MGMT-Oracular Spectacular

Randy Lahey

I just downloaded this album and it's pretty freaking good. Some of you have probably heard the single. http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE

The video is a bit gay but I really like this song and the album it's on.

Axl should get these guys to open for him instead of that douchebag washup Sebastian Bach.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Great album. Had it since 8th December and it's worn a hole in my iPod.

I've been listening to it a lot in my car recently, especially "WEEKEND WARS" and "THE YOUTH"... although it's been hoofed out today as I just found an advance copy of Portishead's new album rock3

How is the Portishead album?

Just listening now... it's pretty cool... most of it is in a similar vein to Beth Gibbon's solo album with Rustin Man, rather than classic Portishead.

I'm trying to get tickets for the Edinburgh Corn Exchange gig - great live band, but only ever seen them once [try mp3zzz.blogspot.com/ in google...]

I can't wait to listen to this through my headphones...it's so good through my stereo already but headphones are so much better. It's quite infectious.

It sounds kick ass with the headphones on. I just want to go out and tell everybody to buy this. My friend and I went down to the record store and picked this up today. I know I'll be sitting on the beach, drinking, kicking back, and listening to this album in the summer time.

Edited by Randy Lahey

This is one of my favourite albums of the year so far. I'm glad you brought it up! To be honest I thought about creating a topic a while ago, but didn't think anyone here would care for it. I'm glad to see the love. They remind me of the Flaming Lips a bit, which is understandable given they worked with the same producer.

This is one of my favourite albums of the year so far. I'm glad you brought it up! To be honest I thought about creating a topic a while ago, but didn't think anyone here would care for it. I'm glad to see the love. They remind me of the Flaming Lips a bit, which is understandable given they worked with the same producer.

I just love how it blends Bowie, T-Rex, touch of Oasis, Electronica, and a bunch of other stuff. This is the kind of album that I've been waiting a long time for.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I just love how it blends Bowie, T-Rex, touch of Oasis, Electronica, and a bunch of other stuff. This is the kind of album that I've been waiting a long time for.

Check out Yeasayer's new album. I guarantee you'll love it if you like MGMT.

http://www.last.fm/music/Yeasayer

No, I just use bit torrent sites like isohunt and mininova. If I really like what I download I go out and buy the CD.

Last.fm just keeps track of what you listen to; it's not a download site. You should check it out. This is my account. If you listen to anything on your computer or iPod, it's worth signing up. And it gives pretty nice recommendations the more you listen to stuff.

I don't know how many times I've listened to this album today...a dozen times at least. Every track is really good, although a few stand out from the rest.

My faves:

Kids - it's just cool and ridiculously catchy

Electric Feel - starts out with a California Love-esque intro (it sounded like that to me the first time and it's stuck), and then turns into this falsetto drenched sex-fest...it's awesome.

Time to Pretend - the first single, so it's obviously catchy, but I reckon Kids should've been the first single although Kids isn't as good a song as this...it's just cooler

They're just the standouts for me...the rest of the album is class though too. I love how it's a pretty short album, I love short albums; most albums should be 8 songs long (like Raw Power as a perfect example), 8 tracks really slims down an album to it's best songs.

The first 5 tracks of this album is the fucking catchiest shit I have ever heard... it gets a little weaker towards the end, but still above par.

If you're unsure just download the song "Electric Feel", you'll be in for sure

I actually proclaim this album in my top 10 for the 00's

Edited by pain cake