Emo music attacked over teen suicide

My Chemical Romance

Ads by Google

Genre blasted again after 13 year-old 'emo girl' commits suicide

May 8, 2008

22 Comments

Various Artists news, reviews, video and tour dates

Add Various Artists to MyNME

An inquest in Maidstone has heard that Hannah Bond, a 13 year-old girl from Kent, committed suicide by hanging herself - and emo music has been blamed.

Roger Sykes, the coroner who gave the verdict of suicide yesterday (May 7), suggested that the fact that Bond was an obsessive fan of such music was linked to her death.

The inquest heard that Bond had discussed with friends the "glamour" of suicide, and was obsessed with American band My Chemical Romance (pictured). She had a picture of an emo girl with bloody wrists on her Bebo page.

Bond's father Ray explained that his daughter had had an episode of self-harm prior to her suicide, which she told him was an emo initiation ceremony.

Her mother Heather Bond, also provided some background on her interest in the genre explaining: "There are [emo] websites that show pink teddies hanging themselves. She called emo a fashion and I thought it was normal. Hannah was a normal girl. She had loads of friends. She could be a bit moody but I thought it was just because she was a teenager."

However as he gave the verdict of suicide, coroner Sykes criticised the genre saying: "The emo overtones concerning death and associating it with glamour I find very disturbing."

If you're stupid enough to kill yourself over music than the world is better off without you. My Chemical Romance probably helped to save lives in the long run.

Edited by Randy Lahey

http://nme.com/news/various-artists/36468

Emo music attacked over teen suicide

My Chemical Romance

Ads by Google

Genre blasted again after 13 year-old 'emo girl' commits suicide

May 8, 2008

22 Comments

Various Artists news, reviews, video and tour dates

Add Various Artists to MyNME

An inquest in Maidstone has heard that Hannah Bond, a 13 year-old girl from Kent, committed suicide by hanging herself - and emo music has been blamed.

Roger Sykes, the coroner who gave the verdict of suicide yesterday (May 7), suggested that the fact that Bond was an obsessive fan of such music was linked to her death.

The inquest heard that Bond had discussed with friends the "glamour" of suicide, and was obsessed with American band My Chemical Romance (pictured). She had a picture of an emo girl with bloody wrists on her Bebo page.

Bond's father Ray explained that his daughter had had an episode of self-harm prior to her suicide, which she told him was an emo initiation ceremony.

Her mother Heather Bond, also provided some background on her interest in the genre explaining: "There are [emo] websites that show pink teddies hanging themselves. She called emo a fashion and I thought it was normal. Hannah was a normal girl. She had loads of friends. She could be a bit moody but I thought it was just because she was a teenager."

However as he gave the verdict of suicide, coroner Sykes criticised the genre saying: "The emo overtones concerning death and associating it with glamour I find very disturbing."

If you're stupid enough to kill yourself over music than the world is better off without you. My Chemical Romance probably helped to save lives in the long run.

What about all the things kids that listen to Metal and Grunge did/do.

If my memory recalls.....didn't one those kids walk into a metal concert and kill one of the musicians (Dimebag Darrell).....and wasn't there a couple of teenage boys (that loved NIN) that went to a school in Colorado and........or what about this one kid (Who loved GNR) that went school one day, at his college in Virginia and........

You guys need to get the f**k off of emo.

Most of you who talk shit on the genre have never listen to any of genre's significant artist, such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Pedro the Lion, Coheed and Cambria etc.

Fuck let's not start a genre war you dip shits

They talk like the music was the soul reason for her suicide, there were probably other factors involved and the culture was just a vessel in which she was able to take her life. She was a teenager, completely emotionally naive, probably a relationship drove her over the edge, examine the parents, they probably had a part in driving her in one way or another.

They talk like the music was the soul reason for her suicide, there were probably other factors involved and the culture was just a vessel in which she was able to take her life. She was a teenager, completely emotionally naive, probably a relationship drove her over the edge, examine the parents, they probably had a part in driving her in one way or another.

Exactly...she was probably ugly too.

Old news. Anytime a kid coughs the wrong way, they blame rock. Sad thing is, it'll probably give that gay ass MCR more street cred.

For every depressed kid who commits suicide, i'll show you a parent who wasn't there for them. <_<

Old news. Anytime a kid coughs the wrong way, they blame rock. Sad thing is, it'll probably give that gay ass MCR more street cred.

