Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

On 5-5-2019 at 7:30 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

"I know who you are" by Alice Feeney

It's her second book. She's a writer from the UK. Her first book was so good and so suspenseful. It had so many twists and turns. This book seems to be as good. I love finding new authors.

If you like edge of your seat mysteries, this is the author for you.

Got her first one on Kindle after your recommendation. I'll let you know what I think :)

I just read Duff's It's So Easy. I never read biographies, so this was my first GNR book. I liked it.

On 18/04/2019 at 11:21 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Been reading Mein Kampf recently.

Facinated with Hitler and the Nazis really intresting time in history ( not a neo nazi btw guys ) 

It is boring as fuck isn't it?  And every copy of it you find has like massive apology prefaces and 50,000 footnotes per page basically telling you what a load of bollocks it is.  He tends to ramble a fair bit.  One book I've always wanted to read, for some morbid reason, is The Gates of Janus, the book Ian Brady wrote whilst in nick.

53 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It is basically the ramblings of a mad man attempting to justify his shear evil.

Cock end but it still fascinates me 

Gramsci's prison writings and letters are also somewhat scatter-brained, but at least they arent promoting evil. And this collection of his prison writings even has Hitler on the cover, so you'll prolly like it

gramsci.pdf

http://abahlali.org/files/gramsci.pdf

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He wrote it in prison, dictating, Hess typing; Hess and I think Bormann had to do significant editing/drafting just to make it publishable. 

Could've used that in Nuremburg if he'd've hung it out (pardon the pun), 'what?!  what is this, I was writing a childrens book!'

I visited Nürnberg once, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice town! I also went to the location where Hitler's bunker used to be in Berlin, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice parking lot!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I visited Nürnberg once, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice town! I also went to the location where Hitler's bunker used to be in Berlin, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice parking lot!

It'd be interesting to visit like, former sites of Nazi interest, I mean in the sense that a lot of it was so grand, I'd be curious to know what was done with it all. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

It'd be interesting to visit like, former sites of Nazi interest, I mean in the sense that a lot of it was so grand, I'd be curious to know what was done with it all. 

This is one of my favourite subjects in the world - Nazi architecture haha.

Not a great deal of it was actually built due to the war, and what was built was destroyed due to post-war denazification. The Reich Chancellery and Führerbunker were both destroyed by the Red Army as was the Wolf's Lair (Hitler's eastern front headquarters). Many of the Nazi buildings on Berchtesgaden were also destroyed by the allies. What remains had to have an utilitarian function for it to survive allied denazification, and be stripped of all Nazi iconology. Perhaps the most famous survival is the Olympic Stadium, Berlin, which of course got a revamp before the 2006 World Cup - you however can still see the distinct bell tower. I'll not post it as it is so famous. 

Göring's Aviation Ministry, Berlin, still remains and is now the seat of the German Finance Ministry. Then,

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-074-36A,_Berl

Now,

1280px-Berlin,_Mitte,_Wilhelmstra%C3%9Fe

The Reichsbank, Berlin, survives. It is now used by the foreign office,

800px-Foreign_Office_Berlin_2007_003.jpg

Moving to Nürnberg, the rostrum on the Zeppelinfeld still survives (I'm really surprised that survives actually). Then, 

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-C12701,_N%C3%BCrnb

Now,1280px-Reichsparteitagsgelaende_Zeppelin

And yes, just about every tourist who stands there does the Hitler greeting haha.

The Kongresshalle also survives,

1280px-Kongresshalle_N%C3%BCrnberg1.jpg

The Academy for (Hitler) Youth Leadership, Braunschweig, survives,

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1988-106-21,_Braun

Braunschweig_HJ-Akademie_Sueden_(2006).J

In Munich the Haus der Kunst survives,

1280px-Haus_der_Kunst_(M%C3%BCnchen).jpg

Then there are various buildings which precede the Nazis, but which the Nazis appropriated such as the Ehrenhalle (built just before Hitler came to power to commemorate the world war one dead), Nürnberg,

maxresdefault.jpg?resize=395,222&ssl=1

1024px-Ehrenhalle_nuremberg_2006.jpg

Much of the localities of the Munich Beer Hall Putsch of 1923 are unchanged, including the Feldhernhalle (built 1841),

