The Who

ffrankwhite

Not a lot of love around for The Who (Keith Moon era, the only one that counts) just curious, any fans? what do you think of this band? anybody see em live during the Moon era? i think they're incredible...i really think theres probably like...i dunno, one band i can think of thats better than them (The Beatles) Theres other bands i love, sure, Sex Pistols, Stooges etc but they're unfair comparisons in lots of ways...fuck it, not even gonnna open that can of worms :rofl-lol: . but yeah, what do you think of em and why? i seriously think theres not a lot of bands that can REALLY stand up to em, in terms of live performance, studio output and the sheer inventiveness of it. i mean the beatles get so much credit for Sgt Peppers (deservedly so) and the whole y'know, first concept album thing when really the only...common theme, the only thing that ties that album together is the fact that the character Billy Shears follows on from the title track to Little Help From My Friends and its tied together by the reprise which is basically the title track over again anyway. look at The Who Sell Out. now THERES a concept album, with a consistent concept running through. and Tommy for fuckssake, which i think speaks for itself and is just a flat out fucking masterpiece. Jesus, Who's Next is more of a concept album than Sgt Peppers for goddsakes. Quadrophenia too, is just masterful...wonderfully matured too.

each and every album was a clear fucking progression. The Who by Numbers, they sort floundered a TEENSY bit but fuck man...the rest were just abrupt sort of...advancements on the last album. Townshend is just a total fucking genius. and Moon. My God, Moon. we might go through another million years of the earths existence before theres another one like him. and John Entwhistle, WHERE THE FUCK DO THOSE BASSLINES COME FROM?!?! they are not of this fucking earth, just completely utterly original, like a child when he hums.

they just seemed to do everything they tried their hand at better than anyone else. of the sort of british bluesmiths to me they were the best (from what i've heard) just from the sheer originality and intensity of their interpretations of the songs. just on their own, as individuals they were so amazing at their job too...and so un-alike, it just made for WONDERFUL fucking music. best fucking live band, they bought SO much to rock n roll and...they're more remembered as a sort of brand and their achievements arent so well or consistently or frequently enough...touted.

but yeah, digressing, what do y'all think? :)

Edited by ffrankwhite

Awesome, but I like them a few albums in. I don't like the earlier albums as much because Roger's voice wasn't fully developed. When he found his tone, his deep voice, it made the Who what it is.... and his voice only gets better with age. In fact, one of the Who's best songs is a fairly recent one, Real Good Looking Boy. And you'll never find a fitting Moon replacement, but I think Zakk Starkey is as close as you're going to get to his style, even his image on stage.

Awesome, but I like them a few albums in. I don't like the earlier albums as much because Roger's voice wasn't fully developed. When he found his tone, his deep voice, it made the Who what it is.... and his voice only gets better with age. In fact, one of the Who's best songs is a fairly recent one, Real Good Looking Boy. And you'll never find a fitting Moon replacement, but I think Zakk Starkey is as close as you're going to get to his style, even his image on stage.

his early voice was pretty fuckin smokin though you gotta admit!! (no you dont but you know what i mean, figure of speech) i LOVE Real Good Looking Boy which is weird cuz im usually such a purist. i understand what you mean about Zakk but...really...honestly...i just...i understand you werent even comparing him to Moon but...the word close was in that sentence and...oh i dunno what im trying to say :lol:

They fuckin suck!

...I'm sick of their shit

that was unusually short of you :lol:

boring pretentious crap

i suppose you could argue they were pretencious. i'd say passionate and sincere...pretencious, i dunno. how'd you mean? the whole concept overkill thing? you could say the same about the beatles, especially Lennon although thats not the discussion at hand huh? pretencious in what sense though, as in how'd it get to like...an objectionable point with you if you dont mind me asking? :)

They fuckin suck!

...I'm sick of their shit

that was unusually short of you :lol:

boring pretentious crap

i suppose you could argue they were pretencious. i'd say passionate and sincere...pretencious, i dunno. how'd you mean? the whole concept overkill thing? you could say the same about the beatles, especially Lennon although thats not the discussion at hand huh? pretencious in what sense though, as in how'd it get to like...an objectionable point with you if you dont mind me asking? :)

Actually that was performance art piece for today.

I honestly love em to pieces.

Now I'm off to staple a live kitten to the back of a city bus,it's my statement on urban sprawl.

gotta dash...

What the fuck kinda basis do you people compare them on? :lol: You take your own personal preferences and write them as facts?

