Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

ALfcYj9h.jpg

"Set in the 1990s, Legacy deals with violence against a young Indigenous woman and its lingering after-shocks on an Anishinaabe family in Ontario. Its themes of injustice, privilege and those denied it, reconciliation and revenge, are as timely as today’s headlines."

I have had my head buried in this book for the last four hours. It is rather a personal history, part cultural, of ''old Bohemia''. It is a little erratic but I liked it. The great characters emerge, Ottokar II, Charles IV, Rudolph II, Rabbie Loew (of Golem fame), Jan Huss (who was inspired by ideas from England, Wycliffe), František Palacký and the Revolution of 1848, Masaryk and the founding of the republic. It is astonishing to think Prague had been a Czech-German-Jewish city for at least 700 years and in how little time this changed relatively recently; the Jewish community was wiped out by the Holocaust and the German community, those who hadn't fled to the inner Reich, were booted out during post-war reprisals by the Czechs. Centuries of, not always it has to be said, peaceful, tri-cultural co-existence came to an end c.1943-5! 

One other interesting aspect is the Czech language almost died out until it was revived by an active romantic nationalist movement commencing from the 18th century. It is perfectly possible to conceive an alternative version of history during which Czech became a minority language, like Breton, and Prague a city of the German sprache. 

51Y5CKS2DZL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Often return to this period in British history, and this is my default ''one-volume'' on the subject. Perhaps the trigger has been a visit to Banqueting House, site of execution of Charles I (1649)? Book focus more than usual on the Celts than usual. Bishops' Wars, Irish Rebellion, Montrose Rebellion, Engagers, etc.  

51aIfVDyU7L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61qubMnNmTL.jpg

The Trial, The Castle, Metamorphosis, et al. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
Added Kafka

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I just started 'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margot Artwood. 

After having watched all three season of the show I thought I'd dive into the original material.

So far, so good.

Such a beautifully written book, even given the subject matter.

the sequel was just released and is winning awards. I’m not reading reviews so I can go in spoiler free.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Need suggestions, please.

Im interested in learning more about Hitlers drug use/addictions.

Specifically Im interested in how mass produced drugs whose use and sale are desirable to the aims of industry and capitalism intersect with leadership. As far as I understand, there were store bought amphetamines that were common in Germany before and during Hitlers ascendancy? If so, thats the type of info Id like to explore more of.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, soon said:

Need suggestions, please.

Im interested in learning more about Hitlers drug use/addictions.

Specifically Im interested in how mass produced drugs whose use and sale are desirable to the aims of industry and capitalism intersect with leadership. As far as I understand, there were store bought amphetamines that were common in Germany before and during Hitlers ascendancy? If so, thats the type of info Id like to explore more of.

Thanks!

Hitler's physician, Theodor Morell, had him on about 60 pills by the end of the war. A list of them can be found on his wikipedia page,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Morell

Hitler was stoned off his tits basically by the time of the Führerbunker, which accounts for his loosening grasp of reality which escalated during the war years. Historians still debate on whether Morell's prescriptions contributed to the Führer's decline in health (visible tremors of the hand, etc) - an Elvis or Jackson scenario in otherwords. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Thanks 1

On November 15, 2019 at 7:00 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Hitler's physician, Theodor Morell, had him on about 60 pills by the end of the war. A list of them can be found on his wikipedia page,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodor_Morell

Hitler was stoned off his tits basically by the time of the Führerbunker, which accounts for his loosening grasp of reality which escalated during the war years. Historians still debate on whether Morell's prescriptions contributed to the Führer's decline in health (visible tremors of the hand, etc) - an Elvis or Jackson scenario in otherwords. 

That list is so much more wild then I could have ever imagined! In addition to the bull semen and other testosterone supplement he also ate shit, so to speak. Something about the notion of culturing human feces and then feeding it the the Furher makes sense, somehow.

"Mutaflor®: Emulsion of Escherichia coli-strains - enteric coated tablets for improvement of intestinal flora. They were prescribed to Hitler for flatulence in 1936, the first unorthodox drug treatment from Morell; bacteria cultured from human feces, see: "E. coli")[20]"

46 minutes ago, soon said:

That list is so much more wild then I could have ever imagined! In addition to the bull semen and other testosterone supplement he also ate shit, so to speak. Something about the notion of culturing human feces and then feeding it the the Furher makes sense, somehow.

"Mutaflor®: Emulsion of Escherichia coli-strains - enteric coated tablets for improvement of intestinal flora. They were prescribed to Hitler for flatulence in 1936, the first unorthodox drug treatment from Morell; bacteria cultured from human feces, see: "E. coli")[20]"

Flatulence? Must have been mortifying being subjegated by der Fuerer's farts, especially in that bunker. Vegetarian of course.

• Haha 1

There are quite a few treatments in development today based on the consumption of live E. coli bacteria. The idea of eating beneficial bacteria is also used in various probiotics products (and they were really trendy a few years back), and we do it more "naturally" when we eat yoghurt and some other types of food where the bacteria used in their production still remains.

The thing with E. coli is of course that it is a gut bacteria. From the gut bacterium's point of view, we humans are just cultivation vessels for them. We provide them with fresh food, a stable temperature, and beneficial movement. And every time we poop we reduce the number of bacteria in our guts because our feces is comprised of up to 50 % gut bacteria, allowing the remaining bacteria to grow and divide. In fermentation language, humans are a continuous culture for bacterial cultivation. E. coli is not a dominant feces bacterium, by far, but naturally there are some similarities between the smell of poo and the smell of an E. coli culture, or in other words, the smell of shit contains the smell of E. coli. It also kind of look like poop if you grow large volumes of it, and then centrifuge the content so you end up with a visible lump of E. coli cells.

On November 17, 2019 at 7:59 AM, SoulMonster said:

There are quite a few treatments in development today based on the consumption of live E. coli bacteria. The idea of eating beneficial bacteria is also used in various probiotics products (and they were really trendy a few years back), and we do it more "naturally" when we eat yoghurt and some other types of food where the bacteria used in their production still remains.

The thing with E. coli is of course that it is a gut bacteria. From the gut bacterium's point of view, we humans are just cultivation vessels for them. We provide them with fresh food, a stable temperature, and beneficial movement. And every time we poop we reduce the number of bacteria in our guts because our feces is comprised of up to 50 % gut bacteria, allowing the remaining bacteria to grow and divide. In fermentation language, humans are a continuous culture for bacterial cultivation. E. coli is not a dominant feces bacterium, by far, but naturally there are some similarities between the smell of poo and the smell of an E. coli culture, or in other words, the smell of shit contains the smell of E. coli. It also kind of look like poop if you grow large volumes of it, and then centrifuge the content so you end up with a visible lump of E. coli cells.

Im burping too much. So I should just set some agar, drop a deuce on it, then add some yeast and sugar? Consume the resulting culture? :lol:

14 minutes ago, soon said:

Im burping too much. So I should just set some agar, drop a deuce on it, then add some yeast and sugar? Consume the resulting culture? :lol:

Well, you got the cultivation of gut bacteria pretty much nailed down. I'd drop the agar though and do a liquid culture instead. 

Not sure how drinking gut bacteria would help with burping. But I say, do it.

14 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, you got the cultivation of gut bacteria pretty much nailed down. I'd drop the agar though and do a liquid culture instead. 

Not sure how drinking gut bacteria would help with burping. But I say, do it.

Hitlers Dr said it would help.

But I always find that when I introduce a new strain of probiotic to my biome that I need to have home field toilet and a scented candle. So I will check the official GNR mech store for one.