Woody Guthrie

ffrankwhite

He's so fucking influential its untrue and he really gets so little props outside of like, the folk music community, he was incredible, such an ear for a tune. pretty much any motherfucker that ever thought about or did a song that had some form of protest in it owes a debt to Woody. and he was so fucking prolific, he could reel off songs, he did so literally when promoting the Grand Coulee Dam literally under contract to these companys and yet he had such a love for...america/americana that the song comes off so true and sincere. the man toured with leadbelly who to me is almost like the be all and end all of music. he's responsible for SOOO much and gets so little recognition, its unbelievable. i REALLY love this guy and the more i hear his music the more i fall deeper, suffice to say without him there'd be no bob dylan, in fact if my memory serves me correctly Bobby Dylan did a song called Ode to Woody on his first album (one of this best albums i reckon) but yeah, jesus christ, this guy was so fucking amazing. This Land is Our Land is the closest to a patriotic song that i've ever liked. Woody had it reckoned out. See conservatives rag on with blind patriotism and extreme liberals rag on about how they see through or see beyond concepts of nationality but there is a middle ground, you can love your country and express it so but the love has to be all encompassing to be real, encompassing faults as well as what you percieve to be the merits of this country.

i cant really begin to brag Woody up as much as he deserves, i was just curious, any fans here? :) if not i REALLY reccomend you giving this guy a try, please, favor for a stranger?? its criminal how he's not like...in every concievable top ten of greats.

Funny you mention him, I just gave a rousing rendition of "I Ain't Got No Home In This World Anymore" in the shower today.

Whenever I listen to him it reminds me that there will always be room for an honest man and a guitar.

Well you certainly make him sound accessible, recommendation where to start? :)

This Land Is Our Land, the aforementioned I Ain't Got No Home In This World Anymore, Vigilante Man, Dust Bowl Blues and Tom Joad for starters :)

actually it was "song to woody" by bob dylan.

it was the only song on the album that was penned by bobby.

dylan went to meet Woody in Brooklyn where he was suffering from Huntington's Disease in 63 (?)

here's the lyrics to the "song to woody" - a fitting tribute...

Song to Woody

I'm out here a thousand miles from my home,

Walkin' a road other men have gone down.

I'm seein' your world of people and things,

Your paupers and peasants and princes and kings.

Hey, hey Woody Guthrie, I wrote you a song

'Bout a funny ol' world that's a-comin' along.

Seems sick an' it's hungry, it's tired an' it's torn,

It looks like it's a-dyin' an' it's hardly been born.

Hey, Woody Guthrie, but I know that you know

All the things that I'm a-sayin' an' a-many times more.

I'm a-singin' you the song, but I can't sing enough,

'Cause there's not many men that done the things that you've done.

Here's to Cisco an' Sonny an' Leadbelly too,

An' to all the good people that traveled with you.

Here's to the hearts and the hands of the men

That come with the dust and are gone with the wind.

I'm a-leaving' tomorrow, but I could leave today,

Somewhere down the road someday.

The very last thing that I'd want to do

Is to say I've been hittin' some hard travelin' too.