Bundesarchiv_Bild_119-1426,_Hitler-Putsc

320px-Feldherrnhalle_M%C3%BCnchen.jpg]

The small street on the left (looking at picture) is where Hitler and the Nazis were fired upon in 1923. This become an important, almost religious, landmark for the Nazis once they came to power in 1933, commemorating the blood martyrs of 1923.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is one of my favourite subjects in the world - Nazi architecture haha.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-074-36A,_Berl

Now,

1280px-Berlin,_Mitte,_Wilhelmstra%C3%9Fe

800px-Foreign_Office_Berlin_2007_003.jpg

Now,1280px-Reichsparteitagsgelaende_Zeppelin

A late Canadian Singer-Songwriter had this to say in a song about the drudgery of working in big box stores like Walmart or Ikea. And I think its a fair comparison, from Matt Osborne's track Reduced To Clear

"Working in a big grey concrete box/ Have to squint to see the ceiling/ And Albert Spear is somewhere laughing"

Listen:

Spoiler

A sample clip of track (sadly doesnt have that lyric): https://www.beatport.com/track/reduced-to-clear-original-mix/3177582

Can be heard in full on spotify and other streaming services https://open.spotify.com/album/3PQ2NB3KD7RFYuYR4B0FCq

Edited by soon

I sat on those steps of the Feldherrnhalle in Munich. Come to think of it... I've spent quite some time in cities that were prominent in Hitler's life... Vienna, Berlin, Munich... but I swear it's all a coincidence!

• Haha 1

The little street to the left is the most interesting. That is where the Nazis marched (well really walked) down during the 1923 putsch. They were fired on, and Hitler absconded. Hitler was subsequently arrested and imprisoned where he wrote Mein Kampf and planned to turn the NSDAP away from revolutionary paramilitarism and towards (faux) constitutionalism. 

The 1923 Putsch provided the Nazis with a sort of mythos. Every year, 9th November was commemorated there. A SS guard was permanently stationed. The 16 Blutzeuge, those Nazis who were killed, were commemorated. Their sarcophagi were placed in the Ehrentempel built near by, 

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-S22310,_M%C3%BCnch

This was blown up by the Americans as part of denazification.

10 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Thinking of buying an e-reader, do any of you have one, would like some input on Kindles before I buy one.

Yes, I have a Kindle Paperwhite. I have had it for like 4 years now, I think. I was hesitant to get it, because I really love books. To read, of course, and to just have them too :lol: But now I find I still buy some paper books, but find it hard to read them. A Kindle is so much easier. These days I don't have that much time to read, so I usually just read in bed before going to sleep. And it's great I don't need a bedside light to read anymore. Also, when on holiday, having a Kindle with loads of books on there beats stuffing your luggage full of books. It's just so handy to put it in your bag and take it everywhere. Also, you don't need a bookmark or remember the page you got to.

The only con I can think of is that I don't find it easy to go back to a certain scene or page if I want to reread a certain paragraph or sth. But that may be me. It's possible, but I haven't really used the function, so not handy with it.

I get my e-books from Amazon, it's a one click buy, so if you have wifi, you can just get it in an instant. Battery life is really great too. I always have it in aeroplane mode, unless I'm buying a book.

As I said, I've had it for many years now and use it daily really. I suppose newer versions are a lot better and far more advanced than mine. But I can only recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Hades" by Candice Fox

It's her first book. I found this author when she co-wrote books with James Patterson.

I've since read three of her books and she's an amazing suspenseful author.  She's from Australia, so when she describes the cities and towns, I feel like I can see it.

I love finding new authors. She is one of the best.

I see love reading a real book. I love holding a book in my hands and read it. I don't like to stare at a screen when I'm reading. That's just me.

On 12-5-2019 at 8:16 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I see love reading a real book. I love holding a book in my hands and read it. I don't like to stare at a screen when I'm reading. That's just me.

I'm with you, no matter how handy an e-reader might be, I want to hold a real book in my hands and I can't imagine ever using an e-reader.

"Eden" by Candice Fox

On 5/16/2019 at 4:55 PM, EvanG said:

I'm with you, no matter how handy an e-reader might be, I want to hold a real book in my hands and I can't imagine ever using an e-reader.

I agree with you so much. I love buying books and reading them the old way. lol It relaxes me and  I hope authors never stop writing actual hard cover books. I would hate it.