Kiss!!!

Chris Axl

Ace however, is one of the coolest.

I wouldn't go that far. Too much gimmick, not enough great playing.

:o When I listen to KISS it barely registers that they are playing in all their gear, all you take notice of is the music, and the music used to be phenomenal. I don't know how you can listen to Alive! and say that Ace isn't anything short of mindblowing.

There are lots of virtuosos who are boring as hell.

Ace oozes cool on Alive,he had his own style...I'll take unique over the Malmstein's any day.

"mindblowing" and Ace are not 2 things that really go together. Sure he's not a bad player, but mindblowing?

As for poor Yngwie, oddly enough I think the same idea applies, too much gimmick (in this case speed) and no real substance.

Ace however, is one of the coolest.

I wouldn't go that far. Too much gimmick, not enough great playing.

:o When I listen to KISS it barely registers that they are playing in all their gear, all you take notice of is the music, and the music used to be phenomenal. I don't know how you can listen to Alive! and say that Ace isn't anything short of mindblowing.

There are lots of virtuosos who are boring as hell.

Ace oozes cool on Alive,he had his own style...I'll take unique over the Malmstein's any day.

"mindblowing" and Ace are not 2 things that really go together. Sure he's not a bad player, but mindblowing?

As for poor Yngwie, oddly enough I think the same idea applies, too much gimmick (in this case speed) and no real substance.

oh hey...I didn't say mindblowing! :tongue2:

Ace has entertained me many times live on stage (in a t-shirt and jeans I might add).

A guy like Clapton for me is like watching paint dry.

Eric Clapton could have presented himself in platforms and makeup and called himself Zorgy from Saturn with his ray-gun guitar and I still wouldn't have connected with him.

Clapton bores me,doesn't mean I think he's a lousy guitarist.

Clapton's"God"..blah blah..yeah I get it...he mastered the instrument.

Ace connects with me on a street level,I get it.It does something for me.

Clapton mastered American Blues...yay for him...there's nothing there for me.

Most of his songs do absolutely nothing for me.I find them dull and monotonous (except for a few).

He's a way better guitarist than Ace...doesn't make him a "cooler" guitarist..which is where this part of the discussion started from.

Clapton bores me,doesn't mean I think he's a lousy guitarist.

Clapton's"God"..blah blah..yeah I get it...he mastered the instrument.

Ace connects with me on a street level,I get it.It does something for me.

Clapton mastered American Blues...yay for him...there's nothing there for me.

Most of his songs do absolutely nothing for me.I find them dull and monotonous (except for a few).

He's a way better guitarist than Ace...doesn't make him a "cooler" guitarist..which is where this part of the discussion started from.

I agree, Clapton is boring as hell.

Rock has always been about two things, image and music, and probably image comes slightly before music. Image doesn't just mean stage moves and clothes, either, it's kind of the way the music is presented, but separate from the music itself.

Clapton has never moved me. Everybody always talks about Tears in Heaven. Sorry, I know the subject is exceptionally emotional, but I just don't hear it in the song.

Clapton is probably on that 'most overrated' list with Kurt Cobain.

Clapton is talented, don't get me wrong, love the guy... but Clapton is GOD? :blink:

No - BUCKETHEAD is GOD. Clapton is some good 'ole boy that knows his way around a guitar.