Tom Petty Appreciation Thread

Black Sabbath

Petty & Jeff Lynne make for one of the best collaborations in classic rock history.

yes sir

"The Traveling Wilburys"

Petty, Jeff Lynne, Dylan, ROy Orbison and George Harrison.... a short lived studio band but some amazing tunes

If you can afford it, pick up some of their stuff

I think the prices have dropped, used to be hard to get

Petty & Jeff Lynne make for one of the best collaborations in classic rock history.

yes sir

"The Traveling Wilburys"

Petty, Jeff Lynne, Dylan, ROy Orbison and George Harrison.... a short lived studio band but some amazing tunes

If you can afford it, pick up some of their stuff

I think the prices have dropped, used to be hard to get

They have a collection now with both CDs and a couple bonus tracks I believe.

My favorite Tom Petty quote:

"This is an emergency crisis we're in. The entertainment media is affecting everything on the planet in a very negative way. I'm only interested in rock 'n' roll. Rock 'n' roll is a music that represents truth. Your TV channel has taken the word "rock" and knocked the "roll" off the end. You made rock this umbrella term for everything. That's wrong. Shakira isn't rock. These country artists with fur coats aren't rock - or country. I offered a video to VH1 of my band playing in the studio and they don't want to air it because it had musicians playing in it. They want some babe walking on the beach or whatever. I got turned onto this music by watching the Beatles and the Rolling Stones actually on TV playing their guitars. It completely took me over. When you can't see musicians playing any more, I'm not interested any more.""

I actually cut out a newspaper clipping of him today from yesterdays new york post. They were talking about great songs that ended in 2:42. They mentioned "Dont Do Me Like That.", along with songs from the beatles, etc. Tom Petty rocks though, great singer and guitar player.....

"Listen To Her Heart" is my favorite tune.

Favorite albums are "Damn the Torpedos", "Full Moon Fever", and "Hard Promises".

the Running Down A Dream documentary by Peter Bogdonovich is phenominal. i think you can only get it from Best Buy. the doc is great, plus there's a complete concert from Tom Petty on his 30th anniversary tour in his home town of Gainesville, FL. fantastic.

The six degrees of Axl Rose connection...

Saw Tom Petty many moons ago...the opening band was the Replacements.

Great concert (both bands).

I have the History of Rock and Roll series on dvd.

Tom Petty's contributions are excellent,very entertaining and informative.

Free Falling and Refugee come to mind as favs.

• 9 months later...
"Listen To Her Heart" is my favorite tune.

Favorite albums are "Damn the Torpedos", "Full Moon Fever", and "Hard Promises".

the Running Down A Dream documentary by Peter Bogdonovich is phenominal. i think you can only get it from Best Buy. the doc is great, plus there's a complete concert from Tom Petty on his 30th anniversary tour in his home town of Gainesville, FL. fantastic.

Just bought that Running Down A Dream documentary this past weekend. Wow, some great stuff. I never realized how much I loved his music, I mean I always liked him, but he's for sure one of the greatest Rock n Roll acts ever.