Best antivirus

Guest Iron Fist SS

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I suspect that I've got some virus the last weeks, because my computer has gone really slow. I don't know much about these stuff, but I've tried my best in making it faster. (:xmassrudolph:) Defragment, cleaned the disk and stuff like that... Anyways, the antivirusprogram I had ended 2 month ago, and I didn't wanna pay more for it. And I didn't have the energy to get any free yet. The problem is, that when I tried to do that another time, the antivirus was millions of viruses... <_<

So the question is; What shall I get? And how do I get it, and how do I use it?

NOD32 is the best paid AV. Kaspersky follows a very close second IMO.

AVG, Antivir and Avast are good free ones, but I prefer to use AVG.

If you have a router, there is no need really for a firewall unless for outbound stuff. Zone Alarm is horrible and slow. I hear Comodo is better.

If you have a virus, your best bet is to download the NOD32 trial from filehippo to get rid of it, then remove it and use AVG.

Edited by Max™

I've argued for Norton in the past. Again, I'll just say I've used Norton for something like ten years, many versions on about four different computers. I've only ever had minor problems that were easily resolved. Norton always scores near the top in reviews http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2231625,00.asp. The old versions were apparently resource hogs (something frankly I didn't experience) but the 2008 version has really cut down on that. It's actually very slick, everything from the installation to day to day use has gone without a hitch for me. One thing I just discovered is that Symantec has a forum where users can post issues they are having, and other users and even Symantec staff will respond with solutions. They seem very eager to collect feedback as well, so I think they are listening to what their users want. They've also introduced free upgrades to the newest version as long as you are still within your subscription period. I tried a different program once and was burned with multiple failed installation attempts, so I've decided until they give me reason to switch I'll just stick to what has worked for me.

Anyways, this wasn't meant to be a Norton ad! :rofl-lol: In terms of free, I concur with what others have said. AVG seems to be the choice. You might also try downloading an antispyware program. Counterspy has a 15 day free trial of their full program...just to make sure you have no spyware installed. Also, this is a handy tool for web browsing: http://www.explabs.com/ Select Products and then LinkScanner Lite for the free version. Alternatively there is McAfee Siteadvisor, but it does not scan websites in real time. It's free as well. Or you can just go to www.siteadvisor.com and type in a web address and it'll give you results. You can't just blindly trust these tools, but they are good to have nevertheless. Norton Antibot is another program, I think like Counterspy there is a free trial. Rather than definitions based, it's behaviour based. If there is something your AV doesn't pick up, Antibot might get it if the virus is acting suspiciously (i.e. like a virus!).

Edited by KBear

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I took AVG. I will be okay with that? That is enough to have?

Firewall, doesn't that slow down the computer? I've got the impression that they do. I don't know why, because I haven't read it somewhere. I think. I don't think anyone has said it to me either. :unsure:

PS. Do remember that I don't know much about computers, so don't diss me for these beginner questions. :lol:

Thank you for the help!

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you need a firewall. AV is not enough. ZoneAlarm I believe is free and is well regarded. At the very least you should turn on the Windows firewall, but you can do better. I think it only monitors incoming, not outgoing, traffic.

You should also get an antispyware program. It won't slow down your system if you don't have it monitoring in the background. It would just be available for scanning on demand. http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php is probably the best of the free ones. The 2007 version received bad reviews and was plagued with problems, but from what I've read the 2008 vesion is much better. I haven't tried it yet myself.

I am currently running Norton Firewall and AV, an antispyware program that is monitoring in the background, and Norton Antibot. I probably am experiencing slowdown, but it's not as bad as you might think. It also depends on what you do on your PC. If you usually don't run anything that is very processor intensive (like games or other graphics programs) then you should be okay. Depends on your PC of course too.

AVG is best when money is a problem, as for the firewall i would recommend getting one, comodo firewall is very good and easy to use.

Comodo

Without a decent firewall you should not be on line, people can easily take control of ports like HTTP or FTP ports which makes it easier to hack and infiltrate....... i think

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

It isn't that it's to much money, but I think it's something unnecessary to put money on this. After a scan of the computer it said that I didn't have any viruses. So something else slow down the computer, but I have no idea what. <_<

Anyways, what could people do if they hacked into my computer? I don't have anything to hide. Can they delete files? Because that would be a disaster for me if they did. Anyways, why would anyone do that to me? How could they come into my computer? Could they read my bank account information and get my money that way? I'm usually very careful when I am online, in what sites I visit and stuff like that.

They can really do anything, the point is not what they can do but more what they can be bothered doing.More important are the viruses that use weak firewalls to infiltrate ports undetected.

Several things can slow down a computer might be best to post your specs so people can determine how good your system is, specifically what things are slow?

Any one thing over another?

Edited by GET OFF AXLS BACK

Download and run HiJackThis.

Do a scan and cut n paste the log file it gives you on here. We can get rid of some of the crap from there.

