Richey Edwards - What Do You Think?

Marky

Richey's Status - The 4 Main Theories  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edwards disappeared on 1 February 1995, on the day that he and James Dean Bradfield were due to fly to the U.S. on a promotional tour. In the two weeks before his disappearance, Edwards withdrew £200 a day from his bank account, which totalled £2800 by February 1. He checked out of the Embassy Hotel in Bayswater Road, London at seven in the morning, and it has been proven that he then drove to his apartment in Cardiff, Wales. In the two weeks that followed he was apparently spotted in the Newport passport office, and the Newport bus station. On 7 February, Anthony Hatherhall, a taxi driver from Newport, supposedly picked up Edwards from the King's Hotel in Newport, and drove him around the valleys, including Blackwood (Edwards’ home as a child). The passenger got off at the Severn View service station and paid the £68 fare in cash.

On 14 February, Edwards' Vauxhall Cavalier received a parking ticket at the Severn View service station and on 17 February, the vehicle was reported as abandoned. Police discovered the battery to be flat, with evidence that the car had been lived in. Due to the service station's proximity to the Severn Bridge (which has been a renowned suicide location in the past) and Edwards' depressive state at the time, it was widely believed that he took his own life by jumping from the bridge. Many people who knew him, however, have said that he was never the type to contemplate suicide and he himself was quoted in 1994 as saying "In terms of the 'S' word, that does not enter my mind. And it never has done, in terms of an attempt. Because I am stronger than that. I might be a weak person, but I can take pain."

Since then he has purportedly been spotted in a hippie market in Goa, India and on the islands of Fuerteventura and Lanzarote. There have been other alleged sightings of Edwards, especially in the years immediately following his disappearance. However, none of these have proved conclusive and none have been confirmed by investigators.

The investigation itself has received criticism. In his book Everything (A Book About Manic Street Preachers), Simon Price states that aspects of the investigation were "far from satisfactory." He asserts the police may not have taken Edwards' mental state into account when prioritising his disappearance. Price also records Edwards' sister Rachel as having "hit out at police handling" after CCTV footage was analysed two years after the disappearance. Price records a member of the investigation team as stating "that the idea that you could identify somebody from that is arrant nonsense." While his family had the option of declaring him legally dead from 2002, they have chosen not to, and his status remains open as a missing person.

Since his disappearance, the band have continued to pay 25% of royalties earned into an account, to be kept for Edwards.

http://www.richeyedwards.net/

http://www.richeyedwards.net/chronology.html

And an interesting quote from one of the articles:

Police are following up a new lead into the disappearance of missing Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards, according to a report in the South Wales Echo.

Tracey Jones, a British-born barmaid on the remote island of Fuerteventura - described as a 'Robinson Crusoe' island-in the Canary Islands, was working in the Underground Bar in the town of Corralejo.

She and another customer spotted a thin man in the pub.

"One of the customers shouted 'You're Richey from the Manic Street Preachers!'," she said. "The man just started to run towards the door and within seconds he was gone."

The unnamed customer and the barmaid told the newspaper that hey were certain that the man was the missing Manics guitarist.

So what do you guys think happened to him?

I care and i don't. He made his own choice regardless. The man means quite alot to me really, not in a 'Richey cult' esque way but in others. I don't think anyone can ever say he was insane, he was in my opinion a legitimate genius, with many many problems. Lack of coping skills and an overdeveloped mind do not equal insane, just a very troubled mind.

Personally i doubt he killed himself after those two weeks, if his mind was made up he would have anyway, not driven around and visited home and son. Plus he had been obsessed with the idea of 'the perfect disappearance' for a while in the build up, but given what he was like easily could have gone a step too far a million times since then. I hope he found peace regardless.

EDIT: Posted this recently. Thought it was spot on when i found it. It pleased me.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=122017

Edited by JAC185

^Cheers for that, pretty good read.

The Manics always wanted to be like GNR, have a defining album that the band would inevitably never beat (The Holy Bible - get the 10th anniversary edition if you don't have it yet) and then disappear. And yes, Richey was very obsessed with the perfect disappearance. He was a man of great culture, reading book after book etc.

God bless him wherever he is!

Edited by markyboy101

I would still like to think he's alive, and finally found peace of mind and slayed all his demons..

If not i hope he is resting in peace.

I loved Gold Against The Soul, imo excellent album. Never got the reconigtion it deserved at the time.

Since Richie went walkabouts for me anyways i think they lost a certain something..

I know they went on to be very successful but they lacked that raw edge they had with Richie's contributions.

Since Richie went walkabouts for me anyways i think they lost a certain something..

I know they went on to be very successful but they lacked that raw edge they had with Richie's contributions.

I totally agree.

I don't know about Richey. I'd like to think he's still alive and happy.

