Should I worry about an external hard drive not working?

Budweiser

I'm browsing the net for an external hard drive to back up my files - But when I read the reviews, I'm finding that so many people are telling stories about how their ext. HD is breaking within a year.

Is this what I can expect to? Can someone recommend a good one for a decent price?

I'm browsing the net for an external hard drive to back up my files - But when I read the reviews, I'm finding that so many people are telling stories about how their ext. HD is breaking within a year.

Is this what I can expect to? Can someone recommend a good one for a decent price?

Post some links to the ones you're thinking of and I can probably provide some feedback.

Hard Drives are something that I wouldn't get the cheapest one around of - especially if people have given those particular models bad reviews. I say this because if a motherboard or power supply or whatever else breaks, then you only have to pay the cost of the part and it's fixed. If a HDD dies, then you have to replace the part, but more importantly - you lose all the information on it as well.

Portable hard drives are just normal everyday hard drives packaged into a case. The WD Passport hard drives are just laptop 2.5" ones.

The only brands I would be recommending are Seagate and Western Digital. Avoid Maxtor like the plague, in my experiences they die more often than any of the others - that said they do have a decent RMA service, but you don't want your drive dying in the first place. Take good care of it and keep seriously important stuff backed up on something else, as well as the hard drive.

Edited by Max™

The only brands I would be recommending are Seagate and Western Digital. Avoid Maxtor like the plague, in my experiences they die more often than any of the others.

I agree - buy one from one of those brands. I do actually have a Maxtor drive which I use, which I've used since 16 March 2006 - and it hasn't broken. But still, I've heard bad things about Maxtor with other people.

Agreed Max. I have 2 Western Digital 500's in my PC, as well as a Maxtor 80. The Maxtor was given to me by a friend who didn't want it, so I use it as a "temp" drive for things i'm downloading. I've noticed that it's come up with a few errors over the past few months, and it's been making noises to indicate that it's on it's way out...

WD's have a very good name - haven't had a problem with mine. The only thing with that drive is that it's pretty small (capacity wise, even for the price) and a little slow - plus people are complaining of it getting really hot.

I have a Maxtor External HD and it has worked fine since the day i got it in 2006, i have dropped it so many times and still had no problems, some people in this thread said avoid these drives, well some people will have bad experiences with them just as they would with top known brands, Maxtor give you high quality drives for reasonable price.

Edited by jkdrummer

i used to have a 250GB Western Digital HDD.

One day it just randomly stopped working.

The computer wont read it in my computer.

i didnt drop it or anything.

still lying on the bottom shelf now, i really need to send it off to get fixed or something. <_<

Take good care of it and keep seriously important stuff backed up on something else, as well as the hard drive.

Exactly, people tend to forget that unless their data is stored on at least two places, then it's not actually backed up.