Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

8 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

If anyone has written a book about a place outside Yorkshire, I don't want to know.

512Zejp80ZL.jpg

Is that because all the ones written about Yorkshire have lift up flaps so the locals don't get confused? :P 

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Couldn't walk up myself as I'm dodgy with heights. 

I am also dodgy with heights. We both run. Think AFD is great. Like to cook. We're splitting images of each other. Basically, I love you.

On topic: Reading Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944, by Antony Beevor at the moment. Wait, we both read war literature! Mind. Blown.

Edited by SoulMonster

20 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am also dodgy with heights. We both run. Think AFD is great. Like to cook. We're splitting images of each other. Basically, I love you.

On topic: Reading Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944, by Antony Beevor at the moment. Wait, we both read war literature! Mind. Blown.

Pity Market Garden didn't work. The war may have been over by Christmas. Bit of a logistical mess, Paras dropped miles from their designation, poor reconnaissance (two SS Panzer Divisions in the area), etc. 

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Yeah, I am.

I am as well if I’m honest but I’m too arrogant to let it show.  Not all heights mind, just unsecured ones, ones where you can see the drop and a push or a stumble would do the job.  No one I know actually knows I have this and its a lot less than before, simply by just going to high places and trying my best to deal with it.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I am as well if I’m honest but I’m too arrogant to let it show.  Not all heights mind, just unsecured ones, ones where you can see the drop and a push or a stumble would do the job.  No one I know actually knows I have this and its a lot less than before, simply by just going to high places and trying my best to deal with it.

Same here. I sit with my head glued to the plane windows when the plane turns, enjoying it incredibly. But put me up in a ladder and I start shaking. I also suffer from the "high places phenomenon." I ran across the Golden Gate Bridge earlier this year and had to stay as far away from the railings as possible to keep it in check. Really weird stuff.

Anyway, when I do a lot of mountain hikes where it is a bit "airy" and exposed, I get better.

How can a city rat like yourself get exposed to high places? From roof-top bars?

24 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Same here. I sit with my head glued to the plane windows when the plane turns, enjoying it incredibly. But put me up in a ladder and I start shaking. I also suffer from the "high places phenomenon." I ran across the Golden Gate Bridge earlier this year and had to stay as far away from the railings as possible to keep it in check. Really weird stuff.

Anyway, when I do a lot of mountain hikes where it is a bit "airy" and exposed, I get better.

How can a city rat like yourself get exposed to high places? From roof-top bars?

Walk over bridges, the London Eye, various dodgy theme park rides.  Also the few times I’ve been to Kashmir I’ve found myself in some terrifying and actually practically quite dangerous heights.  One was like a rope bridge with wooden slats for the bit you walk on...and some would be broken and missing...and everytime you stepped on it the fuckin’ thing rocked.  The local kids used to jump off it into the river below and it was a SERIOUS fuckin’ drop too.

I can't be having ladders either.  And I ain't even talking about getting right on top, I get halfway up and I'm fuckin' shitting it but again, its not something I've ever let anyone know, you just crack on with things I suppose.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Walk over bridges, the London Eye, various dodgy theme park rides.  Also the few times I’ve been to Kashmir I’ve found myself in some terrifying and actually practically quite dangerous heights.  One was like a rope bridge with wooden slats for the bit you walk on...and some would be broken and missing...and everytime you stepped on it the fuckin’ thing rocked.  The local kids used to jump off it into the river below and it was a SERIOUS fuckin’ drop too.

Makes me squeezy just reading it.

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Same here. I sit with my head glued to the plane windows when the plane turns, enjoying it incredibly

Me too, I usually don't mind heights, but oddly enough I did hesitate for a moment when I was in the CN tower in Toronto standing on a glass floor like in the picture. But when I was on the rooftop of the Rockefeller building looking down I felt fine. You've been to either of those places? 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cn tower toronto glass floor

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Me too, I usually don't mind heights, but oddly enough I did hesitate for a moment when I was in the CN tower in Toronto standing on a glass floor like in the picture. But when I was on the rooftop of the Rockefeller building looking down I felt fine. You've been to either of those places? 

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cn tower toronto glass floor

I did the same on the Empire State Building. Very proud. 

On ‎26‎.‎02‎.‎2019 at 4:28 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

If I did this pants would be shat 

I probably would have turned around if other people weren't waiting behind me and kind of pushed me forward :lol:

Reminds me of when I was a kid and visiting Preikestolen in Norway on a school trip. It's a nice little mountain "block" with a pretty loooong drop. Naturally, I didn't get close to the edge (compared to friends who sat at the edge with their feet dangling outside like retards) until a cute girl asked me if I could take a photo straight down from the edge. I don't know why she asked the scared boy (maybe she was evil?) but anyway, I edged forward on my stomach, slowly, inch by inch, enough to be able to stretch my hands over the edge and then just chanced that the photo I took was any good. I might have taken a photo of my own ashen face as it was glued to the plateau. 

Here is a couple of photos. Preikestolen was last seen in the last Tom Cruise movie.

Bilderesultat for preikestolen

This is pretty much what I was aiming for, but couldn't at all get that close to the edge:

And the view for those daring to sit on the edge (how the hell could the teachers allow my school mates to do that!?!)

Bilderesultat for preikestolen fall

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I probably would have turned around if other people weren't waiting behind me and kind of pushed me forward :lol:

Reminds me when I was a kid and visiting Preikestolen in Norway on a school trip. It's a nice little mountain "block" with a pretty loooong drop. Naturally, I didn't get close to the edge (compared to friends who sat at the edge with their feet dangling outside like retards) until a cute girl asked me if I could take a photo straight down from the edge. I don't know why she asked the scared boy (maybe she was evil?) but anyway, I edge forward on my stomach far, inch by inch, enough to be able to stretch my hands over the edge and then just chanced that the photo I took was any good. I might have taken a photo of my own ashen face as it was glued to the plateau. 

Here is a couple of photos. This mountain crop was last seen in the last Tom Cruise movie.

This is pretty much what I was aiming for, but couldn't at all get that close to the edge:

And the view for those daring to sit on the edge (how the hell could the teachers allow my school mates to do that!?!)

Bilderesultat for preikestolen fall

I'd do it just to not look like a pussy but I'd be fuckin' petrified :lol:  If you went boo I'd probably go right off the fuckin' edge :lol:

One of my friends, as he was sitting on there dangling his feet over the edge, jumped down to a small shelf just below, turned around and climbed back up again, to what must have been endless nightmares to our teachers who sat behind and surely saw it all. Astonishes me to this day. Both the moronic courage and the fact that the teachers didn't suffer PTSD afterwards.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'd do it just to not look like a pussy but I'd be fuckin' petrified :lol:  If you went boo I'd probably go right off the fuckin' edge :lol:

Thing is, when I get close to heights like that, with no support, I start shaking uncontrollably and feel like fainting. I simply don't trust I won't fall over by mistake. 

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

One of my friends, as he was sitting on there dangling his feet over the edge, jumped down to a small shelf just below, turned around and climbed back up again, to what must have been endless nightmares to our teachers who sat behind and surely saw it all. Astonishes me to this day. Both the moronic courage and the fact that the teachers didn't suffer PTSD afterwards.

Thing is, when I get close to heights like that, with no support, I start shaking uncontrollably and feel like fainting. I simply don't trust I won't fall over by mistake. 

Same here, you fuckin' sort of freeze and get this mildly giddy feeling...but I can't be lookin' like a pussy man :lol:  Juvenile I know but there it is.