"It is possible that had he not disappeared, the album that would have followed The Holy Bible would have been dramatically different from the melodic, accessible rock heard on Everything Must Go, Edwards having expressed a desire to create a concept album described as "Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails meets Screamadelica"."

"It is possible that had he not disappeared, the album that would have followed The Holy Bible would have been dramatically different from the melodic, accessible rock heard on Everything Must Go, Edwards having expressed a desire to create a concept album described as "Pantera meets Nine Inch Nails meets Screamadelica"."

I've not got Everything Must Go, I only have Holy Bible.

Whats EMG like?

I know it's got such a sad cover, just the 3 of them on the front, where there should be 4 :(

Whats EMG like?

I know it's got such a sad cover, just the 3 of them on the front, where there should be 4 :(

Actually it has some Edwards lyrics, so it's a cross over from HB.

Kevin Carter - basically Richey is likening himself to the famed photogrpaher who won awrds for photographing starving in Ethiopia.

Small Black Flowers that grow in the Sky - basically like Nirvana song Polly but with Richey's lyrics about being a caged animal who "paces around pathetic pound games" - I felt pointless cos he bought a flat, he saw his life as played out.

Removables - about cutting himself - but I also think of it as about removal guys who move your furniture.

Elvis Impersonator - "Over weight and out of date" - Richey sees himself in the future as an overweight Elvis impersonator on Blackpool pier. He was once sited in NYC over weight, recovering from anorexia, eating hot dogs near central park.

Girl That Wanted To Be God - I think it's about Richey identifying with Sylvia Plath. One of his fantasies was to just "swim out to sea and never come back" - like in the Bell Jar - Sylivia Plath's book.

Then the other half of the album is Wire's recovery songs (Australia - as featured on MOTD) and final farewell (Everything Must Go - basically selling out what the bands original ideals)

Pretty much the best Manics album unless you are seriously suicidal.

Send Away The Tigers is good, the ones inbetween flirt with the past and some lyrics could easily be Edwards work - he left note books of lyrics but Wire claims he writes songs about Richey but he doesn't use the ones left behind.

"Who sees the interiors like young Willem (De Kooning, abstract painter) once did?"

Sort of how Richey could see things other couldn't and now he's gone what are we gonna do?

Answer: get drunk and watch football.

Whats EMG like?

Kevin Carter - basically Richey is likening himself to the famed photogrpaher who won awrds for photographing starving in Ethiopia.

Small Black Flowers that grow in the Sky - basically like Nirvana song Polly but with Richey's lyrics about being a caged animal who "paces around pathetic pound games" - I felt pointless cos he bought a flat, he saw his life as played out.

Removables - about cutting himself - but I also think of it as about removal guys who move your furniture.

Elvis Impersonator - "Over weight and out of date" - Richey sees himself in the future as an overweight Elvis impersonator on Blackpool pier. He was once sited in NYC over weight, recovering from anorexia, eating hot dogs near central park.

Girl That Wanted To Be God - I think it's about Richey identifying with Sylvia Plath. One of his fantasies was to just "swim out to sea and never come back" - like in the Bell Jar - Sylivia Plath's book.

Then the other half of the album is Wire's recovery songs (Australia - as featured on MOTD) and final farewell (Everything Must Go - basically selling out what the bands original ideals)

Send Away The Tigers is good, the ones inbetween flirt with the past and some lyrics could easily be Edwards work - he left note books of lyrics but Wire claims he writes songs about Richey but he doesn't use the ones left behind.

"Who sees the interiors like young Willem (De Kooning, abstract painter) once did?"

Sort of how Richey could see things other couldn't and now he's gone what are we gonna do?

What a man.

Im'ma put on Holy Bible now.

What a tune Yes is.

Whats EMG like?

What a man.

Im'ma put on Holy Bible now.

What a tune Yes is.

Everything's For Sale.

A song about feeling completely worthless after sleeping with a hooker in Thailand.

"It's just an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff"

He never came across as insane or crazy.

I think touring for him was boring, maybe even being in a band.

He disappeared on the eve of their first US tour.

Some say he just didn't want to be in a band anymore and just moved to Birmingham and got a job in warehouse.

His car was found by the Severn (river) which has strong currents so...

He was definitely reading the wrong books.

They had session musicians do Generation Terrorists.
Despite the whole band being credited in the album notes, Bradfield played all guitars and bass on the album. This made him the only band member to play on the album, as Sean Moore programmed a drum machine rather than actually playing live drums on the album.

Apparently they always had Richey turned down low on live shows. The often-made misconception was that he was completely turned OFF, but his amps were just lower.

Reminds me of when Queen played live, and Deacon's mike was lower than May and Taylor's, and one gig, the sound guys got it mixed up and made Deacon LOUDER than the others. :lol: