Smashing Pumpkins Announce First Date

stevGNR666

Smashing Pumpkins reveal first date for 20th anniversary tour

Published July 9, 2008 11:07 AM

3 Comments

print

email

By Tjames Madison / LiveDaily Contributor

The Smashing Pumpkins [ tickets ] have announced the first date for an upcoming 20th anniversary tour, along with the promise of more shows soon to be revealed.

As previously reported, the band will launch a tour of "select US cities" over the months of August and November, according to the group's website. The only currently scheduled date is an Aug. 9 in Hammond, IN, which the group notes is "closer to Chicago than the Pumpkins have been since their final show" in the city in 2000.

"We can confirm the band will be playing in New York, Chicago, L.A. as well as additional cities that have yet to be announced," read a statement on the band's website. "These shows will focus on the band's history, legacy, and accomplishments over their career."

Tickets will go on sale for the Indiana show Friday (7/11) at 10 AM CST.

"The August tour is going to be a blast," frontman Billy Corgan said in a statement. "Expect a very loud and raucous show from us ... and we are very, very happy to know we will finally be playing our own shows come November in New York, L.A., and Chicago.

"The 20th Anniversary shows will be magical ...we are already working on lots of surprises"

The Pumpkins' trek last year was the band's first full-scale North American outing since 2000. In addition to original members Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain, the group features touring members Jeff Schroeder (guitar) and Ginger Reyes (bass). Founding members James Iha and D'arcy Wretzky have opted out of the group's reunion plans for now.

Last year the band toured in support of "Zeitgeist," its sixth album and first collection of new material since 2000's "Machina/The Machines of God." The set reached No. 2 on The Billboard 200 and the lead cut, "Tarantula," peaked at No. 2 on the magazine's Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart.

A four-song EP, "American Gothic," was released in January, and Corgan and Chamberlain have been working on new material in a recording studio the pair jointly purchased in Chicago, with another new single due in September, according to the band's website.

In March, the band filed a breach of contract lawsuit against its longtime label, Virgin Records, accusing the company of using the band's name and music in promotional deals that injured its credibility with fans, according to The Associated Press.

Band members contend that Virgin's use of the band in a promotion with Amazon.com and PepsiCo threatens their "artistic integrity." The band's lawsuit argues that Virgin had no contractual right to use the band, its image and/or its music in a campaign to sell other products, and requests that the Pumpkins be compensated with Virgin's profits from the promotion.

http://www.livedaily.com/news/14517.html

Definitely might try and go see this when they come around the nyc area.

I didn't know anyone still cared about them

Learn something new everyday :shocked:

And you say this on a guns n' roses forum...

the pumpkins have put out 4 albums since illusions...one being last year

Don't you dare forsake the Party discography. Ghosts Of Mars owned. This is strict, infallible truth that cannot be denied- even with Billy Corgan prose.

Don't you dare forsake the Party discography. Ghosts Of Mars owned. This is strict, infallible truth that cannot be denied- even with Billy Corgan prose.

oh, stop being a tit.

Zwan! rock1 :confused:

Corgan actually came out with his own book of poetry... :sleeper:

:rofl-lol:

You got a point there, don't ya?

Anyways, give me the site of your Pumpkins forum and I'll start a thread talking about Gnr......Deal? :xmassrudolph:

• 1 month later...

i saw them in Feb in Belfast excellent show.

my b/friend was really into them so i bought tickets for us both. first concert i had been to in years and had a really great night.

they sounded pretty decent /tight considering i heard they can be brutal at times live.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

:rofl-lol:

You got a point there, don't ya?

Anyways, give me the site of your Pumpkins forum and I'll start a thread talking about Gnr......Deal? :xmassrudolph:

Well this is the section of this GNR forum where you are supposed to talk about bands OTHER than GNR. If the smashing pumpkins forum has that section, have at it.