Classical music

bax

I've never gotten into classical much-I'm somewhat familiar with Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc. although I could never identify their pieces by name. I've heard a lot in movies and such that I really dig and I'm trying to expand my horizons a bit. Any suggestions of lesser known composers or standout pieces by popular composers would be welcome.

Wagner is one of my favorites, quite ironically.

Also Shostakovich has some nice spooky stuff, and Carl Orff of course with his cool Carmina Burana.

Bach is a genius, though. Huge respect. His compositions are so elaborate, with a lot of layers and different melodies going on.

• 4 years later...

Do you just mean classical era or just, like, symphonic/orchestral/concert band music?

If the latter, this is my favorite piece by far. It's relatively new (1991), though. It's inspired by Sir Ernest Shackleton's Antarctic expedition where his ship sank, and he and his crew of 27 men were stranded for 15 months -- and they survived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbGeEpUmNSI

I always thought "Fantasia" and "Fantasia 2000" was a good intro to classical music.

It all depends on what you like, sometimes when it's minimal it's good. Sometimes a full on orchestra in a symphony hall can be as good as any metal band, minus the sweaty bodies and smashing into each other. I think with the history of prog rock and metal having classical elements in them, you can't help but be drawn to it. Trans Siberian Orchestra keeps making money off of the Xmas music, but they have their concept albums around the classics - people love the crossover of both worlds. A lot of people think of it as "Bugs Bunny music" because that's how a lot of people were first exposed to it.

If there's an explanation or story behind the song, it helps in your listening experience.Where's the composer trying to take the listener? It's more of a challenge when lyrics are out of the equation and you're building your own scenery to it. It's something that demands your complete attention, and wasn't intended to be background music. And when you go to a symphony hall, it's all there, whether it's loud or soft. When you go to a park, there's distractions. When you watch it as background music in a movie, there's distractions, or it's just mellow stuff you fall asleep to (don't put on classical music on a road trip at 3AM).

To me, hearing it in a hall is always going to be the best way to listen to it. Not in a park with a bunch of old people on creaky folding chairs, unless it's in a decent bandshell and you have a good spot. To narrow down centuries worth of music into a mix is a pretty tall order though.

I remember reading in "Frank Zappa's Real Book" his opinion on modern composers vs the dead ones, and how hard it was for him to get an orchestra to do what he wanted. Sounded like it was far more harder than any band he worked with.

Guest Len B'stard

What i never got about classical music is like, which recordings are definitive? Like say for instance you got Beethoven or whoever, the fuckin' CDs out there ain't all of like, the same orchestras doing it surely? So which one counts as like, the original if you like, d'ya know what i mean, am i making sense? Like, y'know, you got Dark Side of the Moon and thats Dark Side of the Moon and anything else is people covering it...but with Classical i guess like...i dunno see, thats why it don't make sense to me, like you have a particular piece of music, which is considered like, the proper mccoy edition of it...or don't it work like that?

I love Beethoven, especially the 5th, think most rockfans will like his music the most.

Furthermore Mahler, Grieg and Shostakovich and ofcourse Mozart made great things.

Tchajkovski, Stravinski and Rachmaninov are maybe more 'easy' to begin with.

Although Bach a genius, it's not for me.

There is so much I like, grew up with it. My father even worked for an organisator of classical concerts, had to listen.

When young hated it, cause it was pushed on me. But now I actually love it, think currently I listen more to classical music, than any other.

Wagner is one of my favorites, quite ironically.

It is actually, you are jewish right?

But he is very good, but never have been really into opera, like that. Except for the famous and more easy ones like the ones Bizet and/or Puccini have written.

My father has went a couple of times in his lifetime to the Wagner festspiele, he is constantly on the waitinglist.

What i never got about classical music is like, which recordings are definitive? Like say for instance you got Beethoven or whoever, the fuckin' CDs out there ain't all of like, the same orchestras doing it surely? So which one counts as like, the original if you like, d'ya know what i mean, am i making sense? Like, y'know, you got Dark Side of the Moon and thats Dark Side of the Moon and anything else is people covering it...but with Classical i guess like...i dunno see, thats why it don't make sense to me, like you have a particular piece of music, which is considered like, the proper mccoy edition of it...or don't it work like that?

You got brilliant conducters and conductors and most conductors are also specialized in certain composers. And some conductors are under contract to recordlabels. So better recordings. Same for ochestra's, pianists and such...... Horowitz is brilliant, but most recordings are old, better go for Lang Lang. It's difficult indeed. I am lucky, since my father can even recognize which ochestra is playing when listening to the radio, I just have to ask him. Any questions, let me know!

Edited by MBRose

wagner is my favorite i really like the dark classical stuff beethovens 5th is amazing

gustav mahler symphony number 9 is great as well

i think alot of these composers would have been metalheads if born in the right time :headbang:

wagner is my favorite i really like the dark classical stuff beethovens 5th is amazing

gustav mahler symphony number 9 is great as well

i think alot of these composers would have been metalheads if born in the right time :headbang:

Especially the ones you mentioned, think so to.

That's audiophile stuff, comes down to where it was recorded, what it was recorded on, when, the rep of the orchestra. Most record labels had classical music divisions, so the ones that had money (EMI, RCA) usually sounded better than the bargain bin stuff.

That's audiophile stuff, comes down to where it was recorded, what it was recorded on, when, the rep of the orchestra. Most record labels had classical music divisions, so the ones that had money (EMI, RCA) usually sounded better than the bargain bin stuff.

And strange thing, some orchestra's have no record deal with a major label, but the main conductor has. So with him better recordings. But with another conductor, not with a major record label, inferior quality.

Guest Len B'stard

And strange thing, some orchestra's have no record deal with a major label, but the main conductor has. So with him better recordings. But with another conductor, not with a major record label, inferior quality.

So basically just go for the major label released ones? Got'cha!