Journey, Heart, and Cheap Trick tour

DirtyDeeds

I went to Journey, Heart, and Cheap Trick last night. Not a huge fan of Journey or Heart (though they're alright, I guess guilty pleasures), but I was pretty excited for Cheap Trick. We just sat in the lawn. Anyway all three bands were fantastic. They really did great performances. I really want to see Cheap Trick up close in a smaller venue now. And I went in with a "meh" attitude for Heart. But H-O-L-Y S-H-I-T. Ann Wilson is a FUCK of a singer. I couldn't believe the vocal performance she delivered. The notes she hit. Wow. And I realize they're not exactly young anymore, but her sister Nancy is still smokin'. Journey was geat, too. They always put on a good show musically. The new frontman, Arnel Pinera was jumping around all over the stage and looking like he was having a great time. He worked the crowd very well.

Anyway, despite how good the performances were, the show still sort of sucked. And that's because of the crowd. This was the worst fucking crowd I've ever seen. No response to Cheap Trick whatsoever. MAYBE a golf clap. The crowd was like, "Oh, I think I know this song," when they played "I want you to want me." What the fuck? 30+ years with several classic songs played on the radio everyday not enough to get your attention? When they played "Surrender," I thought for SURE people would be up and dancing and singing along. Fucking nothing. I was up the whole time and singing along and everything. I was there for a rock show. I'm not sure what the other people were there for. Maybe study hall or something. But other than literally a handful of us, everybody's ass was firmly glued to their seats for Cheap Trick and Heart, except for "Barricuda" in Heart's set. Even into Journey, a good 20% (at least) of people were sitting. I was very pleasantly surprised when Heart covered one of my very favorite songs, The Who's "Love Reign O'er Me." And you know, they really did it justice, too. The Who was still definitely better, but Heart did a great job, and I was really getting into it.

Then toward the end some douchebag came down and started saying to me, "Hey I don't wanna be that asshole, but can you sit down?" I told him "I'm sorry, I thought this was a rock concert. Why don't you stand up?" And the fucker wouldn't go away and he started fucking threatening and shit. Right before it was probably about to get a little more ugly (I wasn't gonna do anything. I wasn't going to sit down, but I also wasn't going to get into a fight. I'd rather turn the other cheek and let the fucker get himself kicked out), most people stood up for Barricuda. And he was like, "Oh, well.... it's just because this is a good song!" I told him that I think you could count "Love Reign O'er Me as a good song, too." He said "Man, if you want to stand during Journey, that's cool." I told him "Thanks for permission, pops."

Anyway, can you believe that shit? Being told to sit down at a rock concert? And it wasn't like he was even directly behind me. He was way back, and according to him he just "made" 20 people sit down. The fuck? Horrible atmosphere. If he didn't even think good songs were being played, why would he care if he could see or not? If he wants to see, he can get his lazy ass off his chair and stand and show the performer a little respect. If all he wanted was to sit in a lawn chair with a beer and listen to music, I suggest his yard, a six-pack, and a transistor radio. Sorry to go on and on, but that really got to me. Really, being asked to sit down at a rock concert? Really? And I guess the guy ruined several songs for himself going around asking people to please stop enjoying themselves. I mean it takes time to "make" 20 people sit down.

Give me a fucking break :lol: Mullets? This is sissy girl rock (except Cheap Trick). More like 55-year-olds. You all know you like songs from all three of these bands. A lot of people here like to act like it's such a far jump between Guns n' Roses and bands like these. Let me tell you there are far more "mullets" at a Guns show.

I've seen Cheap Trick quite a few times. They always put on a good show. I saw them this past March with Joan Jett (co headlining show) and it was a great show.

I was asked to sit down at Cruefest. Can you believe that shit? Sit down at Cruefest, yeah right! I know the guy got pissed when i told him " Hey man, just because you come to a rock show and sit in your chair watching like you're at home watching this shit in your living room on tv doesn't mean I have to, and I won't". I was waiting for him to hit me so i could have the pleasure of watching him get bounced out of there, but he just grumbled and cussed ( I smiled the whole time, pissing him off more), and eventually realized he wasn't gonna win, sat his ass back down and that was that.

Really, what the fuck is wrong with people? You wanna sit at a concert, fine, but don't try to tell me I have to do the same thing.

Are you talking about the show Sunday in Raleigh, NC? I was there and your description about the crowd is pretty accurate. The music was great but the majority of the crowd was terrible. Most of the young people were just there to get trashed and the older people never cheered. I went b/c my girlfriend LOVES Journey. I didn't know much of their stuff until we got tickets a few months ago. My Dad turned me on to Cheap Trick when I was growing up so I was really excited about seeing them. I only knew Heart's popular stuff but wow did they blow me away. I have so much more respect for them now that I've seen them live. Overall, all of the bands did a great job but yes... the crowd sucked.

