Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

43 minutes ago, cineater said:

I know it's not reading but is anybody doing The Great Courses?  It's college level information on a variety of subjects.  You can watch online and get a DVD, audi course.  Love that site, everything from history to learn this, lots of stuff.  You can check it out here:  https://www.thegreatcourses.com/  Don't buy anything full price.  They have 80% off all the time and every month they give you free lectures.  I just watched one on the great palaces of the world.  I only got one palace (one lecture free) but I might add that to my X-Mas list.

This looks like my cup of tea,

https://www.thegreatcourses.co.uk/courses/the-decisive-battles-of-world-history.html

Plataea 479 BC, Actium 31 BC, Sekigahara 1600, Poltava 1709, Quebec 1759, Trafalgar 1805, Leipzig 1813, Marne River 1914, Stalingrad 1942 - to name just a few. 

I'll bookmark for a later date (I have a lot happening right now).

11 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This looks like my cup of tea,

https://www.thegreatcourses.co.uk/courses/the-decisive-battles-of-world-history.html

Plataea 479 BC, Actium 31 BC, Sekigahara 1600, Poltava 1709, Quebec 1759, Trafalgar 1805, Leipzig 1813, Marne River 1914, Stalingrad 1942 - to name just a few. 

I'll bookmark for a later date (I have a lot happening right now).

I know, they have some cool shit.  I think it's all backed by National Geographic.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:02 PM, CheapJon said:

I read Animal Farm a couple of weeks back. Really dug it! Funny coincidence, the other day when I was at a friends home, I saw the book on a shelf, asked him about it and he had just got it but hadn't started reading it yet. None of us really reads books so it was cool that he had recently gotten it as well.  I've been meaning to read some classic "must reads" for years. Not sure what to read next. Any suggestions?

I enjoyed that one too! I struggle to get myself reading fiction but I love it once I commit. 1984, also by Orwell, might be a good fit for your next read.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My reading plan for this week:

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 

J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 

I've read the Harry Potter novels plenty of times, but I never get bored of this book series. 

Edited by Sosso

7 hours ago, wasted said:

Do you think the Jennifer Aniston sex tape would swsy Hitler to not invade Poland. 

He was rather asexual Hitler although he liked the company of young frivolous pretty women, Eva Braun being a good example as well as his secretaries. You can see an aspect of this in the colour footage filmed at Berchtesgaden. That doesn't mean a mountain of literature hasn't been written on Hitler's sexuality, most of it bunk. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Addendum.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

He was rather asexual Hitler although he liked the company of young frivolous pretty women, Eva Braun being a good example as well as his secretaries. You can see an aspect of this in the colour footage filmed at Berchtesgaden. That doesn't mean a mountain of literature hasn't been written on Hitler's sexuality, most of it bunk. 

They were probably all on prescribed amphetamines? 

It always surprises me there’s nothing we can offer rogue leaders that will just make them surrender. 

" Sometimes I Lie" by Alice Feeney

It's her first book and it takes place in the UK. I love reading books that take place in the UK. Love how they call so many things differently from the US versions.

Anyway, so far it's very good.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:50 PM, Sosso said:

51tmvapERdL.jpg

Didn't he die? How is he making new books when he's dead?