The Beatles.. The most greatest and most important band of all time, where do Gn'R really stand?

FilterEight

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care about influence, I care about great music. The original GNR is my favorite rock band all-time, followed by the Rolling Stones. Too bad GNR dismantled and Axl didn't release an album and did nothing thoughout his 30's. What a waste. He still should find a way to work with Slash and make more great music. The new stuff is better than anything on the radio today, but it doesn't top Coma, Civil War, WTTJ etc., and it never will.

Nice to see you have heard the albums then, mind sharing?...

Are you fucking dumb?

I don't care about influence, I care about great music. The original GNR is my favorite rock band all-time, followed by the Rolling Stones. Too bad GNR dismantled and Axl didn't release an album and did nothing thoughout his 30's. What a waste. He still should find a way to work with Slash and make more great music. The new stuff is better than anything on the radio today, but it doesn't top Coma, Civil War, WTTJ etc., and it never will.

Um, you have heard of a guy named Skwerl and MSL correct? Do you live under a rock????

Might as well split hairs. You said that the new stuff will never top will never top the old, when in fact, you are comparing demos to finished to finished versions. It’s too early to say what will and won’t top this or that. But everyone to their own I suppose…

Are you fucking dumb?

I dunno, am I? It was merely an observation about the way the post was worded…

Lol let me rephrase. In my opinion, Guns n roses are the best fucking band ever. NO ONE rocks as hard as they did. But as far as other people see them, they were just a band that came and went. They are not compared to the beetles, zep, and stones by people who really follow and analyze rock history.

I have to agree in part with that........ are they in the calibre of beatles, zep, stones etc.... SIMPLY NO! These bands have been around for years and produced many albums. Many influential bands of today and past have quoted these bands as being their influence. Granted some have taken this influence and given it their own twist. Love them or hate them even bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam have had much influence on the musical scene. They took music like gunners made (ROCK) and put a twist on it. Hence the Grunge movement.

But Gunners did pave the way as mentioned earlier for changing the face of Hair Metal with their raw gritty sound. AFD.

I have lived through 5 decades of music and have seen music change and adapt to the scene. I have always said the recipe for success is to take a winning formula ROCK and give it a twist thats different. But having said that gone are the days of bands having longevity.

jmo

Lol let me rephrase. In my opinion, Guns n roses are the best fucking band ever. NO ONE rocks as hard as they did. But as far as other people see them, they were just a band that came and went. They are not compared to the beetles, zep, and stones by people who really follow and analyze rock history.

I have to agree in part with that........ are they in the calibre of beatles, zep, stones etc.... SIMPLY NO! These bands have been around for years and produced many albums. Many influential bands of today and past have quoted these bands as being their influence. Granted some have taken this influence and given it their own twist. Love them or hate them even bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam have had much influence on the musical scene. They took music like gunners made (ROCK) and put a twist on it. Hence the Grunge movement.

But Gunners did pave the way as mentioned earlier for changing the face of Hair Metal with their raw gritty sound. AFD.

I have lived through 5 decades of music and have seen music change and adapt to the scene. I have always said the recipe for success is to take a winning formula ROCK and give it a twist thats different. But having said that gone are the days of bands having longevity.

jmo

Your post is 100% right, except for the hair metal bit. Are you an old fart (in an Axl kinda way?) Because you must have music cool taste.

urm you could say im one of the older members yes !!! but not one person I have ever met has guessed my age correctly ! So I guess I look younger than the old fart that I am! :confused::rofl-lol: and for the record!!! Axl is older than me!

:rofl-lol: They aren't important for the music scene today at all. They're definatly not on a top five, I don't even think they're on a top 500 of most important bands for the music.

thats just crazy, of course GN'R are influencial

if it wasnt for them sleaze rock and hair metal would still be big. GN'R are the last great rock back (as of today)

is that a bad thing? i would take hair metal over the shitty pop/rap that everyone listens to now.

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DISSING THE BEATLES you are only proving your own musical ignorance. I am a true GNR fan, like many of you, but they do not hold a candle to The Beatles. If any of you nay-sayers feel like reading anymore of this post before you start calling names, please enjoy...

First Boy Band?

I can see the connection and why that is quick and easy spin for "true rock lovers" but it is simply untrue. The Beatles were not manufactured by a record company or some fat cat with a cigar trying to make a million dollars. They worked hard for what they got, writing their own songs from an early age, taking any gig they could get from church picnics to German bars where they were played from 6-12 hours a night 5 nights a week for months on end. When they were finally signed to EMI they had played some 250 gigs from 1957-1962 on their own merit.

Over-rated?

Really? Do you like music or do you just like to bullshit online? No other band in history (The Stones, Zeppelin, and especially our beloved GNR) worked so hard and evolved so quickly. Within 4 years the band had went from writing 3 minute pop songs to using orchestrations (co-composed by Lennon/McCartney), using the first tape loops and backwards effects on record, exploring album cover art as a medium all its own, and using the album itself as a complete listening experience instead of a record with 14 singles (all that while touring 10 months of the year, numerous TV and radio appearances, AND recording 3 singles per year that were not part of the 1-2 albums per year that they released). Lennon/McCartney are responsible for the greatest songs of our time including: Hey Jude, Yesterday, Revolution, Hello Goodbye, We Can Work It Out, Michelle, Here There & Everywhere, Got To Get You Into My Life, Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, Blackbird, Come Together, In My Life....etc.

