Laptop suggestions

Assassin's Creed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jack_the_ripper
Just, please, for the love of God, don't get an Acer...

I think most of us can agree with that, although the EEEpc is a funny little thing.

If you want a very overpriced laptop then I fully surest the mac route.

if not, the dell XPS M1530 is very nice :heart:review

dell-m1530.jpg

criticising macs for being overpriced yet you suggest an XPS

pot kettle?

BWAHAHAHAHHA :lol: !!!!!

Clearly someone knows absolutely nothing about this topic.

Kinda off topic, but it's a personal annoyance of mine when people don't realize mac's ARE PC's. They are personal computers v____v.

I think everyone knows that, what would you suggest? It's a bit too much bother to say "Windows operating system enabled PC" everytime.

Windows, MS PC, etc.

If you want a very overpriced laptop then I fully surest the mac route.

if not, the dell XPS M1530 is very nice :heart:review

dell-m1530.jpg

criticising macs for being overpriced yet you suggest an XPS

pot kettle?

BWAHAHAHAHHA :lol: !!!!!

Clearly someone knows absolutely nothing about this topic.

The XPS is better value than a Macbook for its price bracket, which is probably what JDRM was referring to.

However, saying that - I have used many Macs and they are truely beatiful pieces of kit - and OS X Leopard I find is generally a better piece of software than Windows Vista. Safari 3 now outperforms IE7 on modern Macs (when Safari 2 was out, I couldn't stand its speed).

Guest Jack_the_ripper
Just, please, for the love of God, don't get an Acer...

I think most of us can agree with that, although the EEEpc is a funny little thing.

The EEEpc is made by Asus, not Acer.

touche sir. Sorry, I haven't taken enough of a look at it, and saw the A, figured it was the same.

Macs are overpriced and overhyped. Unless you're doing serious audiorecording, just get a non apple PC.

They are cheaper than they have ever been. And if you compare comparable systems from Sony or Toshiba you will find Mac's and especially OSX a bargain. Having said that, when it comes to Apple portables I suggest anyone with even a shred of common sense purchase the Applecare Protection warranty, as Mac have few components that can be serviced. Any small problems can be a huge expense since Apple's tend to integrate all their components together. So something as stupid as a broken RAM clip would require replacement of the entire logic board. As for your comment about them being overhyped. I do not think they are. Have you actually ever used a Mac? For all intensive purposes Mac's are far easier, friendlier and faster to use than PC.

Back on topic: I suggest getting a high end Macbook or a low-end Macbook Pro and buying an external sound card.

Macs are overpriced and overhyped. Unless you're doing serious audiorecording, just get a non apple PC.

They are cheaper than they have ever been. And if you compare comparable systems from Sony or Toshiba you will find Mac's and especially OSX a bargain. Having said that, when it comes to Apple portables I suggest anyone with even a shred of common sense purchase the Applecare Protection warranty, as Mac have few components that can be serviced. Any small problems can be a huge expense since Apple's tend to integrate all their components together. So something as stupid as a broken RAM clip would require replacement of the entire logic board. As for your comment about them being overhyped. I do not think they are. Have you actually ever used a Mac? For all intensive purposes Mac's are far easier, friendlier and faster to use than PC.

Back on topic: I suggest getting a high end Macbook or a low-end Macbook Pro and buying an external sound card.

But still overpriced. And over hyped.

And yes I have used them. Their product is still essentially the same exact hardware. Easier, friendlier, and faster is subjective. My fedora core computer will wipe the floor in a speed competition of every mac I've seen.

If you really want to get the most out of your computer, as in a technical profession where accessing down to the lowest levels is important, I'd much rather use a unix or linux PC. Apple loves to restrict what you can do at times

Edited by kevin

Guest Jack_the_ripper
macbook. Worth the extra bucks.

Yea. If you like doing half the stuff you could do on a PC for "the extra bucks".

well it depends what you want to do. For my field of work, a mac is perfect. For what he wants to do, a mac is perfect.

Again, I can install parallels, and xp, and have both windows xp and macosx running at the same time.

Yea. If you like doing half the stuff you could do on a PC for "the extra bucks".

well it depends what you want to do. For my field of work, a mac is perfect. For what he wants to do, a mac is perfect.

Again, I can install parallels, and xp, and have both windows xp and macosx running at the same time.

The thing is, he probably isn't doing it for "work". If he is, by all means go by an Apple. Otherwise I'd just by any non apple notebook.

But still overpriced. And over hyped.

And yes I have used them. Their product is still essentially the same exact hardware. Easier, friendlier, and faster is subjective. My fedora core computer will wipe the floor in a speed competition of every mac I've seen.

If you really want to get the most out of your computer, as in a technical profession where accessing down to the lowest levels is important, I'd much rather use a unix or linux PC. Apple loves to restrict what you can do at times

You are comparing "Apples" to Oranges and now throwing Linux into the mix. This is hardly a fair comparison since I am justifying my conclusions based on straight PC running Windows to a Mac running OSX. The bottom line is this: using OSX is easier and less intimidating to the typical consumer than using a PC running Vista. My old 1.33 12" Powerbook runs general tasks faster than my fathers quad core Gateway with 8gb of ram and 512 megs of vram. My Macbook Pro is even faster. Of course I am only talking about general tasks since the Vista os is so bloated. It is far easier to fuck up the settings on a windows computer than one running osx, which is also something very important to think about. Because with windows there is so much down time trying to figure out what went wrong.