Are you talking about the show Sunday in Raleigh, NC? I was there and your description about the crowd is pretty accurate. The music was great but the majority of the crowd was terrible. Most of the young people were just there to get trashed and the older people never cheered. I went b/c my girlfriend LOVES Journey. I didn't know much of their stuff until we got tickets a few months ago. My Dad turned me on to Cheap Trick when I was growing up so I was really excited about seeing them. I only knew Heart's popular stuff but wow did they blow me away. I have so much more respect for them now that I've seen them live. Overall, all of the bands did a great job but yes... the crowd sucked.

Yeah, that was the show I went to. I felt the same about Heart. I was like, "Eh, I'm sure it'll be a good time but I could take it or leave it. The synths in the songs are pretty cheesy." And then they started with the synths as their intro and I'm like, "Oh God." But then that cut and went right into some hard rocking and it was fucking awesome. My God, Ann Wilson. Wow. She hit notes so high (and pitched perfectly) that the PA couldn't even take it. I was amazed. Probably the best vocal performance I've ever seen. I mean it's one of those rare times where the singing is so amazing that it actually resonates in your gut.

Did you notice that the guy in Cheap Trick (I'm sorry, I like Cheap Trick, but I don't know the names of the band members) said about 10 times, "Like I said, We ARE Cheap Trick," like he was looking for a little recognition and crowd reaction? I mean, after a tring of classics and over 30 years of playing, you'd think a few people would be excited to hear them. For me, they were actually the main draw of the show, though I enjoyed all three. And I would have enjoyed them way more had there been any atmosphere of excitement at all.

I've seen Cheap Trick quite a few times. They always put on a good show. I saw them this past March with Joan Jett (co headlining show) and it was a great show.

I was asked to sit down at Cruefest. Can you believe that shit? Sit down at Cruefest, yeah right! I know the guy got pissed when i told him " Hey man, just because you come to a rock show and sit in your chair watching like you're at home watching this shit in your living room on tv doesn't mean I have to, and I won't". I was waiting for him to hit me so i could have the pleasure of watching him get bounced out of there, but he just grumbled and cussed ( I smiled the whole time, pissing him off more), and eventually realized he wasn't gonna win, sat his ass back down and that was that.

Really, what the fuck is wrong with people? You wanna sit at a concert, fine, but don't try to tell me I have to do the same thing.

That's happened at many a concert for me; Queen + Paul Rodgers (On the floor, no less!), Motley Crue/Aerosmith (which I did sit down for most of the show, it was fucking pouring all night), The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, Van Halen Iron Maiden and Tower Of Power (who to be fair is a sit down band)

Yeah, that was the show I went to. I felt the same about Heart. I was like, "Eh, I'm sure it'll be a good time but I could take it or leave it. The synths in the songs are pretty cheesy." And then they started with the synths as their intro and I'm like, "Oh God." But then that cut and went right into some hard rocking and it was fucking awesome. My God, Ann Wilson. Wow. She hit notes so high (and pitched perfectly) that the PA couldn't even take it. I was amazed. Probably the best vocal performance I've ever seen. I mean it's one of those rare times where the singing is so amazing that it actually resonates in your gut.

Did you notice that the guy in Cheap Trick (I'm sorry, I like Cheap Trick, but I don't know the names of the band members) said about 10 times, "Like I said, We ARE Cheap Trick," like he was looking for a little recognition and crowd reaction? I mean, after a tring of classics and over 30 years of playing, you'd think a few people would be excited to hear them. For me, they were actually the main draw of the show, though I enjoyed all three. And I would have enjoyed them way more had there been any atmosphere of excitement at all.

I definitely agree with what you said about Ann Wilson. He was hitting some really high notes and had absolutely perfect pitch. I was astonished at how great of a vocalist she is. I thought a speaker or something was gona blow with the PA too.

Yeah I did notice that the Cheap Trick guys kept reminding everyone that they were Cheap Trick. I think they wre doing that b/c of the shitty reception they were getting too. I only spotted a handful of people who were really singing along and giving them a decent reception. Made me absolutely sick to my stomach. It's not like they were some no-name opening act. They are CHEAP TRICK!!!!

I'm surprised this package draws crowds to be honest..

Nostalgia and cheap ticket prices. 3 for the price of 1 so to speak.

