AC/DC's exclusive deal with Wal-Mart

Zint

Guest knerken
International people: distribution outside of the US is different, the last Eagles CD was available in HMV, on amazon, and plenty of other places.

Sounds good. Will buy the album, even though I am SICK of AC/DC.

Can't begrudge the artists for exploring any and all alternatives for the album releases at this point...

I can...when a deal is struck at the expense of all the other retail outlets that have faithfully stocked their cd's and dvd's for years.

It's a harsh kick in the nuts.

Don't be shocked if GN'R make a move like this with the CD albums.

This deal worked out really well for Garth Brooks & The Eagles. So i'm not shocked. I expect more artists to do it, and with the fact that GNR's last original album was released in 1991, I think it's very very likely.

The only problem is that Wal-Mart refuses to carry anything that's deemed 'explicit' which is lame ass. They carry R-rated movies, but not explicit albums. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if GnR did it, nothing surprises me anymore. I am upset people are brainwashed by Wal Mart. Lower prices, we all love that but lets look at their pro censorship stance:

10 years ago Sheryl Crow had a song on her album that mentioned "a kid killing another kid with a gun he bought at a Wal Mart store".

Wal Mart pulled the album, banned Sheryl Crow. This song wasn't even a single but it pissed off the Wal Mart fucks and they have the power. Here's the real kicker, the story is true. The kid got the gun at Wal Mart.

A few years ago I bought a CD at Wal Fuck, brought it home and it was full of 'bleeps', covering up the 'dirty words'. I took it back.

I've heard stories how Wal Fuck sold the "Titanic" movie when it was a huge deal, they cut out the nude scene. Thanks Wal Fuck!!

Buying GTAIV was the first 'media' that I had bought at Wal-Mart in YEARS.

My final straw was when I tried to buy a Wrestling video years ago, and they said I had to be older than 17, because it was a WWF (at that time) video.

Apparently DX chops, "suck it" & Austin middle fingers are R-rated. That was it, never bought any media there after that.

Don't be shocked if GN'R make a move like this with the CD albums.

This deal worked out really well for Garth Brooks & The Eagles. So i'm not shocked. I expect more artists to do it, and with the fact that GNR's last original album was released in 1991, I think it's very very likely.

Surely how well those albums sold has nothing to do with the fact that they were stocked exclusively at Wal-Mart.  Stocking exclusively at one retailer (no matter how pervasive they are) only limits the number of places fans can find the CD.  That said, of course GB and the Eagles were paid handsomely by Wal-Mart. My point is, if you want to maximize unit sales you do not limit yourself to one retailer.

The only problem is that Wal-Mart refuses to carry anything that's deemed 'explicit' which is lame ass. They carry R-rated movies, but not explicit albums. :rolleyes:

It's kinda funny - I think the only album I ever purchased at Wal-Mart was Lies.  It has both One in a Million and You're Crazy in all their glory.  Of course, that was quite a while ago.

I agree with just about everyone in this thread - deals like this suck for fans and for all the other retailers (who are better quality retailers than WM when it comes to music - 'course WM sucks for most things, so perhaps that's not saying much).  I truly hope Axl does not make this move.  I want to say it's not like him to do make this kind of deal but I am not so sure what Axl stands for anymore.

Edited by KBear

Wow. I never thought I'd boycott an AC/DC album. I boycott all Mall Wart products and this will be no exception. If it is a good album I will be very angry.

Fuck you Wal Mart, fuck you Angus, and fuck you, bitch!

I agree on that. I'll just be a downloading motherfucker then. :xmasschef2:

Unfortunately the new album will feature a new DRM that if you download ripped tracks from the album on the internet, chains will shoot through the wall penetrating your entire body, and your soul will be ripped apart by Pinhead.

Unfortunately the new album will feature a new DRM that if you download ripped tracks from the album on the internet, chains will shoot through the wall penetrating your entire body, and your soul will be ripped apart by Pinhead.

:confused: OK, the walls are unable to be penatrated by anything! I'm ready for the chains, I'll put Dokken in and "NO MORE...BREAKING THE CHAINS!!!!!!"

What's the big deal about Wal-Mart here anyways? This is AC/DC we're talking about, it's not like they curse up a storm on their albums anyways.One of their covers was nothing but black once! The're album covers are not graphic, except maybe the aussie press of High Voltage, which was back in 1974!I'm sure when you buy the CD at Wal-Mart you will get it the way it was meant to be got.

Probally some piece of shit cardboard album cover though, I hate those covers...

I think it's got more to do with "it's fun to hate Wal-Mart" craze people are on. I hate Wal-Mart, but I also hate that they are very necessary in my life, and YES I have to use them quite a bit for stuff.

It won't be hard to find AC/DC's new album when it drops, because if it's anything like Garth Brooks' Greatest Hits & The Eagles' Long Road Out Of Eden last year, they'll have posters all over the place, and MULTIPLE racks scattered throughout the store with the albums on it.

I'm hoping they do a big AC/DC thing, because I never bought the re-mastered stuff. I'd love to walk into Wal-Mart later this year, and be able to pick up all of their albums re-mastered, as well as the new album, at a special price.

I think it's got more to do with "it's fun to hate Wal-Mart" craze people are on. I hate Wal-Mart, but I also hate that they are very necessary in my life, and YES I have to use them quite a bit for stuff.

Your opinion on Wal-Mart is unclear. You criticize people for being "trendy" in hating Wal-Mart (bullshit, the parking lot is always full and a madhouse, it ain't trendy), yet you say you hate Wal-Mart.

Your opinion on Wal-Mart is unclear. You criticize people for being "trendy" in hating Wal-Mart (bullshit, the parking lot is always full and a madhouse, it ain't trendy), yet you say you hate Wal-Mart.

It's a mindfuck, I know. :rofl-lol:

I hate Wal-Mart, I hate that I need them, and I hate that other people act as if they are any different from me. Like they say "I hate Wal-Mart, so I boycott it"... then the next day... YOU SEE THEM IN WAL-MART.

It's like that South Park episode.

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart once in the last four years, other than after last Christmas, but only because someone got me a gift card there, even though that's the ONE FUCKING THING I SPECIFICALLY ASKED NOT TO GET. I figured if the money was already given to them and there was no way to return the card for cash, the least I could do was take their shit :lol:

But I know exactly what you mean, that does happen with a lot of people.

But it does piss me off, especially, when there is a proposed Wal-Mart to be built, and the whole fucking town shows up to picket outside the building site (more like a destruction site), but the Wal-Mart forces its way into town anyway, despite total opposition.

I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart once in the last four years, other than after last Christmas, but only because someone got me a gift card there, even though that's the ONE FUCKING THING I SPECIFICALLY ASKED NOT TO GET. I figured if the money was already given to them and there was no way to return the card for cash, the least I could do was take their shit :lol:

But I know exactly what you mean, that does happen with a lot of people.

But it does piss me off, especially, when there is a proposed Wal-Mart to be built, and the whole fucking town shows up to picket outside the building site (more like a destruction site), but the Wal-Mart forces its way into town anyway, despite total opposition.

And the day it opens, everyone is shopping there, the same ones who were protesting the last six months.

Lightweights.