weres all the love for Jam Bands/ Southern Rock

GUNSNROSES513

Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker Band, ZZ Top, Greatful Dead, Black Crowes, Gov't Mule.

These are some of the best bands ever imo. Anyone else think so, almost never see any love for them here.

I also want to get into The Greatful Dead, any recomendations.

I love the Allmans and the Crowes. I wouldn't consider the Dead Southern by any stretch of the imagination, but I can make tons of recommendations. For studio stuff, a good start would be American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. As far as live stuff, the list is endless. For starters try out Live Dead, Europe '72 and One from the Vault. There are quite a few websites where you can download jam band shows for free(legally). Try archive.org and bt.etree.org for starters-if you want any picks for specific shows to dl feel free to pm me.

seeing widespread again this summer...can't wait

I'm a pretty big deadhead myself self - definitely check out the live albums - live in 72, any boots from pre-72 era (with pigpen) are top notch, live dead, fillmore 70 and 71 are amazing live at the garden from 88 is worth checking out, ect.

as far as studio goes -

for more experimental dead, check out Anthem of the Sun and Aoxomoxoa

for poppy dead check out American Beauty, Working Man's Dead, Blues for Allah, and In the Dark

As far as other jammy bands...

Disco Biscuits

Umphrey McGee

Sound Tribe Sector 9

Widespread Panic

Phish

Ween

The Black Angels

My Morning Jacket

Edited by stevGNR666

Jam bands = boring.

Jamming is cool if you are the one jamming, and it's also cool to jam for a minute here and there in the context of a longer song.

To have a set consisting of five songs, each with about 4 lines of lyrics and 20-25 minutes of jamming is boring as hell. No thank you.

The Black Crowes need to go back to what they used to be and stop being another boring jam band.

Jam bands = boring.

Jamming is cool if you are the one jamming, and it's also cool to jam for a minute here and there in the context of a longer song.

To have a set consisting of five songs, each with about 4 lines of lyrics and 20-25 minutes of jamming is boring as hell. No thank you.

The Black Crowes need to go back to what they used to be and stop being another boring jam band.

that's one way to look at it. if you into a quick fix.

jam bands, at their best, are a fusion of rock instrumentation in a jazz format which produces images and artistry that focus on movement through improvisation to reach climax.

if you find that boring then I'm sorry.

Gov't Mule are awesome, I saw them live - they were absolutely amazing.

Allman Brothers are sick, Midnight Rider is one of my favourite songs. Works awesome in the opening scene of Devils Rejects aha.

Love all that kinda stuff.

Black Stone Cherry are like a heavier version of the genre - I love them too.

xDSGx