Hurt - NIN or Cash?

DopeSickGirl

Who does it better?   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/38600

Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor has revealed that hearing Johnny Cash's cover of his song 'Hurt' for the first time felt "like someone kissing [his] girlfriend".

Reznor added that the 2002 cover matters much more to him than industry accolades like the Grammys.

Speaking to The Sun's Something For The Weekend, the frontman said: "[Producer Rick Rubin] called me to ask how I'd feel if Johnny Cash covered 'Hurt'. I said I'd be very flattered but was given no indication it would actually be recorded.

"Two weeks went by. Then I got a CD in the post. I listened to it and it was very strange. It was this other person inhabiting my most personal song. Hearing it was like someone kissing your girlfriend. It felt invasive."

Reznor also hailed Cash's cover as a great honour, saying: "Having Johnny Cash, one of the greatest singer-songwriters of all time, want to cover your song, that's something that matters to me. It's not so much what other people think but the honour that this guy felt it was worthy of interpreting.

"He said afterwards it was a song that sounds like one he would have written in the 60s and that's wonderful."

Edited by Given_To_Fly

NIN's cover doesn't live up to the original, so I vote Cash

<_<

Cash's version is brilliant.

The original is better.

When Cash wrote Hurt I heard trent listened to it and loved it. I especially remember him saying how cash really expressed his emotions in "hurt's" lyrics. Trent picked a good song to cover, Cash is a genius

you got trolled, didn't you biotch

<_<

The original is better.

When Cash wrote Hurt I heard trent listened to it and loved it. I especially remember him saying how cash really expressed his emotions in "hurt's" lyrics. Trent picked a good song to cover, Cash is a genius

:rolleyes:

I got fucking trolled bad!!!

<_<

The original is better.

:question:

Edited by RJ88

I was really surprised Trent's version is ahead. It's his song, but Cash is SO much more powerful in his version. The emotion he conveys, certainly related to the point he knew that his life was in, comes out in such a brilliant way.

And there's a reason Cash's version was became mainstream - it was better.

I was really surprised Trent's version is ahead. It's his song, but Cash is SO much more powerful in his version. The emotion he conveys, certainly related to the point he knew that his life was in, comes out in such a brilliant way.

Bullshit. Just cause he was a fragile old man doesn't mean he was better. There was very little emotion in Cash's version.

Bullshit. Just cause he was a fragile old man doesn't mean he was better. There was very little emotion in Cash's version.

Agreed. It's Trent's song, he shows far more emotion than Cash does.

They are both shit. Hurt (Quiet) is where it's at.

there's barely any difference between the regualr and this version....the guitar sound is cleaner and the climax towards the end is less drastic

thats it

Maybe on its own Cash's is better but the emotion of Hurt at the end of TDS, following The Downward Spiral, is so overwhelming if played while in the right mood that I voted for it. It's slow pace, its beauty, the lyrics that rap up the story (but don't make it THAT clear) all come at the perfect time.

As a stand-alone, I actually like Sad Kermit's version best. I'm not even joking, Kermit plays it really well.