Edited by smokingarthur

The fact is, item by item, Apple charges more for their piece of hardware than a different company. I'm by no means arguing the software point, I think the do a great job with their software. But from a hardware point they are overcharging you. I'd rather build a "hackontosh" ;)

My old 1.33 12" Powerbook runs general tasks faster than my fathers quad core Gateway with 8gb of ram and 512 megs of vram.

Lol. :rolleyes:

Thats probably not too far from the truth actually. In a realistic sense, the Core 2 Quad would kick the PB into oblivion - but taking into account all the shit manufacturers put on their PC nowadays, I believe it. Norton or Mcafee for a start, then some miracle backup program that pops up every 10 minutes saying it hasn't backed up, 1000 toolbars in IE, bullshitty utility services which do fuck all and ridiculous programs which tell you that wireless connections are available (which Windows tells you anyway, but for some reason its still bundled).

Guest Jack_the_ripper

it's been proven that macs know how to use it's resources more effectively than a windows based pc (whether it's vista or xp.)

Please elaborate on that.

For the "extra bucks" you pay to "look cool" you can buy a nice soundblaster card and still have a couple hundred dollars in your wallet.

My old 1.33 12" Powerbook runs general tasks faster than my fathers quad core Gateway with 8gb of ram and 512 megs of vram.

Thats probably not too far from the truth actually. In a realistic sense, the Core 2 Quad would kick the PB into oblivion - but taking into account all the shit manufacturers put on their PC nowadays, I believe it. Norton or Mcafee for a start, then some miracle backup program that pops up every 10 minutes saying it hasn't backed up, 1000 toolbars in IE, bullshitty utility services which do fuck all and ridiculous programs which tell you that wireless connections are available (which Windows tells you anyway, but for some reason its still bundled).

Look, I loathe pre-installed software just as much as the next person, but regardless of all that - a quad core CPU and 8gig of ram is going to kick the shit out of any outdated 1.3ghz (most likely single core) laptop. Anyone who's denying that is exaggerating majorly.

I had a friend bring his mac around the other night to do an assignment with me. It was slow, glitching like crazy and froze 3 times. I'm tired of people telling me that nothing goes wrong with Macs and that they're super fast - they're not flawless pieces of equipment, and i've had both positive and negative experiences with them. Vista is nowhere near as bad as it was, and coupled with the right hardware, it's ok. Sure, I prefer XP for the time being because it's so stable, but Vista will get there with time. It's become really fashionable to hate on Microsoft now and it irritates me... I don't understand why Mac users feel this uncontrollable urge to stick their computers in everyone's faces. Great, i'm glad you like your product. I'll spend my money on something else.

(Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general rant.)

And if you compare comparable systems from Sony or Toshiba you will find Mac's and especially OSX a bargain.

This is completely false, particularly with Toshiba who are a reasonably priced brand. You seem to forget that Windows based laptops/pcs are cheaper than they've ever been as well.

Look, I loathe pre-installed software just as much as the next person, but regardless of all that - a quad core CPU and 8gig of ram is going to kick the shit out of any outdated 1.3ghz (most likely single core) laptop. Anyone who's denying that is exaggerating majorly.

I had a friend bring his mac around the other night to do an assignment with me. It was slow, glitching like crazy and froze 3 times. I'm tired of people telling me that nothing goes wrong with Macs and that they're super fast - they're not flawless pieces of equipment, and i've had both positive and negative experiences with them. Vista is nowhere near as bad as it was, and coupled with the right hardware, it's ok. Sure, I prefer XP for the time being because it's so stable, but Vista will get there with time. It's become really fashionable to hate on Microsoft now and it irritates me... I don't understand why Mac users feel this uncontrollable urge to stick their computers in everyone's faces. Great, i'm glad you like your product. I'll spend my money on something else.

(Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general rant.)

And if you compare comparable systems from Sony or Toshiba you will find Mac's and especially OSX a bargain.

This is completely false, particularly with Toshiba who are a reasonably priced brand. You seem to forget that Windows based laptops/pcs are cheaper than they've ever been as well.

No you are wrong. By the time the quad core PC is on the internet, I could have accomplished something with that old outdated G4. Vista is a snail inside of a turtle. I can go so far as to say my old Titanium Powerbook 667 was faster completing general tasks than the quad core PC as well and I am not exaggerating one bit. Not too mention the frustration level I have while using Vista vs OSX. I am far from being a mac fanboy. Actually I have many issues with Apple as a whole. As for the hardware, I never had a Mac that did not need to be repaired multiple times. I had a old Dell p3 that lasted six years until I decided to destroy it. Never had one hardware issue in all that time.

it's been proven that macs know how to use it's resources more effectively than a windows based pc (whether it's vista or xp.)

That is not the hardware, it's the software. The point is apple ridiculously overcharges their hardware.

I also find the "quad core" 8 gb ram comment hard to believe. In fact I don't believe it. Either something is set up incredibly stupidly or your lying. By definition, the non apple PC is faster.

Edited by kevin