Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

CHAOS: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties - Tom O'Neill with Dan Piepenbring

If you're Into The Charles Manson Case/ The Late 60's/ The CIA/ 60's Hollywood/ MKULTRA, This Is The Book You Need To Read!!

I haven't Read it, got It for my Mum. Amazing Read!

The Author was Recenty on Joe Rogan.

Edited by YouCouldBeMine_2029
Adding Grammer
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 4:29 PM, soon said:

Capital Vol 1: A Critique of Political Economy by Karl Marx

You can't simpy read this book. You have to study it. I would also recommend to read:

Marx: Wage, Labour and Capital (1847)

Marx: Critique of the Gotha Programme (1875)

Engels: Anti-Dühring (1878)

Edited by Sosso
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 4:27 PM, Gracii Guns said:

I chose this book on assurance that it wasn't touchy-feely self help. I'm three short chapters in and the author is already using terms such as The Universe and "raising your frequency". 

I felt a great justice in writing a one star Amazon review. 

_20201212_222428.JPG

I checked this author out, she seems to have a "badass" obsession. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

By Bill Bryson? 

No, but this first-time author’s account is making me consider Bryson’s book. I’m normally reading more serious non-fiction. But over the break I wanted a mental break and this adventure memoir category really hit the spot. 

• Like 1

This was a gift from my sister who's undergrad is in psychology. I don't agree with everything he says, mostly because he's an atheist who can't comprehend how a theist can be intelligent or happy. But I respect his principles, he's intellectually honest and as a result of this book, I deleted my Twitter account. Worth every penny for that. :D

41d8IArNFKL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished this in six weeks (read most of it during the final two weeks of Trump's Presidency, the last third over the last four weeks):

220px-A_Promised_Land_(Barack_Obama).png

Really enjoyed it.  Should be required reading for anyone taking a civics class. 

Obama does a great job of explaining what it means to be President in the 21st century.  Whether you agreed with his politics or not, he lays out his though process on some of the biggest decisions during his Presidency.  

The last chapter is surprisingly suspense filled and just flat out perfect storytelling; juxtaposing the dangers of one threat being put down (Osama bin Laden) with the rise of a new threat (Trump).  

Very recommended.

Currently reading:

It's a fictional fever dream in which Carrey's fantastical mind and moments from his life are intertwined.

Really different but thoroughly enjoying it.  Definitely not for everyone.  Has a stream of conscious dynamic that may not appeal to some.  Extremely absurd and at times very dry (but also funny).  

Highly recommended for anyone who enjoyed Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.  It has a similar vibe.   

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gracii Guns said:

Currently reading. I am now both informed and angry in equal measure. 

9781471192678.jpg

Was the motherhood penalty as a result of offside and if so how did she know? :lol: 

*hides* :lol: 

• Haha 1

" The Scorpions's Tail" by Preston and Child

On 1/3/2021 at 9:24 AM, ssiscool said:

So other than the 3 autobiographies by Duff, Slash and Steven and then Reckless Road, What GNR related books would people recomend?

This isn't about GNR, but if you're a fan of Paul Stanley of KISS, his book is very good as well as Dee Snider of Twisted Sister.