Fortus' cousin - Olympic rower Anna Goodale - Says CD Finished

madison

DATE: Aug, 8, 2008

SOURCE: AP

Gold on the drawing board

By the Associated Press

Posted Friday, August 8, 2008 7:31 AM ET

BEIXIAOYING TOWN, China (AP) - Whenever Anna Goodale looks at the illustrations of the "Gibson Girl," she sees all the traits her famed great-great grandfather would want her to have.

"She's kind of a strong, powerful woman," Goodale said of the portraits by her ancestor, early 20th century illustrator Charles Dana Gibson. "We've had a couple of those in my family. I can relate."

Goodale's family tree has its roots steeped in American culture, from Gibson - whose illustrations epitomized the ideal American woman of his era - to her guitar strumming cousin from the rock band Guns N' Roses, Richard Fortus.

Oh, and Goodale's aunt swam the English Channel.

Goodale is part of a decorated U.S. women's eight crew that will be a heavy medal favorite when heats begin on Sunday.

The women's eight won gold in two straight World Cups, the 2007 World Championships and has coach Tom Terhaar believing the crew might be the country's best shot at an Olympic medal.

"The idea of the Olympics is way beyond anything I could have dreamed," Goodale said.

Winning Olympic gold was hardly a childhood dream for a girl raised on a sheep farm and home schooled in rural Maine. She didn't even play organized sports until high school, and hoped to follow in the path of her great-great grandfather.

"My whole family is very artistic," Goodale said during a recent conversation at the U.S. boathouse in West Windsor, N.J. "It's just in our blood."

Goodale was an illustration major at Syracuse and might have followed that path had her 6-foot frame not been spotted on campus by some varsity rowers who suggested she should give the grueling sport a try. For Goodale, taking a shot was what a "Gibson Girl" stood for.

"There aren't many places in the world where you really feel at home," she said. "It's incredible to be around so many amazing women who are just so strong and amazing and beautiful."

Goodale hasn't given up on her artistic pursuits. The four-time national team member recently completed the illustrations on a children's book titled, "The Wren's Summer Day," by Matthew Stevens.

Goodale has also hung out with Guns N' Roses, whose long-delayed next album, "Chinese Democracy," has been in the works longer than Goodale has had a rowing career.

"I haven't heard any of the tracks," she said, laughing. "It's done. They're just not releasing it. He says it's just on hold. Eventually it will come out."

Maybe she'll crank some of the band's classics before she hits the water. Or perhaps she'll prepare with a little quiet time with her colors and her imagination.

"It has seemed so far away for so long," she said on Friday. "Now that it's here, it feels even more unreal."

Goodale has also hung out with Guns N' Roses, whose long-delayed next album, "Chinese Democracy," has been in the works longer than Goodale has had a rowing career.

"I haven't heard any of the tracks," she said, laughing. "It's done. They're just not releasing it. He says it's just on hold. Eventually it will come out."

Maybe she'll crank some of the band's classics before she hits the water. Or perhaps she'll prepare with a little quiet time with her colors and her imagination.

"It has seemed so far away for so long," she said on Friday. "Now that it's here, it feels even more unreal."

http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlet...sid=184065.html

Related forum discussion:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=122675