Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

516hvesF12L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Greek statesman Polybius ( c.200–118 BC) wrote his account of the relentless growth of the Roman Empire in order to help his fellow countrymen understand how their world came to be dominated by Rome. Opening with the Punic War in 264 BC, he vividly records the critical stages of Roman expansion: its campaigns throughout the Mediterranean, the temporary setbacks inflicted by Hannibal and the final destruction of Carthage. An active participant of the politics of his time as well as a friend of many prominent Roman citizens, Polybius drew on many eyewitness accounts in writing this cornerstone work of history.

• Like 2

Has anyone read Normal People by Sally Rooney?

Its a romance which I dont read many of. I think Uncle Moses is the only other romance Ive read (where romance is one of a number of central story lines). But I heard a conversation about Normal People on the radio and Im looking forward to getting a copy.

On 5-5-2019 at 7:30 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

"I know who you are" by Alice Feeney

It's her second book. She's a writer from the UK. Her first book was so good and so suspenseful. It had so many twists and turns. This book seems to be as good. I love finding new authors.

If you like edge of your seat mysteries, this is the author for you.

Got her first one on Kindle after your recommendation. I'll let you know what I think :)

I just read Duff's It's So Easy. I never read biographies, so this was my first GNR book. I liked it.

On 18/04/2019 at 11:21 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Been reading Mein Kampf recently.

Facinated with Hitler and the Nazis really intresting time in history ( not a neo nazi btw guys ) 

It is boring as fuck isn't it?  And every copy of it you find has like massive apology prefaces and 50,000 footnotes per page basically telling you what a load of bollocks it is.  He tends to ramble a fair bit.  One book I've always wanted to read, for some morbid reason, is The Gates of Janus, the book Ian Brady wrote whilst in nick.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It is boring as fuck isn't it?  And every copy of it you find has like massive apology prefaces and 50,000 footnotes per page basically telling you what a load of bollocks it is.  He tends to ramble a fair bit.  One book I've always wanted to read, for some morbid reason, is The Gates of Janus, the book Ian Brady wrote whilst in nick.

It is basically the ramblings of a mad man attempting to justify his shear evil.

Cock end but it still fascinates me 

53 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

It is basically the ramblings of a mad man attempting to justify his shear evil.

Cock end but it still fascinates me 

Gramsci's prison writings and letters are also somewhat scatter-brained, but at least they arent promoting evil. And this collection of his prison writings even has Hitler on the cover, so you'll prolly like it

gramsci.pdf

http://abahlali.org/files/gramsci.pdf

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He wrote it in prison, dictating, Hess typing; Hess and I think Bormann had to do significant editing/drafting just to make it publishable. 

Could've used that in Nuremburg if he'd've hung it out (pardon the pun), 'what?!  what is this, I was writing a childrens book!'

I visited Nürnberg once, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice town! I also went to the location where Hitler's bunker used to be in Berlin, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice parking lot!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I visited Nürnberg once, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice town! I also went to the location where Hitler's bunker used to be in Berlin, I didn't expect much of it, but it's a nice parking lot!

It'd be interesting to visit like, former sites of Nazi interest, I mean in the sense that a lot of it was so grand, I'd be curious to know what was done with it all.