Books/Reading Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only for political reasons

I can't make it out the writing is too small, does it say The Holy Duran ? if it has anything to do with Simon Le Bon then it's a no from me

He dies at the end.

Posted Images

20 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

James Patterson's The mid wife murders.

Reading a lot helps me keep my mind off the horrors that are going on right now.

Yeah, Im finding that audio books are really helping me escape lately.

Im still working my way through a super long book on the Grateful Dead. And Star Wars audio books are fun because they have all the sound effects, music and alien voices.

Just now, action said:

my god, is "the name of the rose" ever a slog to get through.

I'm an experienced reader, but this book kicks my ass.

And with experienced reader you surely mean the entire Suske en Wiske catalogue?

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, EvanG said:

And with experienced reader you surely mean the entire Suske en Wiske catalogue?

I see your suske en wiske, and I raise you an urbanus

Edited by action
4 hours ago, action said:

I see your suske en wiske, and I raise you an urbanus

I read both, but I prefer Urbanus... I think I still have several of his comics lying around somewhere at home, I loved them as a kid.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I read both, but I prefer Urbanus... I think I still have several of his comics lying around somewhere at home, I loved them as a kid.

i love the humour of it. childish but wicked. and political incorrect.

3 minutes ago, action said:

i love the humour of it. childish but wicked. and political incorrect.

Totally, it was quite unconventional but in a good way. I don't think the character ''het negerke'' would have much of a chance nowadays.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Totally, it was quite unconventional but in a good way. I don't think the character ''het negerke'' would have much of a chance nowadays.

my favorite was the pig shitting on the head of the royal family, from the balcony above.

• Like 1

British Sieges of the Peninsular War, 1811-13 By Frederick Myatt

The Spanish Ulcer: A History of the Peninsular War, Gates, Dr David

An Atlas of the Peninsular War, Ian Robertson

The British Army Against Napoleon: Facts, Lists and Trivia, 1805-1815 (2010) Robert Burnham

Seven Years Campaigning in the Peninsular and the Netherlands 1808-15 by Richard D Henegan

The Peninsular War: A New History (2003) by Charles Esdaile 

Soldier of the 71st: Journal of a Soldier of the Highland Light Infantry (1819) Anon

An Ensign in the Peninsular War: The Letters of John Aitchison (1981) id 

Currently I am re-reading,

Poland: A History (2009) by Adam Zamoyski

I got a book stand and I am loving it!! It mainly stays in my breakfast nook, and I might even get another one or two. Definitely one more for cookbooks in the kitchen.

• Like 1

Just finished Birds of America by Lorrie Moore. It's a collection of short fiction focusing on the mysteries of life. It's a very easy read, engaging and if you like dark humour, this is for you. 

• Thanks 1

We Are Water Protectors, written by Carole Lindtrom and illustrated by Michaela Goade

The End of the Wild, by Nicole Helget

Kids books! :lol: Ive been reading over video chat with the kiddos in my world.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The God Delusion

Worst book I have ever read in my entire life. I barely got through it (skim read the last few pages). Pretentious, arrogant, biased drivel. 

Biased? Oh the irony. :lol: 

Killing for Company: The Case of Dennis Nilsen (1985) by Brian Masters.

What the new three-part ITV drama, Des starring David Tennant, is based on * - Brian Masters is indeed a prominent character in the drama. 1983-5, Masters wrote this biography through multiple interviews, even receiving manuscripts from the serial killer. It is biographic, psycho-analytical, poetic-romantic and horrendously disturbing in equal measure. 

* Indeed, recently reissued in accordance.

Edited by DieselDaisy

On the Trail of the Yorkshire Ripper: His Final Secrets Revealed (2019) by Richard Charles Cobb.

Forensic scrutiny of crime scenes, then and now, through mapping and photography. Essential for understanding Sutcliffe's reign of terror and modus operandi. The author also posits two-three interesting theories of his own.