DAVE MUSTAINE: 'BUCKETHEAD Is Probably Twice As Good A Guitar Player As Me And SLASH Combined'

mahimahi

DAVE MUSTAINE: 'BUCKETHEAD Is Probably Twice As Good A Guitar Player As Me And SLASH Combined' - July 18, 2008

Erin Broadley of SuicideGirls.com conducted an interview with MEGADETH mainman Dave Mustaine after his July 10, 2008 appearance at the Guitar Center store in Hollywood, California for a very special installment of "GC Sessions". A couple of excerpts from the chat follow.

SuicideGirls.com: One thing you've said before is that when you were growing up you had people like Angus Young or Jimmy Page to look up to, but that now you don't see a lot of virtuosos in metal bands.

Mustaine: Yeah…

SuicideGirls.com: Why do you think that is?

Mustaine: I think the reason that there are no, or not as many, guitar virtuosos right now is we went through a 10 year period when LINKIN PARK had come out and bands like LIMP BIZKIT that had a lot of success that were based on urban lifestyle and, uh, that whole hip hop, yo yo yo… Dude, you don't have any soul, you've got no funk, and you're fucking white as far as I can tell, [laughs] you don't have any rhythm. I'm not a racist or anything like that, and I certainly know there's great rappers in all different walks of life, but when you take away the guitar solos… people think that's the secret… have some lines and lyrics that are cool and "I'm wearing the right hat," or "I'm wearing the right windbreaker," or "I've got the right bling on," or whatever.

I was just watching — I cant believe I'm actually saying this — but "Access Hollywood", I was watching that or "Entertainment Tonight", with whatever his name is, and I agree with what the guy says a lot of the time. He's a snotty, smarmy kind of guy but he's right most of the time. He was talking about some of the stuff that was going on 10, 15 years ago with artists and it's true. Think back when MC Hammer was around. Everybody wanted to be MC Hammer. And now everybody hates him. It's sad. For me, I wish someone would have come along and said, "Listen, people are going to take your money, they're going to befriend you…" It's like, how many times have you been the last guy in the bar? Or like when your partying with your friends and when your last doob is gone, so are they.

SuicideGirls.com: M-hmm. When the party stops, your "friends" go away.

Mustaine: That was something that I found really hard to face because in this business you rely on people and you think that you've got friends. But they're not your friends; they're just people over there doing your old lady and your drugs [laughs].

SuicideGirls.com: Right, and it's also bad when the instrument or the guitar becomes secondary to the personality or the hat. Then it's like wait, wait, wait… where did the musicianship go?

Mustaine: You become a caricature of yourself. Well, see, when I think about a guy with a hat, I think of Slash. And I think Slash is an excellent guitar player. He's one of my favorites. That's a guy that's pulled it off.

SuicideGirls.com: Yeah, Slash is amazing.

Mustaine: He's brilliant; I love him. But then you see some guy like Buckethead… Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours.

SuicideGirls.com: Is there anything that really excites you about metal these days?

Mustaine: Well, I'm diggin' on what's been happening with Gigantour. Gigantour's been helping a lot of the younger bands. We had a tremendous run last Gigantour with IN FLAMES and CHILDREN OF BODOM. We just had some really super exciting news yesterday about one of the bands we're going to lock up for the next Gigantour and as soon as we can tell you we will. But it's very exciting. When the call came in and I was like, "Really? Really?! They're not wanting to headline over us? Really?" These guys are music of the people of the moment. And for them to want to play with us is great.

Read the entire interview at SuicideGirls.com.

http://suicidegirls.com/interviews/Dave+Mustaine/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Slash would deny how good Buckethead is either.

I think he already has. He made a comment about Bucket's speed and lack of emotion.

Really? I'd love a quote of that or something (not that I don't believe you :tongue2:), that sounds quite silly of him.

I don't think Slash would deny how good Buckethead is either.

I think he already has. He made a comment about Bucket's speed and lack of emotion.

Really? I'd love a quote of that or something (not that I don't believe you :tongue2:), that sounds quite silly of him.

What he said was something along the lines of what he's heard of "New Gnr's songs" , it's technically very good playing, but lacking emotion -

I dont' recall him specifically mentioning Bucket, but he did say this on Howard Stern.

