Say what you want about pearl jam..

Zint

you know what i meeeann.. (OK, maybe i was a little outta line there) wasnt being homophobic...hooray for tolerance!s in the way you might call a guy a cunt or something.

I know that's what you were doing - using the word as a pejorative.

Edited by Angelica

Pearl Jam CANNOT do these songs very well at all for a number of reasons and the main one is that they just dont have the...synergy. What Entwhistle, Moon and Townshend had as a musical unit is near enough impossible to replicate

They cant even copy it well, let alone do better.

They weren't trying to replicate,copy,do better...or be the Who

They were paying tribute to them...you know...thanks for being so amazing!

That was the whole premise of the show...and the Who themselves were very appreciative.

Pete:"thanks for this evening...it's better than a piece of plastic".

Pearl jam nailed those songs regardless of what you think about them as a band.

I don't know many bands around today who could have nailed Quadrophenia material like that!.

Sorry man... but Oasis couldn't have pulled that off...Nirvana couldn't have pulled that off.

But he appropriated his education, it didnt appropriate him

that's some bullshit right there. quadrophenia and tommy reek of art school pomposity.

all concept, little or no musical derivation, as a rock opera should be.

thats what i meant by him appropriating his education and it not appropriating him...because although it was REALLY artsy sort of stuff, but it was expressed and played and put across with a kind of working class gusto...didnt lose sight of who he was and where he came from and what sort of music he was playing (rock n roll, fast and loose free and easy, passionate). thats what i meant by saying he appropriated it into rock n roll as opposed to like....it being the dictatorial facet. This is the entire reason Quad' and Tommy would come off lame if not for The Who playing it like they did...

They weren't trying to replicate,copy,do better...or be the Who

They were paying tribute to them...you know...thanks for being so amazing!

That was the whole premise of the show...and the Who themselves were very appreciative.

Pete:"thanks for this evening...it's better than a piece of plastic".

Pearl jam nailed those songs regardless of what you think about them as a band.

I don't know many bands around today who could have nailed Quadrophenia material like that!.

Sorry man... but Oasis couldn't have pulled that off...Nirvana couldn't have pulled that off.

i know...and believe it or not (thousands wouldn't) im not so stupid that i didnt/dont understand that. its just...i dunno...to me its like watching Paul Anka do fuckin Minor Threat shit..something about Pearl Jam just turns my fucking stomach..

Edited by ffrankwhite

that's some bullshit right there. quadrophenia and tommy reek of art school pomposity.

thats what i meant by him appropriating his education and it not appropriating him...because although it was REALLY artsy sort of stuff, but it was expressed and played and put across with a kind of working class gusto...didnt lose sight of who he was and where he came from and what sort of music he was playing (rock n roll, fast and loose free and easy, passionate). thats what i meant by saying he appropriated it into rock n roll as opposed to like....it being the dictatorial facet. This is the entire reason Quad' and Tommy would come off lame if not for The Who playing it like they did...

as a rock record I find both to be mediocre.

in fact i find pete's writing as a whole to be mediocre.

even when he was writing rock records it sounded like the songs lacked contrast, spontaneity, and 'gutso' as you call it...

the playing is all top notch - and that's why a lot of it is worth the listen,

but

a lot of the melodies fall flat, lack an individual presence, and overall memorability

the only thing that really resonates are the singles and the concept

that being said, I wish that pete would go the roger waters route and write a proper opera instead of touring with his juggernaut classic rock moneymaker

pearl jam are just the most boring band i've ever listened too!.

thats very forgiving of you. personally i'd call it a bunch of pussy ass college boy bullshit. honestly, these hooray for tolerance!s couldnt carry The Who's jock(s) :rolleyes:

i'd have to agree with you franky! they have no energy on stage or in the music. BORING! in my opinion anyway.

not that theres anything wrong with college boys...Pete Townshend was one :) But he appropriated his education, it didnt appropriate him..besides which what we call college in America aint nothing the same as what it is in England.

What's all the sneering crap about college and the appropriation of education about, anyway? Ed didn't even finish high school, let alone attend university.

Edited by Angelica

thats very forgiving of you. personally i'd call it a bunch of pussy ass college boy bullshit. honestly, these hooray for tolerance!s couldnt carry The Who's jock(s) :rolleyes:

i'd have to agree with you franky! they have no energy on stage or in the music. BORING! in my opinion anyway.

not that theres anything wrong with college boys...Pete Townshend was one :) But he appropriated his education, it didnt appropriate him..besides which what we call college in America aint nothing the same as what it is in England.

What's all the sneering crap about college and the appropriation of education about, anyway? Ed didn't even finish high school, let alone attend university.

I believe he was referring to the people that listened to the music, or at least that's what I assumed.

Pete Townsend:

"On the outside I knew Tommy was very pretentious and snobby,but on the inside it was the exact opposite.It was the most self conscious act of rebellion,in a sense,against everything that the Who stood for and everything I'd done up until then".

Sort of like your posts?

thanks,

I don't go to art school but I'll take the compliment

I know, I was actually a little off. I'd probably guess more philosophy or sociology.

Sort of like your posts?

thanks,

I don't go to art school but I'll take the compliment

I know, I was actually a little off. I'd probably guess more philosophy or sociology.

english lit w/minors in philosophy and creative writing.

should be a music major tho <_<

Edited by stevGNR666

Pearl Jam did a good job. Nobody can do The Who better than The Who though.

actually...at the VH1 Rock Honors show...the Who didn't do all that great a job of doing the Who.

