Toronto punk scene 1976-1979

Zint

This is a pretty accurate account of Toronto's early punk scene.

Toronto was just 2 hours down the road from my hometown of London Ontario.

It wasn't long until the influence found its way to our neck of the woods (and we ended up giving them a damn good run for their money).

I saw many of the bands shown in the footage presented here.

The Viletones man...holy shit...fucking brilliant band!

I still regard them as one of the best punk bands ever.

Many many people held them in the same regard as the Pistols,in fact many people held much higher reverence for the Viletones.

Lead singer Nazi Dog was fucking insane!

Viletones released some ferocious punk vinyl back then,brilliant songs.

It was released on cd in the 90's...one of my all time fav cd's...ever.

Diodes were cool too.Saw them a gazillion times!

They mention Teenage Head....Teenage Head recently recorded a new cd with Marky Ramone on drums.Word is they are going to try to get Marky at a few shows as a surprise guest drummer.

If Teenage Head comes your way and you like old school punk...do not hesitate...go see them...bloody load of fun!

Anyway...if the origins of old school punk interests you...check out this footage.

link B)

is this like part of a whole documentry? where can i get the complete issue? :) (higher regard than the sex pistols?? OK, im interested :) that bands getting hunted *their catlogue i mean not....y'know ;) )

Edited by ffrankwhite

is this like part of a whole documentry? where can i get the complete issue? :) (higher regard than the sex pistols?? OK, im interested :) that bands getting hunted *their catlogue i mean not....y'know ;) )

No...that was actually a segment on a tv show called the New Music which was based out of Toronto.

(and used to be hosted by a long haired rocker named J D Roberts...who is now a news anchor on CNN)

The stuff on youtube featuring the Viletones really doesn't do them justice...

You didn't want to be near the front at a Viletones gig...you ran the risk of ending up in the hospital getting stitches if Nazi Dog decided to smash a bottle off your head.

Screaming Fist is a fucking amazing song!

.."thank you motherfuckers we're the Viletones,what are you"

wow man, that was really somethin...managed to dig up an EP thingie called Screamin Fist MLP?? that bass part looks way too complicated :lol: how'd you mean higher regard than the sex pistols? Nazi Dog? is that that Leckie guy?

Edited by ffrankwhite

how'd you mean higher regard than the sex pistols?

Maybe it was a territorial thing,but songs like Screaming Fist and Possibilities resonated for us moreso than God Save The Queen.

(although we did take note here in the colonies) :tongue2:

I think it was Lester Bangs who wrote in Rolling Stone in 1977 that the Viletones were the most important band in rock (or words to that effect).

The Pistols were waving the flag over there...the Viletones were tangible,driving it down our throats in the flesh.They were more than a picture in a magazine,I guess they were our Pistols.

But...a lot of people just liked them more than the Pistols,their music meant more to them.

I love the Pistols don't get me wrong (you know I do)...but I think some of the Viletones songs are better than songs like Submission and a few others.

But for intensity and honesty and being the real deal...both bands were definitely on par with each other.

A thread about the Toronto punk scene and no mention of the Forgotten Rebels? :o

Blasphemy!

Well,they are kinda mentioned in that first clip..

I haven't gotten around to telling ffrank about the Rebels yet (sssshhhhhhh).

I'm not sure how he's going to feel about songs like Elvis Is Dead..or..No Beatles Reunion :tongue2: .

Anyhoo...Forgoteen Rebels were not from Toronto..they weren't unique to the Toronto scene.

They were from Hamilton.

Hamilton had it's own small scale scene going on (that's where Teenage Head is from too actually).

It was beneficial for proximity bands to align themselves with the Toronto scene,it resulted in easier access to gigs.

Forgotten Rebels tended to belong to the whole Southern Ontario scene,everyone felt the band was part of what was going on in their town.The band toured incessantly and practically showed up on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

To me,they were every bit as much a part of the London scene as they were the Toronto scene.

Definitely not forgotten.They still play gigs and the place is packed each and every time.

They are one of the bands that have transcended generations,teenagers to middle-agers still turn out to see them.Kids today tend to get what they were/are about.

Back in the day,Rebels gigs were just god damn insanely fun...just one of the best shows you could see on a homegrown level.I saw them...geez...it would have to be literally dozens and dozens of times.

is this like part of a whole documentry? where can i get the complete issue? :)

ffrank,I was mistaken

I watched this youtube footage again and noticed it said on the screen "punk 76-79".

That jogged my memory (or what's left of it).

The youtube clip I posted was only a segment of a two (2 1/2??) hour special that aired back in the 80's.

It was called Punk 76-79...the second hour of the documentary is basically videos and performance footage from the era...some rare ones.It's ALL very cool!

I recorded the whole thing...still have it.

I think the segment I was telling you about some time ago is in it.

An interviewer makes a comment to John Lydon that punk was all about fashion.John says "no it wasn't,it was about the songs you great fool...interview over"...he pulls off the mic and walks out. :lol:

Maybe I'll try to post the whole thing on youtube one day...(I'll add it to the list). ;)

ffrank,I was mistaken

I watched this youtube footage again and noticed it said on the screen "punk 76-79".

The youtube clip I posted was only a segment of a two (2 1/2??) hour special that aired back in the 80's.

It was called Punk 76-79...the second hour of the documentary is basically videos and performance footage from the era...some rare ones.It's ALL very cool!

An interviewer makes a comment to John Lydon that punk was all about fashion.John says "no it wasn't,it was about the songs you great fool...interview over"...he pulls off the mic and walks out. :lol:

Maybe I'll try to post the whole thing on youtube one day...(I'll add it to the list). ;)

please do :):)

and i think i've seen that interview before. im not sure if im mistaking it with another one but did it also have like members of PiL in it who start looking like they're gonna get rowdy right before it cuts off? or is it an australian one im thinkin of?

ffrank,I was mistaken

and i think i've seen that interview before. im not sure if im mistaking it with another one but did it also have like members of PiL in it who start looking like they're gonna get rowdy right before it cuts off? or is it an australian one im thinkin of?

No,this one was filmed around the time of the first Pistols' reunion tour...(in Toronto I think).

In fact,the other guys are sitting in the room.Steve's going..."aw come on John,don't go".

They all had "here he goes again" smirks on their faces.

ffrank,I was mistaken

No,this one was filmed around the time of the first Pistols' reunion tour...(in Toronto I think).

In fact,the other guys are sitting in the room.Steve's going..."aw come on John,don't go".

wow, i never seen that one before...please do post it when you have a moment :) by the way, on a total tangent but do any of the following ring a bell and if they do, d'ya like em? :)

Teengenerate

Celia & The Mutations

Cheetah Chrome Motherfuckers (i know who Cheetah Chrome is but who the fuck are these folks?

Child Molestors

Disorder

Hangover

Jerks

Killjoys

kjott (huh?)

Last Words

Laughin Nose

Pain

ffrank,I was mistaken

wow, i never seen that one before...please do post it when you have a moment :) by the way, on a total tangent but do any of the following ring a bell and if they do, d'ya like em? :)

Teengenerate

Celia & The Mutations

Cheetah Chrome Motherfuckers (i know who Cheetah Chrome is but who the fuck are these folks?

Child Molestors

Disorder

Hangover

Jerks

Killjoys

kjott (huh?)

Last Words

Laughin Nose

Pain

A couple of them sound sightly familiar...nothing jumping immediately to mind.