Emo music attacked over teen suicide

My Chemical Romance

Ads by Google

Genre blasted again after 13 year-old 'emo girl' commits suicide

May 8, 2008

22 Comments

Various Artists news, reviews, video and tour dates

Add Various Artists to MyNME

An inquest in Maidstone has heard that Hannah Bond, a 13 year-old girl from Kent, committed suicide by hanging herself - and emo music has been blamed.

Roger Sykes, the coroner who gave the verdict of suicide yesterday (May 7), suggested that the fact that Bond was an obsessive fan of such music was linked to her death.

The inquest heard that Bond had discussed with friends the "glamour" of suicide, and was obsessed with American band My Chemical Romance (pictured). She had a picture of an emo girl with bloody wrists on her Bebo page.

Bond's father Ray explained that his daughter had had an episode of self-harm prior to her suicide, which she told him was an emo initiation ceremony.

Her mother Heather Bond, also provided some background on her interest in the genre explaining: "There are [emo] websites that show pink teddies hanging themselves. She called emo a fashion and I thought it was normal. Hannah was a normal girl. She had loads of friends. She could be a bit moody but I thought it was just because she was a teenager."

However as he gave the verdict of suicide, coroner Sykes criticised the genre saying: "The emo overtones concerning death and associating it with glamour I find very disturbing."

If you're stupid enough to kill yourself over music than the world is better off without you. My Chemical Romance probably helped to save lives in the long run.

Most of you who talk shit on the genre have never listen to any of genre's significant artist, such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Pedro the Lion, COHEED AND CAMBRIA etc.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA....? No way around it, they just suck.

http://nme.com/news/various-artists/36468

Emo music attacked over teen suicide

My Chemical Romance

Ads by Google

Genre blasted again after 13 year-old 'emo girl' commits suicide

May 8, 2008

22 Comments

Various Artists news, reviews, video and tour dates

Add Various Artists to MyNME

An inquest in Maidstone has heard that Hannah Bond, a 13 year-old girl from Kent, committed suicide by hanging herself - and emo music has been blamed.

Roger Sykes, the coroner who gave the verdict of suicide yesterday (May 7), suggested that the fact that Bond was an obsessive fan of such music was linked to her death.

The inquest heard that Bond had discussed with friends the "glamour" of suicide, and was obsessed with American band My Chemical Romance (pictured). She had a picture of an emo girl with bloody wrists on her Bebo page.

Bond's father Ray explained that his daughter had had an episode of self-harm prior to her suicide, which she told him was an emo initiation ceremony.

Her mother Heather Bond, also provided some background on her interest in the genre explaining: "There are [emo] websites that show pink teddies hanging themselves. She called emo a fashion and I thought it was normal. Hannah was a normal girl. She had loads of friends. She could be a bit moody but I thought it was just because she was a teenager."

However as he gave the verdict of suicide, coroner Sykes criticised the genre saying: "The emo overtones concerning death and associating it with glamour I find very disturbing."

If you're stupid enough to kill yourself over music than the world is better off without you. My Chemical Romance probably helped to save lives in the long run.

Most of you who talk shit on the genre have never listen to any of genre's significant artist, such as Sunny Day Real Estate, Pedro the Lion, COHEED AND CAMBRIA etc.

COHEED AND CAMBRIA....? No way around it, they just suck.

This coming from a guy who says Axl is still badass and unpredictable.

Rock and roll has been getting blamed for suicides for decades...it's nothing new.

Emo is a pretty poor excuse for rock.

I'd rather kill myself then listen to the music.

Then what is stopping you.

Rock and roll has been getting blamed for suicides for decades...it's nothing new.

Emo is a pretty poor excuse for rock.

I'd rather kill myself then listen to the music.

Then what is stopping you.

Knowing it's just a fad. Pretty soon it will be a music relic, like Devo.

Lousy music never sticks around too long.