Alice in Chains in Studio

stevGNR666

Alice In Chains, having not released a full length studio album of original material since 1995's self titled album, are working hard in the studio to have the record done by the end of 2008. Although the band did record a few songs that were released on their box set Music Bank in 1999, "Alice In Chains" was the final album with original vocalist Layne Staley, who died of a drug overdose in 2002. The band has since reunited with new vocalist, William DuVall who toured with Alice In Chains on their reunion tour.

We caught up with Jerry Cantrell to get his thoughts on choosing DuVall to fill the immensely huge shoes of Layne Staley and where they are at with completing the new album.

Jerry Cantrell On Upcoming Alice In Chains Album

"We just kind of met and got along you know and ended up playing together on my solo tour and when we started thinking about doing some playing I suggested him coming in and jamming with us and the guys had a good time with him. That was like three years ago and we're still hanging out and having a good time and making some music. We're in the middle. Yeah, we're in the middle."

Alice In Chains have sold more than 14 million albums in the United States, released two number-one albums and 19 top 40 singles, and have received six Grammy nominations. As of press time the band doesn't have any tour dates for 2008 as they continue to work hard putting the finishing touches on the new material.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/video_...n_13_years.html

I think that Cantrell was such a big part of what they did anyway, that this record will definitely resemble the Alice I love

It will be strange as shit not hearing Staley's vocals, but I think this is something I"m interested in hearing

it really sounds a lot like the blind melon reunion. jerry and co. are bored and just want to play. we're probably not going to get anything that's different sound-wise, just something to appease the fans and keep jerry and co. happy.

We cant see willian Duval as someone that will try to replace Layne , he could never do that, because Layne was unique (in my opinion) ....and i hope he doesnt try it .

The right thing to do is Duval just keep his own style....not trying to please fans by trying to somehow sound similar to Layne , that would only hurt him in the end .

Thats why i think is so stupid when people say something like i could read above"choosing DuVall to fill the immensely huge shoes of Layne Staley " Really? dont think thats what the rest of the guys of Alice in chains are trying by choosing him ...they just choosed someone that somehow they connected with when they played .

Im gonna wait for this cd ...im curious about it

it really sounds a lot like the blind melon reunion. jerry and co. are bored and just want to play. we're probably not going to get anything that's different sound-wise, just something to appease the fans and keep jerry and co. happy.

AIC is my 2nd fav band after GNR and Im skeptical of a new album. Although I will say that I saw them last year and they were great. The band sounded tight as hell. Duvall did a good job, he sounded a lot like Layne on some songs. That said I cant imagine what the new direction the songs will be in. I have Jerry's solo album Degradation Trip and its good but basically I hear spots when I say "Layne would have sounded great right there" Im not sure Duvall could provide that sort of complement. We all know Jerry wrote most of the songs but his voice has a sort of flat delivery that worked fine with Layne. I guess we'll have to take the wait and see approach. Since we're all GNR fans too Im sure we could get used to the new Alice as well

AIC is my 2nd fav band after GNR and Im skeptical of a new album. Although I will say that I saw them last year and they were great. The band sounded tight as hell. Duvall did a good job, he sounded a lot like Layne on some songs. That said I cant imagine what the new direction the songs will be in. I have Jerry's solo album Degradation Trip and its good but basically I hear spots when I say "Layne would have sounded great right there" Im not sure Duvall could provide that sort of complement. We all know Jerry wrote most of the songs but his voice has a sort of flat delivery that worked fine with Layne. I guess we'll have to take the wait and see approach. Since we're all GNR fans too Im sure we could get used to the new Alice as well

but the difference is that jerry's not going to try and reinvent the sound of alice in chains like axl is.

but the difference is that jerry's not going to try and reinvent the sound of alice in chains like axl is.

Steve, not for nothing, and I'm a huge fan of Cantrell...but I don't even think he's capable of changing his sound. His solo stuff sounds like Alice, he wrote a majority of Alice's stuff