Billy Joel vs Elton John

DCGNR

If you could choose one of these two's entire collection to take with you on a desert island for the rest of your life, which would you choose?

I'm going Billy Joel because if you add up the amount of songs that I really like from either guy, I think I just like more Joel tunes

Elton's got some that I really love, but not enough to beat out Billy J

I haven't heard an Elton song that I really liked a lot, other than maybe GYBR. There's maybe two or three others that I kind of dig. The ones that most people point to (Rocket Man, Candle in the Wind, Saturday Night, Benny and the Jets, Tiny Dancer, Honky Cat, I could go on) I just don't like at all.

Billy Joel is one of my favourite artists. So it's Joel by miles.

Edited by KBear

I haven't heard an Elton song that I really liked a lot, other than maybe GYBR. There's maybe two or three others that I kind of dig. The ones that most people point to (Rocket Man, Candle in the Wind, Saturday Night, Benny and the Jets, Tiny Dancer, Honky Cat, I could go on) I just don't like at all.

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me is one of the greatest songs ever made.

Unfortunately Elton allowed it to be whored out on Idol.

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me is one of the greatest songs ever made.

Not sure I'd go that far, but yeah, I'm a fan of that song. For some reason I don't like the chorus as much as the rest of the song. Still, it's a good song. I hate silly songs like Honky Cat and Crocodile Rock, and maybe I'm wrong (I haven't listened to every EJ album) but it feels like he has a lot of them.

Billy Joel is seriously underrated here. Elton's got a few good songs, Billy's got a lot.

How does one not dig this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpuLnMUpMdU

This song blows my mind, the lyrics are powerful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Dl9Q4jCPg&feature=user

With Billy's earlier work I feel like I'm in the bar listening to him play his tunes to a bunch of us drinking our sorrows away. His songs just bring out that authenticty.

Edited by KBear

Billy Joel, by far. Elton John is an artist whose hits are played so much that they get annoying. I'm so tired of hearing Rocket Man or Saturday Night. I just find him so weak as an artist sometimes. Almost overrated.

Besides, Elton vs. Billy aside, Billy Joel still has one of the best albums of all-time: The Stranger. One of the finest albums ever crafted by a human being.

Los Angelenos ftw.

Lesser known songs are among the best Elton material (for me anyway)...songs like High Flying Bird and Ticking are just excellent.

I could be stranded forever with Elton's catalogue.

Billy Joel??...meh

Guest Apollo

What a silly question.

Billy Joel isn't in the same league as Elton John.

It's like comparing Morris Day to Stevie Wonder.

It's like comparing the Backstreet Boys to Led Zepplin.

It's like comparing Britney Fox to Guns n Roses.

Billy Joel is a less talented 2nd rate version of Elton John. At best.

What a silly question.

Billy Joel isn't in the same league as Elton John.

It's like comparing Morris Day to Stevie Wonder.

It's like comparing the Backstreet Boys to Led Zepplin.

It's like comparing Britney Fox to Guns n Roses.

Billy Joel is a less talented 2nd rate version of Elton John. At best.

Take it easy killer

You may think Elton is better , and may be right, but your examples that follow make you look like a fool

You do know that Elton John does not even write his own lyrics,right?

Plus, Billy never wore dresses and purple super-hero capes on stage

Anyways, I think you greatly under-estimate Billy Joel's talent

Billy Joel proved he could outlast his 70s appeal and produced great albums in the 80s and even 90s. Not to mention his classical compositions, which shit all over Elton John.

Elton was great in the 70s, and then fizzed out, and only became bigger again because of the lamest soundtrack songs that had to tickle heart strings.

Besides, there's a reason that Billy Joel's greatest hits are still in the Top 10 best-selling albums of all-time.