In the meantime, the best junk file cleaner is CCleaner. Run that and delete what it finds. Ive had anything up to 3GB of junk files removed when using on certain peoples machines. (Don't install the Yahoo toolbar with it though).

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Ok this HiJackThis showed this.

CCleaner, is that the same thing as RegCure?

EDIT: Forgot to write, what should I do with this? :lol:

EDIT 2: I have no idea what my computer have for specs on this computer. Is there anywhere I can check that without take apart the computer? Just some program in the computer? Because I can't take apart the computer on my own.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 21:28:16, on 2008-09-01

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16674)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe

C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

C:\Program Files\BitComet\BitComet.exe

C:\Program Files\Last.fm\LastFM.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\usnsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Personal\bin\Personal.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

D:\Annat\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe

C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://handelsbanken.se/

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local

O2 - BHO: Länkhjälp till Adobe PDF Reader - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\GRA8E1~1.DLL

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)

O2 - BHO: Windows Live inloggningshjälpen - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NeroCheck.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NBKeyScan] "C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBKeyScan.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [indxStoreSvr_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe" ASO-616B5711-6DAE-4795-A05F-39A1E5104020

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll

O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL

O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe

O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll

O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab

O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\GR99D3~1.DLL

O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll

O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Bonjour-tjänst (Bonjour Service) - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe

--

End of file - 6248 bytes

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Run hijackthis again and remove the following lines (be sure to backup first):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local < wierd

O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\GRA8E1~1.DLL < Bullshit

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file) < bullshit

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll < not a virus but I wouldn't assume you are using Netware, so remove.

O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL < bullcrap

There doesn't seem to be anything suspicious here though. You can remove a lot more from your PC startup like some of the Nero and Groove stuff. It all depends on what you use frequently. There doesn't seem to be anything virus like though.

EDIT: C:\Program Files\Personal\bin\Personal.exe < seems to be suspicious possibly. End the task or stop it loading and see if thigns speed up.

Edited by Max™

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

How do I make a backup? As I told you, I'm like a five years old on these stuff. :lol:

C:\Program Files\Personal\bin\Personal.exe <<That is what I use to get into my bank account.

Anyways, I ended it, but I don't notice any difference.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Ok this HiJackThis showed this.

CCleaner, is that the same thing as RegCure?

EDIT: Forgot to write, what should I do with this? :lol:

http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html

Not sure what to do though, I've never used this program myself.

I'm wary about messing with my registry. I've read too many bad things. But CCleaner will do other things, not just registry files, and reviews are mostly positive.

I had a trusted program remove stuff from my registry once (an entry related to Flash). Flash didn't function after that. I had to uninstall and reinstall it, and it still doesn't work in Firefox on The Weather Network's website. Works everywhere else though. Kind of odd, clearly it's installed and working. Works in IE and Opera too. Anyways, I'm getting off topic - point is that messing with your registry can cause problems. Maybe Max knows - if you do a backup of your registry first (like CCleaner allows) what happens if the registry cleaner deletes a file that's so important that it prevents your PC from working at all? How would you recover from that with your backup if you can't even start your PC?

And like Max said, you can remove stuff from your PC startup so that less programs load and eat up resources whenever you start your PC. I know you can do this through msconfig, which I did for a while but it was a bit of a pain because it would sometimes lose my settings. I now have another program that handles this for me. Basically, stuff like Nero and Quicktime, I only want them running when I need them. So I can set it up so they don't load on their own.

I don't think you've mentioned your PC's specs yet.

Edited by KBear

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Okay. Thank you very much for your time and help first of all!

Now this thing O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll can't be deleted of some reason. Is that a problem?

EDIT: It's empty in my Startup. However, there are many programs that turns on when I start the computer anyways. This isn't a very big problem for me, because I rarley turn the computer of. Can that make it slower? I think it was three weeks since I started it last time.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

I turn my PC off every day. Sometimes it needs to re-start, not sure exactly why, but it has something to do with re-freshing files. Also, when you update software and download Microsoft updates, a lot of those require a reboot to actually start functioning.

If you are looking at Startup under the Start menu, for some reason that doesn't show all the programs that load.

You have to go to Start > Run > type msconfig > click the Startup tab. This will show you what loads at startup. You can unclick the ones you don't need. Just make sure you don't need them first.

Edited by KBear

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

The reason I don't reboot is that I have problems having my internet working after a reboot. It never works when I turn on the computer again, and I don't know what to do with it. It can take days to make it work sometimes.

I've put the Windows updates so that I need to update it myself. It was very annoying when I woke up and it had reboot after an update, so that I couldn't get online for hours (and sometimes a week...)

If anyone knows how to deal with this I'd be very happy. :lol: Non of my friends have ever heard of that so they can't help me.

EDIT: Thank you KBear, I turned of all things in the Startup.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Don't turn off everything, some of that stuff may be needed by your computer. Only turn off what you are sure you don't need and don't want.

As for the Internet thing, I have no idea. What do you do that makes it finally work? You may need to work with your ISP or the modem manufacturer to solve this...then again someone else here may have some idea.