The Who ceased to exist when The Ox passed.

and they've barely recovered since moon passed.

like a staggering deer by the side of a highway they schedule their next leg of the tour...

Pearl Jam did a good job. Nobody can do The Who better than The Who though.

actually...at the VH1 Rock Honors show...the Who didn't do all that great a job of doing the Who.

The Who ceased to exist when The Ox passed.

and they've barely recovered since moon passed.

like a staggering deer by the side of a highway they schedule their next leg of the tour...

The Tommy tour ('89??) was the end of it all for me.

Pete played acoustic all night (except for a few songs at the end) because of his hearing.

It just seemed kind of half baked.

And when I watched that Amazing Journey dvd,they said the only reason they went out on those tours (from the Tommy '89 tour on) was because John had pissed all his money away and was broke.

They did it for him.

I don't why,but I could kind of sens it...didn't seem real somehow.

I didn't bother going after that.

Edited by zint61

thats very forgiving of you. personally i'd call it a bunch of pussy ass college boy bullshit. honestly, these hooray for tolerance&#33;s couldnt carry The Who's jock(s) :rolleyes:

I believe he was referring to the people that listened to the music, or at least that's what I assumed.

correct :)

@Zint: part of what i was saying was in response to the fucking preposterous claim that PJ are better than The Who, THE Who, Keith, Rog', Pete and John.

(just watching The Who do Bell Boy at Charlton..THE SECRET TO ME, IT AINT FLOWN LIKE A FLAG, I CARRY IT BEHIND THIS BLEEDIN' SILLY LITTLE BADGE...WHAT SAYYYYSS: )

:):):):)

Edited by ffrankwhite

That's cool...you can go back and watch the original Who all you want...and you should...and I'm glad you do! :shades:

But it's over...it done...it's in the past.

My intention with this thread was to point out...to anyone...whether you like Pearl Jam or not...they just did a damn fine job of performing a couple of songs from Quadrophenia.

...Quadrophenia!!

That's no easy feat...and to make it sound good...no,great..is worth commending.

Quadrophenia to me is one of the greatest albums ever,it captures an essence of the confusion and turmoil of youth that most "Can't Explain".

Angelica was off the mark actually,I didn't create the thread to taunt you,it was more to say "look...look at this...perhaps from your budding musician point of view...you might not usually like them...but MAN...they did the Who up right for all the World to see in a t.v. special INTENDED to show all the world how amazing the Who were.A guy rolling around the crowd in a giant plastic ball was the farthest thing removed from what the Who were about.Pearl Jam tapped into the emotion and passion which is at the core of the Who and especially Quadrophenia.

What Pearl Jam did that night is no different to what you do here every day in regards to reverence for the Who.

When you ffrank,get a band together and play some shit off of Quadrophenia that's real cuz you ain't a college hooray for tolerance&#33; and really get where the Who were coming from..and you improve on what Pearl Jam did...I'll slide the Pearl Jam performances off to the side and commend you all to hell for such an a achievement.

Till then,they're the only band I've seen nail Quadrophenia material in such a powerful,professional way.

But to undermine the efforts of a show and bands that was intended to HONOUR the Who by going "fuck that...listen to this Youtube clip from 1972,how dare they acknowledge the Who"...is just...I dunno...silly?

Edited by zint61

That's cool...you can go back and watch the original Who all you want...and you should...and I'm glad you do! :shades:

But it's over...it done...it's in the past.

My intention with this thread was to point out...to anyone...whether you like Pearl Jam or not...they just did a damn fine job of performing a couple of songs from Quadrophenia.

...Quadrophenia!!

That's no easy feat...and to make it sound good...no,great..is worth commending.

Quadrophenia to me is one of the greatest albums ever,it captures an essence of the confusion and turmoil of youth that most "Can't Explain".

Angelica was off the mark actually,I didn't create the thread to taunt you,it was more to say "look...look at this...perhaps from your budding musician point of view...you might not usually like them...but MAN...they did the Who up right for all the World to see in a t.v. special INTENDED to show all the world how amazing the Who were.A guy rolling around the crowd in a giant plastic ball was the farthest thing removed from what the Who were about.Pearl Jam tapped into the emotion and passion which is at the core of the Who and especially Quadrophenia.

What Pearl Jam did that night is no different to what you do here every day in regards to reverence for the Who.

When you ffrank,get a band together and play some shit off of Quadrophenia that's real cuz you ain't a college hooray for tolerance&#33; and really get where the Who were coming from..and you improve on what Pearl Jam did...I'll slide the Pearl Jam performances off to the side and commend you all to hell for such an a achievement.

Till then,they're the only band I've seen nail Quadrophenia material in such a powerful,professional way.

But to undermine the efforts of a show and bands that was intended to HONOUR the Who by going "fuck that...listen to this Youtube clip from 1972,how dare they acknowledge the Who"...is just...I dunno...silly?

i guess you're right and i was being sort of a nimrod. just wish The Who would get more credit...not so much from the rock establishment but from the fans. like this board for example. odd lack of Wholigans here, i cant imagine why. The Stones get it, Beatles too....then The Who ratio is kind of a huge drop off.

sorry, just reminding myself what the fuss was about :D:D

uh...i can juuuusst about play Substitute now? :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite