Is Heavy Metal 'Nerd' Music?

Guest Yanni_16

Guest Yanni_16

Would you consider heavy metal to be music that only appeals to misfit, nerd types that are usually social outcasts? When I say heavy metal I'm not talking Gn'R or Zeppelin, I'm talking the heavy, heavy shit, like Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Slipknot, Maiden, etc.

This may just be my opinion, but a lot of "metal heads" seem to be guys who are socially awkward, overweight, spotty, that sort of thing. I don't know if it was like this back in the 80s as well, nowadays this is definately the case, and it makes sense, considering the lyrics. Gn'R and Motley Crue wrote songs about drugs, violence, and getting laid. Heavy metal bands' lyrics are typically saturated with tales of sorcerers, dragons, Gods, demons and shit.

Don't get me wrong... I've seen fucking kids who were algebra wizzes and wore suspenders that were into rap, or dance music. It just seems metal is the genre that typically attracts these types.

Discuss.

Well it seems that Metal attracts guitar nerds. I see guitar nerds as people who just play everything perfectly, dedicate certain lengths of time into learning different techniques and practise to the point where they couldn't possibly mess it up. While yes, you're good at guitar, you're still a fucking nerd to have taken the time to do that. Since most Metal songs have all the rediculously fast and technically impressive solos you can think of that's probably why.

Sometimes it's considered unfashionable to like a bit of metal in the eyes of the some...

...but what would they know?...

Many thousands of people whack off to the cover of their Leona Lewis CD before they turn in each night.

It's their perogative, and it isn't wrong.

Good music, is good music.

There is no accounting for taste.

Different people hear different things.

Every genre has good and bad.

The question is, thusly, this :

Why do you give a fuck what anyone else thinks...

This may just be my opinion, but a lot of "metal heads" seem to be guys who are socially awkward, overweight, spotty, that sort of thing. I don't know if it was like this back in the 80s as well, nowadays this is definately the case, and it makes sense, considering the lyrics. Gn'R and Motley Crue wrote songs about drugs, violence, and getting laid. Heavy metal bands' lyrics are typically saturated with tales of sorcerers, dragons, Gods, demons and shit.

I'm far from a social misfit. I love this music because I love and play the guitar and metal is one of the many musical genres that uses the fucking thing properly!!

Edited by murray_TH

Who cares? Why would it matter really? But anyway, I think the reason why metal etc might be appealing to "nerds" (however you define that :P ) is probably because they feel like they don't belong/fit in/are not one of the "cool" kids/etc and therefore go looking for something else to define them... Thus they find a sub-culture, in this case heavy metal, and they "belong" somewhere. It's the same reason emo attracts lots of teenage girls. Naturally this isn't anything universal for all metal fans but I'd guess that at least it fits some parts of the metal fangroup (or any other subculture)...

i've always found it funny that metal fans can sort of...look down on say Emo or whatever and think of it as like...dark depressing gloomy poseur shit when really, if thats the sort of mentality you're coming from, you couldn't just as easily label metalheads that way too (not necessarily the depressing end but the rest definitely). i had a fan of sort of...y'know, a hardcore metalhead of whatever laugh at me for liking Guns n Roses, apparently cuz they are glam poseurs. quite funny i thought.

i've never gotten into metal myself, i always found it (i.e. the few bands i've been exposed to) as a little trite and...sort of not saying much.

Edited by ffrankwhite

I don't think anybody is going to state that a genre of music is unique to one stereotype of people.

But I see truth in that some people that might be deemed "nerds" by society are attracted towards metal as an aggressive output for the shortcomings in their lives as well as the lyrical content often providing a form of escapism.

Guest Yanni_16

Good responses people.

I can't believe we're talking about "nerd music" in a GNR forum...

I don't get what you mean by this. Are you implying most Gn'R fans fall into this category as well?

I'm the only one from my closest circle of friends who listens to anything remotely heavy, or plays an instrument. All but one could probably live without music (the one being a crazy Oasis fan), they're just more into like cars, etc....shit I'm not into, but we have enough to relate on other things (football for example). So basically I have friends........I swear......fuck you!!! :P

Monty

To me...bands in Ritchie Cunningham sweaters exude more of a nerd vibe.

I have found over the years though,that metalheads can be some of the most close minded about other kinds of music.I'm not saying all metalheads,but in general I've found in the metal community there's a lower tolerance for other genres.

Metal fans can be funny as hell though.Anybody seen Heavy Metal Parking Lot?

"Zebra-man" is the token 80's metal fan! :lol: