Dave Grohl writes open letter to Metallica

Randy Lahey

Keith Moon's severely overrated.

i never thought i'd ever dislike someone on a forum. congratulations, you're a first. Blue Ribbon and all of that :lol: Moonie is fucking God, find me a better drummer. y'cant cuz they dont exist ;)

That's the only bad thing about the Foo Fighters, we never get to hear Dave drum anymore :(.

I can't really think of anyone apart from maybe Mike Portnoy or Freese that can match Dave's pure awesomeness on the skins, and if you can tell me. It better not be some gay ass metal drummer either, they may be fast, but that doesn't count for much.

Matt Tong from Bloc Party is pretty damn good. Also, Jason Reece from Trail of Dead (not a metal band)......is also good.

i never thought i'd ever dislike someone on a forum. congratulations, you're a first. Blue Ribbon and all of that :lol:

Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Moonie is fucking God, find me a better drummer. y'cant cuz they dont exist ;)

Lol, it's not that easy to just say " this drummer > that drummer > that drummer" etc. etc. Keith had a very unique style for his time, no doubt about it. But I just prefer some other peoples drumming to Moons. So sue me.

Hopefully I'll be able to sleep tonight

keep your hands on the pillow, you'll make it ;) (just kidding, i love you really :wub:)

Lol, it's not that easy to just say " this drummer > that drummer > that drummer" etc. etc. Keith had a very unique style for his time, no doubt about it. But I just prefer some other peoples drumming to Moons. So sue me.

oh its definitely a personal preference thing, i just think Moon beat them all out on the sheer inventiveness or his drumming, what he bought to rock drumming and the total inate spontaenaity that he had...that sort of natural ability (the guy never practised, never kept a kit where he lived) is just fucking phenomenal. a lot of sort of drummers drummers say that, outside of the framework that the who afforded him he was TECHNICALLY the greatest which is not to be ignored but his other qualities far outweighed the talents of ANY other drummer to my mind. didnt mean to sound like i was shitting on your opinion or anything, i have a tendancy to overstate for emphasis ;) i do hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me..

Dave Grohl's a closet rocker who went along with the punk vibe to fit in Cobain's world...he's never convinced me otherwise.

I wonder if Curt would have gone to the Zeppelin reunion???...Grohl couldn't get there fast enough.

And I can save you a nine paragraph response ffrank...it's just the vibe I get from the guy...tis all.

Dave Grohl's a closet rocker who went along with the punk vibe to fit in Cobain's world

pretty much...definitely DC Punk raised though :)

I wonder if Curt would have gone to the Zeppelin reunion???

who knows..

I don't understand this

Sounds like he's a Metallica fan, so what's the big deal? Why would he write an open letter like this? And why would anyone start a thread on this?

His music annoys the shit out of me for the most part, but he's had a pretty impressive career - I know a lot of people who like the Foo Fighters

Personally, I think the guy's an attention seeking whore, but that aside, someone explain to me the significance of this letter

that second one particularly...try em...there is actually no greater drummer than Keith Moon that i've ever seen :)

Fuck mate, I'm kicking Moon's ass every day, all day - Where's your praise for me?

John Bonham

That's the only bad thing about the Foo Fighters, we never get to hear Dave drum anymore :(.

I can't really think of anyone apart from maybe Mike Portnoy or Freese that can match Dave's pure awesomeness on the skins, and if you can tell me. It better not be some gay ass metal drummer either, they may be fast, but that doesn't count for much.

look no further than the legendary, the amazing, the brilliant, the indestructable Keith Moon :)

Yeah well obviously. I was just talking about modern drummers though. But I'm thinking I don't need to convince you how great a drummer he is, you've heard Nevermind enough times to have noticed I'd think ;).

who knows..

I'm pretty sure Nirvana did a Zeppelin cover early on. I don't think Kurt was exactly anti-rock n' roll like some people make him out to be.

Nirvana did play Heartbreaker in the beginning of their career, and they also have a song called Aero Zeppelin, a tribute to Aerosmith and Zepp. At least, Kurt was a Zepp fan.

Dave Grohl's a closet rocker who went along with the punk vibe to fit in Cobain's world...he's never convinced me otherwise.

I wonder if Curt would have gone to the Zeppelin reunion???...Grohl couldn't get there fast enough.

And I can save you a nine paragraph response ffrank...it's just the vibe I get from the guy...tis all.

Oh, I completely agree... I saw the Foos live the other night and while it was an awesome show, some of the really predictable "rock" shit that he was doing onstage (devils horns, etc) made me laugh and think "and this guy was in Nirvana?"

I don't have a huge problem with that... like I said, it was a really fun, energetic concert. He's definately a lot closer to your typical arena rocker than he would have cared to admit back in the early 90's though... :lol:

who knows..

I'm pretty sure Nirvana did a Zeppelin cover early on. I don't think Kurt was exactly anti-rock n' roll like some people make him out to be.

Anti-rock 'n' roll? He was a rock musician, wasn't he? :huh: