Slave to the Grind

Vincent Vega

I know it's trendy to hate on Baz cause he dared to be friends with Axl, but I have to say, Slave to the Grind is a really good album, definately the best of Skid Row's albums. And it's not a hair metal album, it's pretty close to thrash actually.

Anyone else like it?

I guess it's not possible to dislike Baz because he's annoying and/or he writes mostly mediocre songs. Evidently if you are a hater it must be because you're a Slashite. Thanks for the insight!

Anyways, I think he's got an awesome voice (sometimes, it depends how he uses it at any particular time) but he's not much of a songwriter.

I don't like his singing on My Michelle, I do like his singing on songs such as 18 and Life and I Remember You. Those are good songs. I thought the rest of that album was too generic. I heard a few songs off of his latest album and they range from awful to simply okay. I bought Slave to the Grind recently as it seems to be the best rated Skid Row album but I haven't listened to it yet.

I saw Baz open for GN'R in 2006 and he blew me away. I loved his singing and his stage antics - bottom line it was just a fun performance to watch.

So I wouldn't call myself a hater. I like some of what he does but it's just not consistent enough, especially from a songwriting standpoint. That probably makes me a very casual fan.

I think it'd be interesting if he had an excellent songwriter to work with, kind of a Steinman to his Meatloaf.

Edited by KBear

I truly don't know how anyone can give Angel Down a grade higher than a D+

Perhaps someone with an eclectic taste?

It is too hard for me to call between Skid Row and Slave, both are immense. Subhuman Race has some top tracks too, but fewer than those two albums. But for a trio of albums... fantastic.

Of the three albums from Baz I have heard; Skid Row, Slave to the Grind and Angel Down I have loved just about every single song. Can't get enough of Wasted time and Quicksand Jesus.

Are his other albums worth a listen? Will he play songs at his gigs (seeing him on the 24th of this month:)) from albums other than the ones I have mentioned?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Might be wrong but on the conserts I've heard he usually have Frozen from Subhuman Race. Both the song and the album is shit.

Might be wrong but on the conserts I've heard he usually have Frozen from Subhuman Race. Both the song and the album is shit.

Disagree. Beat Yourself Blind, Firesign, Enemy, Breakin' Down and Subhuman Race are all good tracks. Frozen is decent.

I truly don't know how anyone can give Angel Down a grade higher than a D+

Maybe if you actually listened to it, and not bash it because it has a 2007 on the back of the cover, you might think differently........the whole fuckin world is brainwashed I tell ya! :lol:

Slave is GOOD, love Quick Sand Jesus, but I must say song for song the 1st album wins for me.

Sub Human Race was a human mistake, what the hell do you call that shit?

Edited by Getizzyback

I know it's trendy to hate on Baz cause he dared to be friends with Axl

That really is just defensive crap. When it was first reported Baz was auditioning for The Project, well before he reconnected with Axl, the vast majority of us had the same anti-Baz feelings and comments we have now. And if it really is all about Axl, then wouldn't VR fans love nothin' more than to steal Baz away now?

Uh uh. Sorry, we don't want him now for the same reasons we didn't want him then and that's cause we're not jonesing for VR to sound like schlocky 80's hair metal. When Slash came out and made that comment about Baz's audition going right where he was afraid it would go, that struck the exact chord most of us were feeling when his name first cropped up.

As much as Baz can get annoying, he's just not a hateable guy. But as a frontman, there's plenty of reasons to not want him anywhere near VR...

Edited by Turn_It_Up