

(it's tape one actually)...but it's got the opening bands on it

I want to add those first.

After that....sitting here next to my computer....is....

Circle Jerks...1985!

NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this shit aint fuckin fair man, really...if i lived near you i'd be through next doors window with a fishing rod tryna jack the tape about now!!! did ya meet Keith Morris??????? post em man!! :):):):)!!!!!!!!!!!! who opened for Flag?? :)

Edited by ffrankwhite

NO FUCKING WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY!

did ya meet Keith Morris???????

I did indeed...cool guy...VERY cool guy!

The whole band was..

who opened for Flag?? :)

St. Vitus

Tom Trocolli's Dog

October Crisis

you don't happen to have seen Conflict at any point by some chance?

:)

I can't say that I have...

(but then,I can't say that I haven't either....there's those grey areas...ya know?? :tongue2: )

smug bastard :rofl-lol: (just to clarify, that was said in jest, dont close the vaults or else i'll cry...trust me, its not a pretty sight :lol:)

you don't happen to have seen Conflict at any point by some chance?

:)

I can't say that I have...

(but then,I can't say that I haven't either....there's those grey areas...ya know?? :tongue2: )

smug bastard :rofl-lol: (just to clarify, that was said in jest, dont close the vaults or else i'll cry...trust me, its not a pretty sight :lol:)

What was smug about that?? :tongue2:

It was factual...I might have seen them...my friends tell me about gigs we went to that I have zero recollection of.

When my screw-around band got together to play a benefit gig,they told me about songs we wrote back in the mid 80's...that I don't even remember.

seriously!!

That's the grey zone I'm talking about...zero recollection.

Thank god some of them have a few more brain cells left than I do! ^_^

Rollins is fuckin layin it down in that vid!!!!! :):):) my man in the front is getting into it too, i wonder how many people were actually Flag fans at that gig and how many were going to check em out for the first time and how many ended up as fans. i guess you never know these things but...i always find watching these early videos (or earlier i should say) videos of punk gigs the audiences are generally more interesting..

Wound Up wins it for me so far!!!! keep em comin!!

Edited by ffrankwhite

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to adding some more stuff from the Black Flag gig.

I uploaded one of the opening band's set....Saint Vitus.

Black Flag had them signed to SST records and took them on the 1984 tour with them.

Around 1983 the hardcore community and the metal scene started to merge...which was pretty cool to me,I had no problem with it (street level metal...not the spandex shit).

Both scenes started to show up at each other's gigs...made for lots of intense fun!

Saint Vitus is apparantly now hailed as psychedelic doom metal...maybe,I dunno **shrugs**...it's just scruffy heavy metal to me.

They were loud as hell...fun band to watch in a bar environment!

(look closley and you can see Henry Rollins at the front of the stage during the above two songs,kinda to the left of the screen)

Edited by zint61

sounds??...you have sound?? :tongue2:

Yeah they were kind of Black Sabbath from the back alley.

Street level accessible metal...I think that's why they meshed so well with Black Flag.

Anyway...I'm in the process of adding the other band Black Flag had on tour with them.

Tom Trocolli's Dog.

Greg Ginn was on bass.

They were kind of...um...errr...punk/jazz/fusion/not really sure what the fuck.

I'm just doing it to complete the Flag show on youtube...wasn't really into them (but that might have had something to do with Tom Trocolli himself...the guy was a total jerk off)....more on that later.

(I still owe you stories from the show)

• 4 weeks later...

ok ffrank...

I'm long overdue answering some of your questions here.

I wanna get it done because I'm planning on getting to the next show soon.

Gonna go back through your posts and do some quoting/answering.

what the fuck was that crowd up too??? the shit should be like the fuckin tide!!!!!!!!!

At first,when Flag first started,not everyone was amped up yet.

It had been a weird night of sorts.

The opening local band everyone had seen 1,000 times.

Then..Tom Troccoli's Dog wasn't winning any fans.He had a serious condescending attiude.

And his jazz/punk/fusion noodlings started to grate on people.

At one point someone grabbed a mic and screamed "you're boring the fucking shit outta me".

The guy really was a goof.When we asked him if we could film.He got paper out and wrote up this elaborate contract that we practically had to sign in blood.All the while we were thinking,"fuck man...it's not like we can sell your shit anyway...even if we wanted to".

He wasn't friendly at all and had this my California shit don't stink you should be honoured with my presence vibe about him...complete asswipe.

Anyway...the younger punks were totally hip to Saint Vitus.The metal/punk crossover was full on happening so a lot of kids dug them.

However...a lot of old school weren't digging the "hippie" factor so there was this strange vibe going on.

I really dug Saint Vitus so I had no problem with them.

But yeah...on the videos the crowd looks kinda tame at times,but I can assure it was kinda gnarly in there.A lot of the audience can't even be seen in the footage.People were getting thrown out for rowdy behaviour (smashing windows and shit)...and there were a few fights too.

and Rollins let you jack in the soundboard and shit?? :) didja talk to him, obviously met him, tell the fuckin tale man!!! when you got there, what you did, what happened, what was Rollins like back in the day?? anything like the dude i see in interviews lately??

Yeah Henry let us jack right into the soundboard.Had absolutely no problem with it.

Gregg Gin looked at us all serious and said "if you sell this,we will kill you".

But other than that,they were fine with it.

My friend had his own p.a. (16 channel mixer etc.).He also had a sixteen jack snake.So sometimes he'd have a jack run into each channel on the board,he'd run the snake out to his gear set up in his own personal rolling-truck-stones-thing-just-outside (in his van)...he'd do a live mix and the mix would be fed back into a live connection on the camera so we got a realtime mix on the cam.

Other times we just ran the feed direct from the soundboard to the cam...which I think,judging by the sound,is what we did here (I think it was a time factor that he didn't do the seperate mix).

But yeah....met Henry.If I remember correctly they rolled in a bit late.So they were rather busy with rolling the gear in,setting up,soundcheck and all that.Plus I think it was snowing like a bitch outside.

So there wasn't a lot of sitting around shooting the shit with them,just not the time for it.

Plus once we got the go ahead to jack into the soundboard,we had to drive across town and get the gear.

He was rather quiet and pensive,but approachable.I was more involved in getting set up for the shoot (we had to completely duct tape the snake feed to the floor...the bar insisted on it).

The Saint Vitus guys were cool as hell!

Troccolli was a douche as I mentioned.