For every depressed kid who commits suicide, i'll show you a parent who wasn't there for them. <_<

yeah also for every depressed kid i will show you drugs were there for them

these kids get depressed and they start taking drugs to try and help and sometimes it does worse damage and pushes the kid over the edge

kids who are depressed and kill themselves dont decide to do it in one day there had to be signs that the parents are too fucking stupd to sometimes see or maybe they work a lot and are not home enough

but of course no one can point at the parents or the drugs they point at rock music or any kind of music because it is the easiest way to blame something without ever having to make a rational thought, i dont like emo music but they are not to blame for this type of shit

i hate EMO but i think that people are idiots when they blame music and games for everything. if someone was happy with their life and killed themselves because a song said so then they should die for being so stupid. i bet she only listened to the music because her life wasn't great and she related to the music

Not to play Devil's Advocate, because most people around here know I love EMO (Sunny Day Real Estate is my fave band), but I do believe that music, alot like drugs and other things can influence people.

Go listen to a depressing song or album....when you are already depressed, or a happy uplifting album when you are a good mood.

It will affect you.

JMO.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, because most people around here know I love EMO (Sunny Day Real Estate is my fave band), but I do believe that music, alot like drugs and other things can influence people.

Go listen to a depressing song or album....when you are already depressed, or a happy uplifting album when you are a good mood.

It will affect you.

JMO.

I find depressing music comforting when I'm in a sad mood

But more to the point; if you were to blame the music for her suicide, I would grant it if she was listening to it immediately before she killed herself, thus coroborating with your theory about music influencing mood. But the way they blame it is because they believed it became her entire life style and she killed herself because suicide is glamorized in EMO music, I'm not saying the music has zero blame, but it's not the music's entire fault, she was just young and vulnerable and not given the proper support by people close to her.

I read this on another forum, with a slightly different story... the girl's father even mentioned about how she slit her wrists, but she told him it was just part of the whole emo trend.

Now, imo, totally ignoring the whole emo thing - surely if a parent knew that their child was self harming, they would do something about it. Maybe if they'd acted on that she'd still be alive, but now her parents are blaming the music, which is pretty pathetic -.-

Oh and MCR are actually really against suicide and stuff so.. lol. what idiots :/

I think it's great. I commend this person for just taking their own life. It's too bad more of these whack jobs don't listen to emo.

so for what you wrote we could say that kids that killed other kids in schools would just kill themselves instead if they listened to emo?and me thinking that those kids needed pshycology help ....or maybe a serious*coughs* exorcism*coughs* but yeah your solution is perfect .

Music is not the only answer for this terrible events

It will affect you

With that you go to my point . Yeah a song will affect you but only according to the mood that you already are ....thats why usually when you already are depressed some people chose depressing music that helps them to get it all while others when depressed pick up the cd with their favourite songs to dance to ....to forget the problem . The thing is on this or with other examples what most of the times drives you to listen certain musics is the emotional or mind state that you are already . So maybe yes, the girl was listening to this kind of music because she saw something on emo songs wich she could identy herself , but in whatever way she felt close to that music (or even to cut herself) its caused by whatever she was feeling or living in her own private world .

I dont think a song has the evil power to make someone a killer .......thats giving an way to easy and simple explanation. Murder or suicide are things that in the end as much people try they cant, or want understand thats why they look to things that people think they can control as explanation . Like if y son doesnt listen to violent music he will be the best person in the world ....and how many times we find that people with the best education do the worst things?

Exactly...she was probably ugly too.

:rofl-lol:

I blame Days Of Our lives though.

It will affect you.

JMO.

i disagree, if you're in a great mood and listen to a depressing song, do you then get depressed? i don't. but if i'm depressed and i listen to a depressing song then i feel something along the lines of closure. listening to a song you can relate to just helps the process

It will affect you.

JMO.

i disagree, if you're in a great mood and listen to a depressing song, do you then get depressed? i don't. but if i'm depressed and i listen to a depressing song then i feel something along the lines of closure. listening to a song you can relate to just helps the process

Really.

Hmm..

A sad movie.....never moves you?

A sad song never puts a lump in your throat?

A ground-breaking piece of art, never makes you think?

And the opposite:

You never had a shitty day that was "cured" by hearing a happy song?

You never saw a uplifting movie, when you were down, that brought your spirits up?

..I think you know were I'm going with this.

?

but if i got a new job and was happy, then listened to a sad song, it wouldn't make me sad. i'd acknowledge the fact that it is sad but it wouldn't change my mood for more than 30 seconds. also if i was really pissed off about something, happy music wouldn't just make everything ok. it may bring my spirits up a bit, depending on why i'm sad or pissed. but no song would be strong enough to make me kill myself, that's just silly