Raising/lowering the action

Depends on your style of playing and what you want to do.

Lowering the action will allow for easier and faster playing, but if you're tapping you would want it raised otherwise the strings will be hitting other frets. You really have to hit your own sweet spot.

Lowering/raising action is one thing, but remember you cannot adjust the height at the nut unless you shave it down or make a new one.

Edited by Max™

Lowering the action will allow for easier and faster playing, but if you're tapping you would want it raised otherwise the strings will be hitting other frets. You really have to hit your own sweet spot.

Lowering/raising action is one thing, but remember you cannot adjust the height at the nut unless you shave it down or make a new one.

So what would be a good miidle ground for shred? Where tapping and fast playing collide?

Or if you don't suck at tapping, you won't hit other frets. My action has been as low as possible before and I never had a problem. I personally like my action about medium, with really tall frets. That way you can really dig under the string and bend the fuck outta it if you need. Gibson uses semi tall frets, you can get pretty low and it should feel pretty comfortable.