Personally I don't want to see Journey unless Steve Perry is singing, even though I've

heard this new guy sounds just like him.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, Zint. I'm not sure if you are saying they suck (that would seem out of character for you. Especially since I thought you were a Cheap Trick fan), or if you are just saying you are surprised people in general like them. I'm not sure why they would be any less likely than most other classic rock bands to draw crowds. They have good sing-along tunes. Each band there has a good 3-5 songs played on the radio EVERY DAY. Despite it not being Steve Perry in Journey, the guy sounds great, the tunes are great (for the most part) and have very memorable hooks, lyrics, and solos. Each band always performs well.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, Zint. I'm not sure if you are saying they suck (that would seem out of character for you. Especially since I thought you were a Cheap Trick fan), or if you are just saying you are surprised people in general like them. I'm not sure why they would be any less likely than most other classic rock bands to draw crowds. They have good sing-along tunes. Each band there has a good 3-5 songs played on the radio EVERY DAY. Despite it not being Steve Perry in Journey, the guy sounds great, the tunes are great (for the most part) and have very memorable hooks, lyrics, and solos. Each band always performs well.

Nah it's not so much that they suck...I've seen all three back in the day.

I'm just surprised anyone cares about them anymore (I mean on a grande scale).

Journey with a replacement singer??...I dunno...who gives a fuck?

I saw them open for the Stones in '78...they didn't really do much for me.

I saw Heart open for the Who...I think 79 or 80 (most likely 80)...they were excellent...did a fuckin killer version of Zep's Rock n Roll...probably one of the best Zep covers I've ever heard.

But Heart in 2008??...I'm just surpised there's a market.

Saw Cheap Trick open for Kiss in '77 on the Love Gun tour...and I saw their headline tour in '78 or '79 (I still have Rick Neilson's guitar pick from that one)...great show...but I don't know if I'd venture further than a club to see them these days.

I dunno...I guess if tickets were on the cheap as Jonesy suggested,then maybe people went for something to do...but the drawing power of those three bands today eludes me somehow.

I might go if someone gave me a free ticket...drove me to the show and back...and got me drunk. :tongue2:

I dunno man, I think the songs are just as great today as they were in the 70s. Granted I wasn't around in the 70s, but I still think they are great songs that have stood the test of time. And I don't know how Heart sounded when you saw them, but honestly, I can't imagine them sounding any better than they did a few days ago. Maybe the same, but I think it would be impossible to sound better.

I dunno, I don't think you're giving them enough credit. And though I usually would agree with wanting to see the original band or as close to it as possible, with Journey, I'd imagine that if it was Steve Perry up there, he kinda wouldn't give a shit anymore, whereas with the new guy, he's got just as good of a voice and HUGE amounts of energy because he wants it, man. He knows he has to prove himself, so he's giving it his all. And in that way, Journey seems to have gotten reinvigorated. Things become so stale when nobody has anything left to prove, but now, at least one guy does.

Then again, I dunno. Maybe I'd share your opinion if I had the same concert experiences as you. Damn it, Zint, don't make me feel guilty and bad for being that annoying 20-year-old kid that went to the concert he shouldn't have gone to and then wouldn't sit down. I don't know, every so often someone says something that makes me feel like I shouldn't really be going to these shows because I'm ruining your generation's thing or something.

But for the record the guy that asked me to sit down was only 23 or 25 or something. Actually he looked a bit fratboy-ish :lol:

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Man I'd have a blast at that concert :lol:. I'd be a fucking embarressment singing along to Journey songs, I don't like Journey really, at all, but I could sing a fair number of their songs especially if I was trashed. Heart are awesome and Cheap Trick have never got their due. Shame that you had a crap crowd man.

Then again, I dunno. Maybe I'd share your opinion if I had the same concert experiences as you. Damn it, Zint, don't make me feel guilty and bad for being that annoying 20-year-old kid that went to the concert he shouldn't have gone to and then wouldn't sit down. I don't know, every so often someone says something that makes me feel like I shouldn't really be going to these shows because I'm ruining your generation's thing or something.

nah man it's cool...my comment seems to have come off the wrong way.

I don't have a problem with them all touring together,and I don't have issues with anyone going...in fact I think it's kinda cool that a younger generation would show interest in going.

I'm just perplexed that there's a big enough fan base left to fill amphitheatres for these bands.

They haven't been anywhere near being considered "A list" in a frikkin long time,I'm just puzzled by it.

It's kinda like...let's say...Winger/Warrant and Trixter touring together...it just strikes me as "people wanna see them??".

Glad you dug the show though...and yeah for sure,I'd love to see Cheap Trick in a small venue.

The other two bands...for me...once was enough.