"I'm wearing the right windbreaker"

Megadave's guide to style is gonna sell like fried chicken steaks at fat camp.

I thought Dave was Buckethead - I think this is just his way of promoting himself. No new Megadeth record, I can see Bucket rejoining GNR.

I disagree.

I say this time and time again, but Buckethead's main talent is repeating his guitar playing continuously until I switch off my iPod from boredom. I like listening to guitars, but I get sick and tired of listening to him after two minutes on Nottingham Lace or Jordan. I've listened to a couple more of his tracks in hopes of liking some of his other work, yet its still disappointing.

I just don't understand how people appreciate Buckethead's repetitive noise over Slash's work in Guns N' Roses. I guess that's just me though. :unsure:

I just don't understand how people appreciate Buckethead's repetitive noise over Slash's work in Guns N' Roses. I guess that's just me though. :unsure:

Nah, I'm with you - and I love Buckethead

But to compare with Slash?.....let's hear a real album with Axl first

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
I disagree.

I say this time and time again, but Buckethead's main talent is repeating his guitar playing continuously until I switch off my iPod from boredom. I like listening to guitars, but I get sick and tired of listening to him after two minutes on Nottingham Lace or Jordan. I've listened to a couple more of his tracks in hopes of liking some of his other work, yet its still disappointing.

No. Really not.

I think that Buckethead could, if he wanted to, play anything that Slash could, but Slash couldn't play what Buckethead could. Technically, whether people like it or not, Buckethead IS the better Guitarist. However, that isn't that same as being the more emotive Guitarist.

I don't understand why people war Bucket against Slash.

They are two totally different styles.

Bucket is a very technical shredder, with insane ability, who sounds like a robot in space. It's a very sci-fi/electronic, almost John Carpenter-keyboards sound to his playing.

Slash is a straight up, old school blues influenced guitarist. Totally different. Technically he's the lesser, but it doesn't make his stuff un-interesting or Bucket un-interesting. Slash has this Jimi Hendrix meets Jimmy Page sound.

Bucket is the better technical player, but I don't see how anyone could prefer one over the other without obvious bias.

It'd be like me comparing Joe Perry to John 5. Two polar opposites. And I think that's the genious stroke of Axl. He didn't try to replace Slash, he went in a totally different and new and refreshing direction.

Axl KNEW Slash couldn't be replaced.

But the fans continue the war for no real reason. :rolleyes:

Edited by Axlin08

Dave has a point there. Buckethead is amazing and a lot of people should admit that they (still) give him all that shit because a) he has a bucket on his head B) is a weirdo c) replaced Slash. When you cut that crap and compare the playing part of it - tech wise Bucket destroys Slash. And emotion emotion emotion, well when I listen to To mom, I love my parents, Colma.. But on the other hand he has a ton of material that I just don't get.

But Slash is a ultimate guitar legend and will have a lasting impact. He plays with the classic style and I enjoy it. He's great and he aint' Bucket, and Bucket ain't Slash. Totally different players and you know what I love em both!

This is like comparing Axl and Scott as singers... It's ... um.. like Axl is the way better singer tech wise, but he's lacking that emotion to sing crack-head songs with a nazi hat on his head.

i dont think better or worse comes into it with guitar playing, its music, it doesnt work that way. its about what you respond to. Some people prefer that emotive wailing bluesy type stuff and other folks prefer that light-speed technically incredible type guitar playing. personally i prefer Slash but...Slash for me has history...context. Slash i've listened to before i knew what music was, its something i've grown with like the way i've grown with my hands and feet...Guns n Roses were played around me since i was a baby and im just generally more into that blues angle but...i dunno, better, worse?!?! who gives a fuck man, just throw the shit on, get into whatever groove you're into. there aint no betters and worses at this shit, its just what you're into...some nights i'd rather hear Johnny Ramone than Jimi Hendrix...and vice versa too.

I don't understand why people war Bucket against Slash.

They are two totally different styles.

Thing is, Bucket can play Slash's - and not the other way round.

Both guitar Gods, love them for who they are.

how do you know slash cant play buckets stuff? just because he doesnt play like that doesnt mean he cant, anyway its all opinion on who is better, and opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one :D