Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

History of the French Navy by Ernest Harold Jenkins

Nelson's Navy: The Ships, Men and Organisation, 1793 - 1815 by Brian Lavery

Naval Warfare in the Age of Sail - War at Sea 1756-1815 by Bernard Ireland

On 5/27/2020 at 8:13 PM, Len Cnut said:

What do you make of his work?

I like his stuff. Bureaucracy. Jobs worthyness. Rules and regulations. ''The System''. The general insanity of modern living. Much like Orwell who he is often compared with, his work is strikingly modern and pertinent. 

PS

I visited his house. It is in Golden Lane, the Prague Castle complex. It is now a bookshop. Bought a book there, the Golem and other mysteries of Jewish Prague, but my nephew nicked it when I got back so I have had that!

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From A Certain Point of View (Star Wars), 2017

40 storytellers tell 40 new A New Hope stories from the perspective of background characters. Biggs gets one, as does Aunt Beru. Even the monster from the trash compactor gets a story. One of the stories is written and narrated by Ashley Eckstein, thats how I found it. All proceeds to a book charity too!

"Testament" by David Morrell

Once for two or three years, I return to this book. I almost know it all by heart, yet it still touches me deeply. It's so nerve-wracking and heart-breaking. I still can't believe it wasn't filmed. Definitely Morrell's best.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:04 PM, soon said:

You prolly saw this mentioned in the other thread, but Patterson wrote the GNR kids book!

He did. I didn't know that. I know Patterson has written many books for kids too as well as teens.

I met him once during a book signing. He was super nice to all his fans. Have been reading him a long time. My mom loves him too. 

His books with the character of Alex Cross are amazing. When he started writing these books some people thought he was black since Alex is black and writing about a black family ilving in Washington DC was spot on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

He did. I didn't know that. I know Patterson has written many books for kids too as well as teens.

I met him once during a book signing. He was super nice to all his fans. Have been reading him a long time. My mom loves him too. 

His books with the character of Alex Cross are amazing. When he started writing these books some people thought he was black since Alex is black and writing about a black family ilving in Washington DC was spot on.

I wonder if Team Brazil read this thread to decide on an author and saw that some fans read Patterson?? Maybe - who knows? You could have been part of that process!! lol

Cool, he sounds like a good guy. Seems like you've got to meet a few of your fav authors and actors? Thats f'n rad!! :headbang:

23 hours ago, soon said:

I wonder if Team Brazil read this thread to decide on an author and saw that some fans read Patterson?? Maybe - who knows? You could have been part of that process!! lol

Cool, he sounds like a good guy. Seems like you've got to meet a few of your fav authors and actors? Thats f'n rad!! :headbang:

Yeah, but ever since book stores have closed no one has come to Dallas anymore. That sucks. But luckily my favorite authors keep writing and I'll keep reading. I have found a few news mystery writers in the past few years. I still love holding a book in my hands and reading that way.

Currently reading:

Home before Dark by Riley Sager

• Like 1

Battle for Empire: The Very First World War 1756–63 (1998) by Tom Pocock
Remember Nelson – The Life of Captain Sir William Hoste (1977) by idem.
Stopping Napoleon: War and Intrigue in the Mediterranean (2004) by idem.
The Pursuit of Victory: The Life and Achievement of Horatio Nelson by Roger Knight 
Sahib: The British Soldier in India 1750–1914 (2005) by Richard Holmes
Trincomalee: The Last of Nelson's Frigates (2002) by Andrew Lambert - currently reading.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Wellington's Army in the Peninsular, 1808-14 (1977) by Michael Glover
Jack Tar: Life in Nelson's Navy (2009) by Roy & Lesley Adkins

The latter relays a story where a seaman was found in flagrante with a pig! The poor pig was thrown overboard by the person who discovered the deed; the seaman was put on trial by court martial. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

On July 22, 2020 at 11:35 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Wellington's Army in the Peninsula, 1808-14 (1977) by Michael Glover

The latter relays a story where a seaman was found in flagrante with a pig! The poor pig was thrown overboard by the person who discovered the deed; the seaman was put on trial by court martial. 

Please just read Star Wars and leave all this fabulous Navy shit alone.

On 22/07/2020 at 4:35 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Wellington's Army in the Peninsula, 1808-14 (1977) by Michael Glover

Good thing this wasn’t in Hartlepool. The seaman would have been hailed a hero and the pig would have been tried as a French spy. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are the books as bad as the films?

Going to live at sea with a bunch of young men is better than Empire Strikes Back?

I'd suppose if naval homoeroticism is your bag, that now ESB could scratch that itch for you since we've now seen Chewie and Han shower together. :lol:

16 hours ago, soon said:

Going to live at sea with a bunch of young men is better than Empire Strikes Back?

I'd suppose if naval homoeroticism is your bag, that now ESB could scratch that itch for you since we've now seen Chewie and Han shower together. :lol:

I thought you disliked Empire Strikes Back?