Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

I downloaded Cobalt Squadron audio book:

DhltG93h.jpg

And order the accompanying book, Bomber Command:

xyu5opMh.jpg

Call me a glutton for punishment, but Im hoping to get at least something of value out of The Last Jedi :lol:

Edited by soon

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

you're mixing in a food reference in the books thread :lol: 

Can you do a book reference in the eating thread ? ;)

Ha, I even caught that auto correct while I was drafting the post and fixed it. How did it go back again?!? 

Hmmm, maybe I should create a gluten heavy recipe audio book? This anti-gluten madness ends here! :lol:

1 minute ago, soon said:

Ha, I even caught that auto correct while I was drafting the post and fixed it. How did it go back again?!? 

Hmmm, maybe I should create a gluten heavy recipe audio book? This anti-gluten madness ends here! :lol:

I'm gonna be checking your posts for food based puns/errors now :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

I'm really enjoying the Jane Hawk series, I'm on the Crooked Staircase. 

He has written a lot of great books, but seemed to write one a month for a while and they just weren't very good imo. But he's back! Although nothing can touch Swan Song, that's my absolute favorite of his. 

I know I love this series. Jane Hawk is a wonderful hero.

I just finished The Forbidden Door the next one in the series is called "The Night window" it will be released in May of 2019.

I've been reading Dean for a long time and I've loved his books. I think this series is one of his best ever.

I read Animal Farm a couple of weeks back. Really dug it! Funny coincidence, the other day when I was at a friends home, I saw the book on a shelf, asked him about it and he had just got it but hadn't started reading it yet. None of us really reads books so it was cool that he had recently gotten it as well.  I've been meaning to read some classic "must reads" for years. Not sure what to read next. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

This book is superb,

51U6DRA6sJL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sometimes short populist histories give you a a greater swoop, a more general comprehension, than more specific and academic case studies. The authors use of maps to illuminate aspects (better than text could) is remarkable.  

PS

Finite.

If there is one debating point it is that the author sees East-Elbian Germany as a sort of (state subsidized) backwater full of extremist male yokels and that 1871-1945 is a sort of aberration whereby East-Elbia seized control over the destiny of liberal-industrialising-capitalising western Germany. This is true during the Roman Empire which conquered, later Christianised, the Rhineland and part of the south (Magna Germania), the east remaining a jungle full of naked pagan savages. This is true during the middle ages, the Rhineland region being the core area of the Carolingian Renaissance. It was true during the French Revolution and Napoleon, the west looking towards France. It was true during the Second Reich when the Prussian Junkers seized control over Germany. It was true during the Third Reich, Hitler receiving much of his votes from East-Elbia.

He still sees this situation being enacted today with the rise of the right-wing Alternative für Deutschland and extreme left Die Linke today both of whom get their key support from the east, both of whom hate the EU, Americanization, NATO, etc etc.

He is clearly a Merkel fan haha, although cannot really explain her decision in 2015 on migrants and concedes it was a dog's dinner of a policy. (He'd die a fright at the recent news, of the Hessen election and resignation).

He basically goes to the extent of proposing that Berlin should never have been chosen as capital again in 1991 (indeed, it was just narrowly voted so). 

Irrespective, I'm sure there are historians out there willing to challenge this view, take a more pro-Prussian view (even he has to concede Frederick the Great's adoption of The Enlightenment).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Friedrich der Große,

91QSTbEVBpL.jpg

Complicated man. Frenchified woofter yet foremost German military genius who laid the groundwork for Prussia assuming the mantle of German history. Patron of the Enlightenment - the arts, sciences, philosophy, music, Neo-classicism - who ran a state which become synonymous with iron discipline and sturdy well drilled military. Played a mean flute and composed (his compositions are worth listening to today) yet a conqueror in the mold of an Alexander or a Caesar.  

Edited by DieselDaisy

I know it's not reading but is anybody doing The Great Courses?  It's college level information on a variety of subjects.  You can watch online and get a DVD, audi course.  Love that site, everything from history to learn this, lots of stuff.  You can check it out here:  https://www.thegreatcourses.com/  Don't buy anything full price.  They have 80% off all the time and every month they give you free lectures.  I just watched one on the great palaces of the world.  I only got one palace (one lecture free) but I might add that to my X-Mas list.

• Like 1