Metallica Death Magnetic

JD GNR

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received it this morning and gave it a listen shortly after.

My first impressions are that while it's better some of the more recent Metallica albums, it's still lacking that special, umm ... something. The special something they had on Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. I currently find myself thinking that the album wasn't too memorable, although it does have it's moments. The intro for "The Unforgiven III" I really like, but I can't remember too much else from Death Magnetic. I'll give it another listen tomorrow and see if I can get more into it.

By the way, the production is terrible on this album. Sometimes it's a whole mess of noise and it ruins some of the songs. Shame.

I received it this morning and gave it a listen shortly after.

My first impressions are that while it's better some of the more recent Metallica albums, it's still lacking that special, umm ... something. The special something they had on Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. I currently find myself thinking that the album wasn't too memorable, although it does have it's moments. The intro for "The Unforgiven III" I really like, but I can't remember too much else from Death Magnetic. I'll give it another listen tomorrow and see if I can get more into it.

By the way, the production is terrible on this album. Sometimes it's a whole mess of noise and it ruins some of the songs. Shame.

You know what it's missing? More interesting drumming. The drumming is fine, but a bit boring. Lars should have done something similar to what he did on ...And Justice For All.

If you'd told me after the Black Album I would ever be able to get into Metallica again I'd have thought you were an idiot. Then on a whim I listened to the live version of Cyanide and felt the need to actually buy the cd. It's not a remarkable album, but it's certainly a good one. My only complaint is that the lyrics aren't that great.

A word of advice: by all means, buy the retail CD (I'm not encouraging illegal downloading), but if you do, you should immediately go online and download the Guitar Hero version of the album. The mix is different: no clips, for example. It sounds incredibly better than the actual disc, and there's an interesting article here about the differences.

It's official - the distortion that Metallica fans are so enraged by on the new album "Death Magnetic", and that mastering engineer Ted Jensen was so unhappy about is not present on the version used for the Playstation 3 game "Guitar Hero", exactly as was suggested by forum discussions yesterday and described in my last post. I have been sent what I understand to be sample files from both versions, and although I'm not at work I don't need SADiE or B&W monitoring to confirm that the Guitar Hero version sounds much better. In comparison, the released CD version is - to coin a technical phrase - smashed to f**k.

So it would actually be worth it to download the video game version? That's fucked up, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I still love the sound of the real CD though, as distored as it may be. It really kicks your ass compared to the GH versions.

Check this shit out:

Yup.jpg

The bottom ones are from the GH versions, obviously.

Edited by FunkyMonk