Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

• 2 weeks later...

Resistance Reborn, Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

By Rebecca Roanhorse 

(with a book title so convoluted one might question the authors ability! but its great so far, finally seeing Rey and Leia bond is cool!)

Edited by soon

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

How was that? Just curious since the ideas gave birth to so many atrocities. I bet it was fascinating.

Its a quick read if your curious, just check it out! https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/

I'd note that it did not inspire the French, Dutch, English and Spanish to colonize The Americas by way of genocide and dispossession. It didnt inspire the Trans Atlantic slave trade that built the United States. Nor did it inspire Islamic State. This, to me, suggests that it is the existence of the State itslef that is to be held to the highest scrutiny and even contempt, no matter of the States ideology. And as a pleasant twist Marx envisioned the prols eventually making the State obsolete :headbang:

currently reading a history book about the region of flanders in the years 1648 - 1815 because I want to know how my known ancestors lived.

England, france, spain and holland all fought for this little wealthy  of land, now called belgium.

just more proof that size does not matter, it's what you do with it that counts.

Edited by action

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just about all of Marx's predictions turned out to be bollocks.

Hmm, well, yes and no. But luckily Marxist cannon includes all sorts of criticisms and corrections, anyways.

I think you are referring to Marx's notion of Historical Determinism? Which, yes, many of his contemporaries disagreed with too. Most notably many of the anarchist contingent of the First International. But Marxs other 'predictions' have consistently proven themselves - The idea that Capitalism cannot be tamed, the fact that workers will see and feel its contradictions and desire a more just employment situation. And it is these true and salient points that are brought forward in the manifesto.

Even Trotsky disagreed with Marxs predictions about state power. Just as when we say "Marx" in context of the manifesto, we actually mean Marx and Engels. So to when we say "Marxist thought", we mean a huge group of people. So we can hold his very astute critique of capitalism dear while having different prescriptions for what to do about it, just as many Marxists have done over the years. Therefore his prediction about the central importance of the proletariat in their own liberation is also true.

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Hmm, well, yes and no. But luckily Marxist cannon includes all sorts of criticisms and corrections, anyways.

I think you are referring to Marx's notion of Historical Determinism? Which, yes, many of his contemporaries disagreed with too. Most notably many of the anarchist contingent of the First International. But Marxs other 'predictions' have consistently proven themselves - The idea that Capitalism cannot be tamed, the fact that workers will see and feel its contradictions and desire a more just employment situation. And it is these true and salient points that are brought forward in the manifesto.

Even Trotsky disagreed with Marxs predictions about state power. Just as when we say "Marx" in context of the manifesto, we actually mean Marx and Engels. So to when we say "Marxist thought", we mean a huge group of people. So we can hold his very astute critique of capitalism dear while having different prescriptions for what to do about it, just as many Marxists have done over the years. Therefore his prediction about the central importance of the proletariat in their own liberation is also true.

It is all a load of cobblers really and led to some of the most brutal regimes in history.

2 hours ago, action said:

currently reading a history book about the region of flanders in the years 1648 - 1815 because I want to know how my known ancestors lived.

England, france, spain and holland all fought for this little wealthy  of land, now called belgium.

just more proof that size does not matter, it's what you do with it that counts.

Sounds fascinating. Im curious, why is the land so wealthy and sought after? i think many of us over here - certainly myself - just think that the rich Euro nations simply have "old money." That old school aristocracy just handed down wealth from a past era. But I figure there must be resources or trade passages that bring wealth to Belgium?

1 minute ago, soon said:

Sounds fascinating. Im curious, why is the land so wealthy and sought after? i think many of us over here - certainly myself - just think that the rich Euro nations simply have "old money." That old school aristocracy just handed down wealth from a past era. But I figure there must be resources or trade passages that bring wealth to Belgium?

belgium was just very fertile ground back in the day, close to the sea and traversed by many rivers.

also, belgium is stuck right in the middle between england, france, germany and the netherlands. when goods travel, good chance they have to pass through belgium's harbors or railways. you remember that pestering kid at school that said "when you want to pass here, you have to pay toll"? that's belgium. except, we didn't get the chance to ask "toll", since at any point in time somebody else called the shots on our ground. spain, austria, france,... they all bossed us around

• Thanks 1