Gmail ate my password...

nameless_girl

It honestly did. A little while ago, everything was perfectly fine, and then today I attempted to sign in, and no such luck! I keep getting the "Username and password do not match" message, which is ludicrous, because I didn't even get a chance to misspell either of them, seeing as I've got Google Mail set to remembering both, and have had it that way since I can remember. Then I attempted to type them both in as I do when I check my e-mail on public computers, not my laptop, and it still didn't work! I tried resetting my password by e-mailing another account I have set up on a different provider, but I haven't received anything yet, so I'm starting to get a little panicky. Someone please tell me Google is having temporary issues of its own that will get sorted soon enough without costing me my entire account. :(

Edited by nameless_girl

^It could be just an accident from you. Have you logged on from computers in public use lately? This happened to some kid at my school. She forgot to log off and some morons sent mail through her account but they couldn't change the password as you need the original to change it but I'm sure it's not impossible to dig it from cookies, keyloggers etc. when you're already logged in.

I really hope everyhthing turns out fine though. I would personally contact Google about possible errors with your account/their e-mail service or to find out if it's hacked or something similar.

Well, this seems to be a futile situation; no one else is experiencing the same malfunction. You're all meant to reassure me, dagnabbit. Do you really think it's possible it somehow got hacked? :blink:

Just give it some time for the mail with the password to come through on your other account. If you've reset it by pressing the button, then it's automatically changed from whatever it might have been and you're going to have to wait to find out about the new one. Keep checking your spam mail on the other mail provider account as well, Gmail has a tendancy to get picked up by spam filters.

Was your "caps lock" on when you typed in your password?

I've done this sometimes and then the password isn't accepted. It's a simple suggestion - but sometimes it's the simple stuff that goes wrong. So you might want to make sure your caps lock wasn't accidentally on. Just a thought.

Right then, sorted! I still have no clue what the problem was, but the e-mail (or rather, three e-mails, seeing as I panicked a little too much yesterday :lol: ) came a day late, straight into my trash folder, of course, and the link to reset my Gmail password was inside, which I did, and now I've gotten the account back! Doesn't seem to have been tampered with or anything, and it definitely wasn't me misspelling the password, because I tested the Caps Lock, keyboard and tried retyping it about twenty times, so I am still confused and a little paranoid, and will probably remain eternally suspicious of Google accounts. Be warned!

Right then, sorted! I still have no clue what the problem was, but the e-mail (or rather, three e-mails, seeing as I panicked a little too much yesterday :lol: ) came a day late, straight into my trash folder, of course, and the link to reset my Gmail password was inside, which I did, and now I've gotten the account back! Doesn't seem to have been tampered with or anything, and it definitely wasn't me misspelling the password, because I tested the Caps Lock, keyboard and tried retyping it about twenty times, so I am still confused and a little paranoid, and will probably remain eternally suspicious of Google accounts. Be warned!

Figured it might end up in the Trash/Spam folder if you gave it some time. Glad you got it sorted. ;)