Slave to the Grind

Vincent Vega

Real good hard rock album. Brings back great memories of 1991. GnR, Skid Row, Van Halen all had hit albums and tours. Then I discovered Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. Good time for Rock n Roll!

I truly don't know how anyone can give Angel Down a grade higher than a D+

Maybe if you actually listened to it, and not bash it because it has a 2007 on the back of the cover, you might think differently........the whole fuckin world is brainwashed I tell ya! :lol:

LOLZ ur rite i nver lisen 2 musik b4 1988

2nsalvo.jpg

Slave is the best skid row album.....Skid row is good, but theres a few "hair metal" songs on it I cant stand

slave is just heavy metal/thrash the whole way through....

oh and Angel down i would give a b- as well....real good album, But I wish there were more guitar solos on it...

Maybe if you actually listened to it, and not bash it because it has a 2007 on the back of the cover, you might think differently........the whole fuckin world is brainwashed I tell ya! :lol:

2nsalvo.jpg

Is that you?

2nsalvo.jpg

Is that you?

Yes, intentionally poor photo.

2nsalvo.jpg

Is that you?

Yes, intentionally poor photo.

Ah, you've aged dramatically, looking starkly like Comic Book Guy.

Edited by The Sandman

i know absolutely nothing of Skid Row, other than the couple of minutes i saw of Bach on the Rock Am Ring DVD. first impressions werent so good to be honest, he struck me as lacking a little in the dignity department..

Skid row is good, but theres a few "hair metal" songs on it I cant stand

What the hell does that mean?

What is a "hair metal" song anyways?

You like Slave better, that's great, but calling 1 album hair metal?

You can plainly tell both albums are from the same band.

The first album does nothing but rock.......

Wish we could lose the word "hair" out of these threads. :(

Actually our love for music goes beyond "hair", that term is just for

those stupid "Ronco" CDs they try and sell to the general public.

Now when a group gets labeled hair, people take them as generic, and it

gives a bad rep for a lot of good "unique" groups.

I know it's trendy to hate on Baz cause he dared to be friends with Axl, but I have to say, Slave to the Grind is a really good album, definately the best of Skid Row's albums. And it's not a hair metal album, it's pretty close to thrash actually.

Anyone else like it?

I like it...some songs more than others.

I've never really had a problem with Baz..

When I saw Skid Row open for Guns in '91 I thought they fuckin rocked.

They were the perfect opening band for Guns at the time...they really got people fired up.

The crowd wasn't bored with them while waiting for Guns...Skid Row rocked the fuckin crowds' ass off and did a damn fine job of it.

One of the better opening bands I've seen I must say.

I think it'd be interesting if he had an excellent songwriter to work with, kind of a Steinman to his Meatloaf.

maybe snake sabo, rachel bolan, scotti hill and rob affuso? :ph34r:

i think it rocks, sttg, monkey business, and get the fuck out are great.

"this party's over, so get the fuck out." :D

EDIT: i forgot mudkicker and riot act.

i also agree with the sandman, beat yourself blind is a good song.

Edited by damagedgoods

Absolutely love the album. So many great memories of it, start-to-finish.

The opening softness to Monkey Business really seems to set the tone for the album (bear with me) in that, with it's slouchy-sounding, southern, dirt-ranch style, it tells the listener that Skid Row have evolved beyond the "hair-metal" stereotype and into what a grittier 1991 was sounding like...

Slave to the Grind kicks...the fucking...SHIT out of you...

The Threat is really where I became hooked to the album. Such an awesome, catchy song. I always tried to imagine how cool it sounded live

Quicksand Jesus- WOW. Absolutely brilliant, unexpected song... Catchy and almost eerie sounding the way it travels through different tones... AHHHH this song brings back so many memories!

Psycho Love- was never a highlight for me, but a "good" song nontheless. I can name about a 1,000 songs from other band that suck in comparrison

Get The Fuck Out- How can anybody not love this song!!!? Chorus is SO catchy and slamming... the verses, in my opinion are so not what you'd expect from a supposed "hair metal" band. Bach owns on this song... The way he seems to jam a lot of words into each verse is so cool

Livin on a Chain Gang- the bridge into the chorus is awesome. Another song that I bet sounded cool as hell in a live setting

Creepshow- Not one of my favorites, but still good nontheless. B- for this song.

In a Darkened Room- Fucking RULES. Another song that reminds me of Quicksand Jesus due to its slowness, but so, so catchy and laid back

Riot Act- THIS... perhaps the highlight of the album. Fast and tough as nails... I always thought it would be so cool if they were to be playing a slower, "epic" sounding song like say, Quicksand Jesus, cut off in the middle, then break into this... then finish QJ.

Fuck it, you know the rest of the album. The last two songs are the perfect way to close it out with with Wasted Time owning.

Such an awesome album, all the way through.

I guess it's not possible to dislike Baz because he's annoying and/or he writes mostly mediocre songs. Evidently if you are a hater it must be because you're a Slashite. Thanks for the insight!

Anyways, I think he's got an awesome voice (sometimes, it depends how he uses it at any particular time) but he's not much of a songwriter.

I don't like his singing on My Michelle, I do like his singing on songs such as 18 and Life and I Remember You. Those are good songs. I thought the rest of that album was too generic. I heard a few songs off of his latest album and they range from awful to simply okay. I bought Slave to the Grind recently as it seems to be the best rated Skid Row album but I haven't listened to it yet.

I saw Baz open for GN'R in 2006 and he blew me away. I loved his singing and his stage antics - bottom line it was just a fun performance to watch.

So I wouldn't call myself a hater. I like some of what he does but it's just not consistent enough, especially from a songwriting standpoint. That probably makes me a very casual fan.

I think it'd be interesting if he had an excellent songwriter to work with, kind of a Steinman to his Meatloaf.

did you just imply that I Remember You wasn't generic?!?!

Slave to the Grind is a true hard rock album.....I get the feeling that Skid Row was produced just to get fans...it's so formulaic and like everything else that was out there, but songs like the Threat, Livin on a Chain Gang, and Monkey Business....they kicked every corner of ass.

Anyone have B-Side ourselves??? I love some of the stuff on there....Little Wing was cool.