Is it so hard to say "I like X more than Y"? Does it HAVE to be "X is better than Y"? I mean, how can you even compare two artists? Can you quantify music in any way? What do you think about? Song structures, arangements, vocal performances, originality, energetic performances? I mean, how can you tell which makes better arangements? Is there a criteria sheet? And originality? They were all fucking original, in their own way. And not everyone cares as much about reckless energyin their music. Maybe for some it doesn't suit them.

Music is something that reaches an individual at a personal level. How much a song appeals to you and what cord it touches inside you is something very personal, it's different for each listener, it depends on your personality, mood, on a certain memory you identify it with, on the social and political realities around you, on connections made subconsciously, on so many different things. And still you think you can actually tell which is better from two bands and make it an universal fact?

What the fuck kinda basis do you people compare them on? :lol: You take your own personal preferences and write them as facts?

Is it so hard to say "I like X more than Y"? Does it HAVE to be "X is better than Y"? I mean, how can you even compare two artists? Can you quantify music in any way? What do you think about? Song structures, arangements, vocal performances, originality, energetic performances? I mean, how can you tell which makes better arangements? Is there a criteria sheet? And originality? They were all fucking original, in their own way. And not everyone cares as much about reckless energyin their music. Maybe for some it doesn't suit them.

Music is something that reaches an individual at a personal level. How much a song appeals to you and what cord it touches inside you is something very personal, it's different for each listener, it depends on your personality, mood, on a certain memory you identify it with, on the social and political realities around you, on connections made subconsciously, on so many different things. And still you think you can actually tell which is better from two bands and make it an universal fact?

course they were all original but theres ways you can tackle this shit. theres just FLAT OUT original and then theres like...vaguely derivative.

i dont think universal fact is the issue here, i think its just comparing the variables and coming up with as close to a good answer as you can find, which isnt difficult to be honest. i SERIOUSLY honestly think i could make a good case for The Who being WELL on a par with the Beatles, even better in some ways, its really not difficult, you just...i dunno, there was a HELLUVA lot more going on with The Who than people give em credit for...Townshend, Moon, Entwhistle (not so much Daltrey i have to say) are actual bona fide geniuses in lots of ways. The Beatles only really had one genius (Lennon). now, dont get me wrong here, McCartney i think is a GREAT man with ideas, one of the best and his ear for a tune, for melody is fucking AMAZING but im talking about genius, an inate ability towards something, McCartneys a great musician and i dont mean great in the offhand, thats a great milkshake sense i'm talking in the totemic sense but i dont think genius applies...nor even with Harrison or Starr...but Townshend, now theres a fucking genius...in lots of ways. its fucking mind-blowing shit he was fuckin with.

and Moon, now if that aint fucking genius, innate genius then we seriously need to re-evaluate what the fucking term means. this is gonna sound seriously silly but...i watch Who live performances and i honestly sit there with my mouth open looking at that motherfucker. its WHAT the....FUCK?!?!?! what the fuck is he doing??!! it shouldn't fucking work but it is, its working in front of me, im looking at it and i just cant fuckin call it whatever the fuck he's doing but...you just get the feeling each second he cant see past the end of his nose but...he doesnt need to either, in terms of the fills and...everything its just a total on the spot thing with him and each time he just makes it seem magnificent...effortless...apparently the guy never practise *inner monologue* WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN HE NEVER PRACTISED?!?! what i say he never practised, he never owned a drum kit at any of the places he lived. thats just fucking disturbing man, i have fucking trouble sleeping with that knowledge.

Entwhistle too, Jesus Christ, there is a reason why he's the fucking Ox, listen to that fucking bass playing, its what i imagine the sounds of an earthquake mind sound like if you applied principles of melody to em. #

but yeah, music, i dunno, its what i like to hear, its what i'd like to do and its what i like to talk about. this is why i compare, there ya have it, i feel i learn more doing that sort of thing or discussing or having a conflicting contrasting discussion with someone and learning a little about what they like/dislike and WHY as opposed to like, ok "The Radiohead Appreciation Thread" everybody who likes Radiohead all get in here and we'll all touch each other up and try to come to some sort of common climax over how great they are, its just boring, i'd rather this.

Edited by ffrankwhite

but yeah, music, i dunno, its what i like to hear, its what i'd like to do and its what i like to talk about. this is why i compare, there ya have it, i feel i learn more doing that sort of thing or discussing or having a conflicting contrasting discussion with someone and learning a little about what they like/dislike and WHY as opposed to like, ok "The Radiohead Appreciation Thread" everybody who likes Radiohead all get in here and we'll all touch each other up and try to come to some sort of common climax over how great they are, its just boring, i'd rather this.

I wasn't talking about you, but about two other regular posters in this section. I think it's pretty obvious who they are.