Hanoi Rocks

Teroz

Mmmm yep,

I'm from Finland and I have never really been a fan of Hanoi Rocks, been a bigger fan of Mikes solo work actually. Anyway lately I've been listening to Hanoi and reading about their history.

To me it seems that Hanoi has had a huge influence on GnR and especially Axl. You can also find ton of interviews that back this up, but I never really stop to think about it. But yeah I can see it now. I don't know why but it hit me when I watched this really really emotional version of "A Million Miles Away"... The song was a tribute to Razzle (their drummer) who died just 3 week prior to this gig... Terry Chimes (Clash) came in and filled in on drums. It's just a really great version, see for youself:

Hanoi Rocks: A Million Miles Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NysgHUZtoXA...feature=related

(Nasty Suicide kinda looks like Izzy, eh?)

Sam Yaffa (currently in New York Dolls) left after this gig and the whole band called it quits after a few monts after. They reformed back in 2002 with just Mike Monroe (vocals) and Andy McCoy (guitar). Nasty Suicide declined (he was doing his PhD) and Sam Yaffa wasn't even asked. They've done a lot of stuff since then, it's...well... average to put it nicely. But they've managed to pull of one great song (IMO):

Hanoi Rocks: A Day Late, A Dollar Short

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRAWl94g_4...feature=related

Good band, it's a shame what happened - they've really could have been big.

Edited by Teroz

I think Hanoi Rocks had a huge influence on GN'R in their infancy. When the whole sleaze rock thing was in. You can see it all over the band in 1986-87.

But in the long-term, no. By 1988 they seemed to be finding their own way. Drawing influences from more traditional sources, such as Aerosmith, the Stones, Queen, etc.

To this day most casual people have no clue who Hanoi Rocks is. I remember my cousin telling me about them, when he found out I dug GN'R. "hey check at Hanoi Rocks"... ironically he didn't have a massive background knowing Hanoi Rocks, and didn't even know Mike's contributions with GN'R, and yet still made that comparison.

Hanoi Rocks deserved to be much bigger than they were. I believe the diehard Appetite fans, would've stayed with Hanoi in some ways, because they kept that whole punk attitude. Something GN'R dropped by the Illusion days.

you can't deny the greatness of this:

But in the long-term, no. By 1988 they seemed to be finding their own way. Drawing influences from more traditional sources, such as Aerosmith, the Stones, Queen, etc.

i agree that those influences you mention did become a bigger part, but i'd have to disagree if you're saying they totally abandoned the things they learned from Hanoi. it was still there. maybe there were alot of things layered on top, but still, it's there.

Btw. I'm sure everyone who cares knows, but you can briefly spot Nasy Suicide in the Paradise City music video.

Other nice detail is that Hanoi Rocks last official bass-player (before the break-up) was Timo Kaltio. He co-wrote the song Right Next Door To Hell with Izzy and Axl. On the credits he is credited as Caltio(?). He managed to buy a flat in London with the royalties.

Edited by Teroz