Metallica Death Magnetic

JD GNR

just an uninspired crap they have done 20 years ago. Every one knows this is just an attempt of pleasing the Mullets after the shit they got from St.Hanger record.

They have sold more than 100 million records, they have a far larger target audience than just "mullets."

There's always some value in a huge band giving the public what they want.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just an uninspired crap they have done 20 years ago. Every one knows this is just an attempt of pleasing the Mullets after the shit they got from St.Hanger record.

They have sold more than 100 million records, they have a far larger target audience than just "mullets."

There's always some value in a huge band giving the public what they want.

don't talk music with Funeral... :no:

Uhh, you're on a nugnr forum and going on about someone else's new material being uninspired crap? Gotta love the irony.

Anyway, DM is both a great effort at both getting back that old school feel to it and moving forward with something new and fresh. Besides, metallica has a larger core fanbase than gnr, so the comment about pleasing one group was pretty embarrassing on this guy's part.

Axl n' roses should take note as far as how to impress more than one target demographic...that is unless axl is only concerned with pleading the dreadlocks like this funeral guy

Incredible album. Greatest return to form of all-time - I'd rate this as my third favourite Metallica album, it's that good.

If Chinese Democracy is even half the album this is, it'll be worth the wait.

Death Magnetic took a couple of years to put together though, proportionately CD has to be x10 or x12 times better than this by now...

I hate to say it but stepping back and looking at Metallica's recent history, it makes the GNR situation all the more ridiculous. Even more ridiculous than it already was

just think of Lars and the Napster situation, the "Some kind of monster" documentary and how little these guys got along, then the backlash on St Anger. Then they come back in full force. All the while they kept the fans informed and even embraced leaking and the internet. Take note Axl, stop being so fucking batshit crazy

Great album. Really combines some of their best stuff pre-Black Album with a little bit of St. Anger, so its not entirely retro in that sense.

Gotta hand it to Rick Rubin in the songwriting department, but the production could be better. Rick favors a stripped-down sound, and increasingly, his records have sounded less and less produced (it all started with SOAD's Hypnotize/Mesmerize). I would have liked to heard the guitars amped up, drums put down in the mix, and Hetfield's voice less compressed and more powerful (a little overdubbing/reverb, a big Rubin-no-no). Other than that, this is some good stuff...especially love that "Bow Down/Sell Your Soul to Me" line juxtaposed with the VERY metal backing riff...find myself going back to that track.

Final note...I'm not jumping on the "St. Anger sucks" bandwagon that seems to be so popular in the media, whom five years ago, praised the album left and right. I liked the album when it was released, it was a raw, powerful return to the band's roots...sure, it was a tough listen, but considering what crappy rock was out in 2003, it was pretty damn good. However, I will agree that only about three tracks from this set have held up, which isn't saying much...but more than can be said for the Load/ReLoad butt-rockers. All in all, their previous album was a good experiment and a nice kick in the ass especially when rock (and myself) needed it. Welcome back Metallica!

Is there anyone who doesn't like this album?

I am not sure I have ever seen an album come out to such universal praise among both fans and media. It is a testament to what happens when you stop trying to recreate the wheel and actually give the fans the music they want to hear.

I am not sure I have ever seen an album come out to such universal praise among both fans and media. It is a testament to what happens when you stop trying to recreate the wheel and actually give the fans the music they want to hear.

are you fucking kidding me? every critic reaction has been "better than st. anger but still shitty" . If that's praise, well then it is great! :rofl-lol:

Edited by superloconoriega

are you fucking kidding me? every critic reaction has been "better than st. anger but still shitty" . If that's praise, well then it is great! :rofl-lol:

Every critic?

I haven't heard that at all, everything I've been reading has endless praise for it as a fantastic return to form. Anyone who says otherwise is probably retarded TBH.

This album is unbelievable. I had pretty much zero hope for this album after hearing The Day That Never Comes when it first came out, but the rest of the album blows that one song away, and after a few listens, I actually quite like The Day That Never Comes.

That Was Just Your Life is my fave track, the first three songs really start that album off something awesome.

I'll be the dissenting voice in all of this universal praise - The album's average.

Certainly lightyears better than St. Anger, but the songs are still too long and meandering without actually building or going anywhere, the lyrics are mostly banal, and The Unforgiven III is just a pale shadow of the first two.

The album's fast, I'll give it that - And the solos rock. All in all, Death Magnetic has its moments... but anyone holding this up as a record on par with Ride/Master/Justice is deluding themselves.

in regards to the nu GNR vs. nu Metallica, the thing is that Death Magnetic actually SOUNDS LIKE METALLICA. I love the new GNR stuff but lets be honest, Chicken Dinner or Schacklers or whatever sounds absolutely nothing like GNR, nor does if the world.

At least if you played these bands news stuff back to back form casual fans, people would be able to tell it was Metallica by the music. if it wasnt for Axl's distinctive voice, no one would guess GNR

Had my brother round last night - first we listened to Death Magnetic and then to the Chinese Democracy leaks...

Sorry to say but "Nu" Metallica wiped the floor with "nu" GNR

Wow, you obviously haven't been paying attention. When critics give a track-by-track review, praising most of the tracks on the album, then that's called praise. Go look up some of the reviews.