Dean Martin & Other Classic Crooners

Vincent Vega

Absolutely!!

Actually bought tickets to one of those Rat Pack tours...it was supposed to be Dean,Sammy and Frank.

Dean died...so it became Frank,Sammy and Liza Minelli.

Sammy got sick with cancer....so it became Frank and Liza.

Sinatra was amazing man...he was ultra cool,(and sounded fucking excellent!).

Liza...actually,was no slouch either...she held her own,but when Sinatra came out...maaaaaaan,that's all she wrote. B)

Rat Pack was cool.

Did get to see Sinatra about 12 years ago and was phenominal. When he would speak between songs, his voice would noiticeably shake and you could really hear his age and whatever ailments he had. But once he cracked into a song, was still smooth as silk....

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Random fact:

-Frank Sinatra died on May 14th, 1998

-Sammy Davis, Jr. died on May 16th, 1990

-Dean Martin died on Christmas Day, 1995

-Peter Lawford died Christmas Eve, 1984

Odd.

Hmmm...that alters the facts around the Rat Pack show I saw unravelling.

I believe it was 1989 (I'd have to check my stubs).

I know Dean dropped out first...he must have been really sick,or maybe it was around the time his son died?? (not sure).

Sammy definitely dropped out second because of cancer (which would tie in with the 89 gig...if he died in '90).

Frank died on May 14th...my birthday...didn't know that.

Random fact:

-Frank Sinatra died on May 14th, 1998

-Sammy Davis, Jr. died on May 16th, 1990

-Dean Martin died on Christmas Day, 1995

-Peter Lawford died Christmas Eve, 1984

Odd.

Hmmm...that alters the facts around the Rat Pack show I saw unravelling.

I believe it was 1989 (I'd have to check my stubs).

I know Dean dropped out first...he must have been really sick,or maybe it was around the time his son died?? (not sure).

Sammy definitely dropped out second because of cancer (which would tie in with the 89 gig...if he died in '90).

Frank died on May 14th...my birthday...didn't know that.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

''Martin's world began to crumble on March 21, 1987, when his son Dean Paul was killed when his jet fighter crashed while flying with the Air National Guard. A much-touted tour with Davis and Sinatra in 1988 sputtered, with Martin's heart just not in it. On one occasion, he infuriated Sinatra when he turned to him and muttered "Frank, what the hell are we doing up here?" Martin, who always responded best to a club audience, felt lost in the huge stadiums they were performing in (at Sinatra's insistence), and he was not the least bit interested in drinking until dawn after their performances. His final Vegas shows were at the Bally's Hotel in 1989. It was there he had his famous final reunion with Jerry Lewis on his 72nd birthday. His last television appearance was in 1990 on the Sammy Davis Jr 60th Anniversary Celebration special (also Sammy's last TV appearance.) By 1991, Martin had unofficially retired from performing.

In addition to never completely recovering from losing his son, Martin was suffering from emphysema. In September 1993, he was diagnosed with lung cancer. He kept his private life to himself, emerging briefly for a public celebration of his 77th birthday with friends and family.

He had been told he needed surgery on his kidneys and liver to prolong his life, but he refused. It was widely reported, though never confirmed, that Martin had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 1991.''

''In 1987 Sinatra, Davis, and Martin embarked on a World Tour, entitled 'Together Again'. At press conferences Sinatra rejected the use of the term 'Rat Pack'. The tour was fraught with difficulties. Martin's son had died in a plane crash earlier that year, and he left the tour after only three shows and was replaced by Liza Minnelli.''

dont like em...dunno why. as a personality i quite like Deano and i like him in the movies too, something for Texas and The Sons of Katie Elder and a good few others. theres just something so middle of the road about it, doesnt strike me as very passionate y'know, that loosened necktie, 5 o clock shadow, brandy handy "those fingers thru mah haaiir" thing :lol: laboring under a stereotype i understand but...i dunno, they just dont do it for me. doesnt move me. in any sense.

Frankie, you need to take a nice girl out one night, and when you get home, give In the Wee Small Hours a spin, and sit back and listen.

man, i like music with a spark up its ass, i like music that...shoves you or possesses you or drains you or...it just has to...pull in some direction and that Rat Pack shit never seemed to do that for me. i dunno, maybe you're right, maybe i should give it a spin...problem is i dont know any nice girls :lol: actually, thats a lie as well as a whole other conversation :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite

I get what you're saying there, but I still advice you to check it out. You haven't gone wrong with any of my recommendations yet, have you? :lol::)

good point, the fucking Who man, i could kiss you over that shit...y'know, slap on a wig, shove a few pillows under your shirt, get me drunk and it's a sure thing :rofl-lol:

seriously though, The Who, i cant thank you enough, they've accounted for like 90% of my listening ever since...Disraeli Gears too actually, even though i've only heard it through the once it was instantly listenable. just The Who barged it off the playlist :lol: in fact you could even be held responsible for the blues trough im going through cuz its sorta like fallout from all the early Who albums i've been listening too (although in all fairness i've loved the blues before that) but like...Elmore James etc, thats all from like...hearing The Who, the maximum RnB angle. i dont think i've ever heard a band quite like The Who..i cant describe what a revelation they were/are. never listened to anything past the Moon years though...can't bring myself to do it.

Edited by ffrankwhite

I get what you're saying there, but I still advice you to check it out. You haven't gone wrong with any of my recommendations yet, have you? :lol::)

good point, the fucking Who man, i could kiss you over that shit...y'know, slap on a wig, shove a few pillows under your shirt, get me drunk and it's a sure thing :rofl-lol:

seriously though, The Who, i cant thank you enough, they've accounted for like 90% of my listening ever since...Disraeli Gears too actually, even though i've only heard it through the once it was instantly listenable. just The Who barged it off the playlist :lol: in fact you could even be held responsible for the blues trough im going through cuz its sorta like fallout from all the early Who albums i've been listening too (although in all fairness i've loved the blues before that) but like...Elmore James etc, thats all from like...hearing The Who, the maximum RnB angle. i dont think i've ever heard a band quite like The Who..i cant describe what a revelation they were/are. never listened to anything past the Moon years though...can't bring myself to do it.

Haha :lol: 90% you say? :lol: Well, I'm glad I turned you onto them. ;)

Before Christmas last year I picked up a cd of Dean Martin singing Christmas songs.

It's called Christmas With Dino.

It has all the old standards he recorded,but also has some alternate versions of songs that have never been on cd before apparantly.

And it's all remastered...it sounds fucking crisp!

It has that, Dean got drunk at a Christmas party and started singing vibe...it's really cool.

It made the rounds of a few Christmas parties I went to and it was met with great enthusiasm...getting played more than once before the sun came up.

Anyone who likes the Crooner,Rat Pack vibe and digs their spin on Xmas tunes should seek out Christmas Cocktails Volumes One through 3.There's some fucking wicked artists on tracks on these sets.Lou Rawls' version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas...maaaaaaaan,it's smooth as silk.

Christmas Cocktails comes from a company called Ultra Lounge...they put out collections of songs from various artists from the Crooner/Big/Band/Rat Pack vibe.

I'm not just talking about Christmas songs here either.The have volumes and volumes of cd's with Lounge tunes.

The cool thing is they dig deeper than the standards,they have really cool obscure renditions of songs on tap...some of it is insanely cool.

ffrank...don't write it off completely...there's some cool shit to tap into in this genre.

It'll grab you in time...one day.