Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

On 8/12/2019 at 2:50 PM, action said:

salem's lot (stephen king) one of the very first "big" novels that i've read. I still come back to this from time to time, for the excellent characters this book paints. this is one of my favorite king novels. it's been a couple of years. i feel like having another go at it

You should see how long "IT" is to read. lol

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Foreign policy is a lefty thing? I really wish we'd get to guide it in that case! haha

I mean, Im satisfied with the amount of War of 1812 history that I read on the back of local craft beer bottles and boxes of Laura Secord chocolates. 

But you being my historian I will add this to my marathon reading list, thanks. If, that is, you would read a book from my marathon Canadian books list?

Whats good, other than scooners, about this book and author? (Hits-Man who writes about war!! Stranger than fiction!)

It is an oldie but a masterpiece. 

42 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bollocks to that lefty crap. This is the type of Canadian history you should be reading,

413D9JT2AXL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I saw on the tv show 60 minutes how Russia is now in Africa mining for diamonds and gold. They're also supposed to be doing army shit, but the one news reporter talked to the natives there and they told her what they are really doing. Russia has hired alot of locals to mine the diamonds and gold.

What I want to know is, if the world knows this, why are they allowing Russia to take this stuff from the African nations?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They all look a bit left-wing, of a ''beat my native Canada up with a gigantic big stick'' persuasion.

Whereas your book seems to be of a "beat up Native Canadians with a gigantic big stick" persuasion. 

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Whereas your book seems to be of a "beat up Native Canadians with a gigantic big stick" persuasion. 

''Native Canadians''? There is a fair bit about the first nations, but the book is predominately a military history between the USA and Great Britain/nascent Canada. 

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

''Native Canadians''? There is a fair bit about the first nations, but the book is predominately a military history between the USA and Great Britain/nascent Canada. 

There wasnt simply a war between two colonial forces over someone else's land. Also, some Indigenous tribes had allegiances with or fought on either side at various points.

Speaking of which, plenty of the books on my list arent really lefty. They are about the Indigenous and Metis experience. What have you got to loose by reading one?

52 minutes ago, soon said:

There wasnt simply a war between two colonial forces over someone else's land. Also, some Indigenous tribes had allegiances with or fought on either side at various points.

Speaking of which, plenty of the books on my list arent really lefty. They are about the Indigenous and Metis experience. What have you got to loose by reading one?

But equally this wasn't simply a war between indigenous tribes fighting on either side. But I do agree the native element is often overlooked; as this historian summarises,

The big losers in the war were the Indians. As a proportion of their population, they had suffered the heaviest casualties. Worse, they were left without any reliable European allies in North America ... The crushing defeats at the Thames and Horseshoe Bend left them at the mercy of the Americans, hastening their confinement to reservations and the decline of their traditional way of life

- Hickey, Donald R

Time and a list of ''to be read'' a mile long. I am currently re-reading The Coming of the Third Reich, Richard J. Evans.

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

But equally this wasn't simply a war between indigenous tribes fighting on either side. But I do agree the native element is often overlooked; as this historian summarises,

- Hickey, Donald R

Time and a list of ''to be read'' a mile long. I am currently re-reading The Coming of the Third Reich, Richard J. Evans.

That Donald fellows got a great way with words. So I guess this confirms that I should be suspicious of my colonial, warring and exploiting home country then? Or "beat my native Canada up with a giant stick" by way of reading books. History supports lefty-lit :P

I will say Im looking forward to reading about scooners. My life is light on maritime warfare and reading about tall ships seems like a right of passage.

18 minutes ago, soon said:

That Donald fellows got a great way with words. So I guess this confirms that I should be suspicious of my colonial, warring and exploiting home country then? Or "beat my native Canada up with a giant stick" by way of reading books. History supports lefty-lit :P

I will say Im looking forward to reading about scooners. My life is light on maritime warfare and reading about tall ships seems like a right of passage.

If you get into the ''historic guilt'' thing, it immediately becomes a question of, ''where do you draw the chronological line?'. And I should add, ''where do you assign the guilt?. I don't see many museums on the slave trade in Africa or Turkey, do you?''. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If you get into the ''historic guilt'' thing, it immediately becomes a question of, ''where do you draw the chronological line?'. And I should add, ''where do you assign the guilt?. I don't see many museums on the slave trade in Africa or Turkey, do you?''. 

The guilt is not historic in this case. Ottawa is on un-ceded and un-surrendered land! 

I find value in being rooted in ones place, so I would go to the origins of Canada.  Im currently focused on Louis Riel, the Metis revolutionary "father of Manitoba." And understanding Canadas origins illuminate's that the colonial project isnt merely history but an ongoing reality that requires address. Like the Metis are still only now starting to receive some of the rights Riel fought for. The genocide isnt locked away in history either! The feds just released injury into missing and murdered indigenous women and girls (because until now cops just didnt bother to investigate 1000's of cases!) concluded that the situation constituted an ongoing genocide. https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Supplementary-Report_Genocide.pdf Full report: https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/final-report/

So I would draw the chronological line to the origins of this unjust colonial system that has all its own hallmarks and systems. Let Africans tell their stories there and we need to even just begin to unpack ours here. Learn how to be treaty people.

(Many of the treatise that Ive lived under are based on the Two Row wampum so that is another way that we have a unique story with a clear beginning imho)

Yeah, the government doesn't care about the Native Americans because they don't have the numbers like some other races in America.

I know it was progress in coming to America, but it doesn't make it right what the white men did to the Native Americans. It was their country too.

It seems every race of people who come to America after the British were not treated well at all. It's amazing people still want to come here.

Every show I watch about immigrants coming to America shows how mistreated they all were and how they called them terrible names and make them do horrible jobs.

It was like a rite of passage for every immigrant who came here because there was some terrible thing going on in their native country and they hoped for a better one here.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, the government doesn't care about the Native Americans because they don't have the numbers like some other races in America.

I know it was progress in coming to America, but it doesn't make it right what the white men did to the Native Americans. It was their country too.

It seems every race of people who come to America after the British were not treated well at all. It's amazing people still want to come here.

Every show I watch about immigrants coming to America shows how mistreated they all were and how they called them terrible names and make them do horrible jobs.

It was like a rite of passage for every immigrant who came here because there was some terrible thing going on in their native country and they hoped for a better one here.

One almost does get to the point of wondering why racialized people would want to move there! But I guess for most the situation is so bad that it’s still an improvement? What a mess indeed.

and it gets tricky when occupied Palestinians flee to Canada and then are sometimes occupying native land here. Palastindian is sometimes the term, hehe. 

I believe that most people, with out fear mongering leaders and media would want to offer people a safe and good life on their country if they were actually confronted with people real life suffering.

happy labour day!

when the forum was down I was kicking myself for having written down my reading list only on this forum!! Luckily it didn’t last long! :lol:

I know I've been asking myself the same thing.

My great grandparents were from Sicily and my mom wishes she would have asked them why they came to America and how their lives were when they arrived? I know they worked hard, became citizens and bought a home. they never said they missed Sicily and were happy to be here.  My mom's uncles worked in factories all their lives and never complained. lol

I watched alot of tv shows that show different people from different countries coming to America and it seems all of them were treated horribly and some are still being treated this way. I guess America is better than where they're from? I don't know the answer, but America is a land of immigrants and I hope one day everyone will be treated with the respect they deserve and everyone treats America that way too.

• Like 1