David Bowie

LEARNING PROCESS

I love him; the Berlin Trilogy is amazing, and his glam stuff is great too. Over the past few days, I've downloaded a compilation of his 80s material and some of his more recent material like Reality and Heathen and they're a lot better than I was expecting. "Space Oddity" is one of the worst songs ever made, though. :mellow:

Space Oddity makes me well up every time.

I don't know too many Bowie songs. What I do know (Heroes, Changes, Space Oddity, a few others maybe), well, I'm not really into them. I actually do like his bigger commercial hits (China Girl, Let's Dance) which I get the feeling his hardcore fans didn't like as much. One day I will check out some more of his music simply because he is held in such high regard and I'm curious.

Damn, he has a lot of releases: http://www.windowsmedia.com/Mediaguide/Tem...20%20%20%203753 :blink:

Edited by KBear

I actually do like his bigger commercial hits (China Girl, Let's Dance) which I get the feeling his hardcore fans didn't like as much.

If most fans don't like China Girl , I'm assuming it's probably because Bowie already made it with Iggy Pop a few years before, and many people (myself included) just prefer Iggy's. Bowie's cover is decent, but Iggy just sounds more natural on the track to me.

I love Bowie through all phases of his career. The glam rock stuff is awesome, the Eno Berlin Trilogy is awesome, even the Trent Reznor song is awesome (I'm in a minority on that one). My favourite experimental album of his is Low and my favourite "traditional" record is probably Ziggy Stardust, but Heroes and Station to Station are great too.

I've always preferred Aladdin Sane to Ziggy Stardust. Ziggy's great but I think it drags on a bit, and some of the tracks -- "Ziggy Stardust", "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide" and "Suffragette City", in particular -- sound so much better live. On the album, I think they're paced way too slowly, especially "Suffragette".

Edited by Black Monk Time

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Great musician. Love some of him albums.

Haven't listen much to him in the last two years though.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I love the David Bowie albums I've heard. The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars are one of the best albums ever made and Hunky Dory and The Man Who Sold The World are great too. I haven't listened to any Bowie besides his years with Mick Ronson but I've been meaning to listen to the Berlin Trilogy for quite some time now...

• 5 months later...
Guest deleted_19765
I've been listening a lot to Station to Station lately - it's really growing on me.

That was Genesis' (if you remember him, not sure if you would) favorite Bowie album, I could never really get into it myself though. "Golden Years", "Stay", and "Wild is the Wind" are all great tracks, the rest of it I don't like as much.

here he is like you might not have seen him before

- this would have been not that long after he was Davy Jones & the Kingbees, when he recorded an album full of odd quirky songs about things like gnomes; he had that typical enchanted storyteller persona back then. I guess that's the basis from which he evolved his future characters and songs. Definitely a man born into his destiny. The world would never have been the same without him, I'm sure no one could disagree with that. And he has aged so gracefully into his maturity. How very well he handled his fame and fortune, always with a smile on his face.

... And this, lol

Edited by maXx diaTribE