It is agreed by millions of fans, critics, scholars, yours truly, and anyone who has an ear for melody and harmony that The Beatles' music is THE classical music of our time and like Mozart and Beethoven before them, will be around long after our grandchildren's children are dead.

While I understand that many people's definition of what Rock music truly is may be different I think that we can all appreciate what The Beatles accomplished and their legacy.

I am a 20 year GNR fan and have seen them 3 times live, one being the 1st Vegas show 01-01-01, and I live in KY and, at the time, worked a low paying job so I would appreciate a little respect from the forum when I say that no matter what the future of GNR is, their chance of being one of those great, historically important bands died years ago when Axl decided to hide away in a recording studio and take 3 times as long to put and keep together a new GNR as it took to glue together the original band.

True music lovers: Do yourself a favor and buy a Beatles album....maybe REVOLVER, RUBBER SOUL, ABBEY ROAD or THE BEATLES (white album). The Beatles did it all....and they did it all in only 7 years!

..........Peace....

Even The Cure is more important to pop and rock music than GNR.

GNR did November Rain, a song that is already a golden classic no one can touch. apart from that they had some good singles and a nice rock thing going when they started out, but not as influential as youd like to think ...

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DISSING THE BEATLES you are only proving your own musical ignorance. I am a true GNR fan, like many of you, but they do not hold a candle to The Beatles. If any of you nay-sayers feel like reading anymore of this post before you start calling names, please enjoy...

First Boy Band?

I can see the connection and why that is quick and easy spin for "true rock lovers" but it is simply untrue. The Beatles were not manufactured by a record company or some fat cat with a cigar trying to make a million dollars. They worked hard for what they got, writing their own songs from an early age, taking any gig they could get from church picnics to German bars where they were played from 6-12 hours a night 5 nights a week for months on end. When they were finally signed to EMI they had played some 250 gigs from 1957-1962 on their own merit.

Over-rated?

Really? Do you like music or do you just like to bullshit online? No other band in history (The Stones, Zeppelin, and especially our beloved GNR) worked so hard and evolved so quickly. Within 4 years the band had went from writing 3 minute pop songs to using orchestrations (co-composed by Lennon/McCartney), using the first tape loops and backwards effects on record, exploring album cover art as a medium all its own, and using the album itself as a complete listening experience instead of a record with 14 singles (all that while touring 10 months of the year, numerous TV and radio appearances, AND recording 3 singles per year that were not part of the 1-2 albums per year that they released). Lennon/McCartney are responsible for the greatest songs of our time including: Hey Jude, Yesterday, Revolution, Hello Goodbye, We Can Work It Out, Michelle, Here There & Everywhere, Got To Get You Into My Life, Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love, Blackbird, Come Together, In My Life....etc.

It is agreed by millions of fans, critics, scholars, yours truly, and anyone who has an ear for melody and harmony that The Beatles' music is THE classical music of our time and like Mozart and Beethoven before them, will be around long after our grandchildren's children are dead.

While I understand that many people's definition of what Rock music truly is may be different I think that we can all appreciate what The Beatles accomplished and their legacy.

I am a 20 year GNR fan and have seen them 3 times live, one being the 1st Vegas show 01-01-01, and I live in KY and, at the time, worked a low paying job so I would appreciate a little respect from the forum when I say that no matter what the future of GNR is, their chance of being one of those great, historically important bands died years ago when Axl decided to hide away in a recording studio and take 3 times as long to put and keep together a new GNR as it took to glue together the original band.

True music lovers: Do yourself a favor and buy a Beatles album....maybe REVOLVER, RUBBER SOUL, ABBEY ROAD or THE BEATLES (white album). The Beatles did it all....and they did it all in only 7 years!

..........Peace....

Nice post! Finally a person that understands! However i tend to dissagree a tiny bit about Zep!

but each to their own.

GNR did November Rain, a song that is already a golden classic no one can touch. apart from that they had some good singles and a nice rock thing going when they started out, but not as influential as youd like to think ...

Even bands like the Beach Boys had influence! Look at all the female singers of their time. Huge amount cite Deborah Harry (Blondie) as their influence. Perhaps some of the younger members should take their head out of their ass and actually research the history of music.............

I would put these bands/acts ahead of GNR on any "Top 100 Rock Bands" list or whatever:

Aerosmith

Beach Boys

Beatles

The Clash

Elvis Costello and The Attractions

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Prince

Queen

REM

Rolling Stones

Talking Heads

The Who

U2

Van Halen

What people dont seem to understand its not which band you like the best but the most influential.

And your list pretty much summed it up! :rolleyes:

I would put these bands/acts ahead of GNR on any "Top 100 Rock Bands" list or whatever:

Aerosmith

Beach Boys

Beatles

The Clash

Elvis Costello and The Attractions

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Prince

Queen

REM

Rolling Stones

Talking Heads

The Who

U2

Van Halen

pretty good list altough Id cross off van halen maybe. on second thought, they were pretty huge and EVH inspired tapping for a lot of people. I fucking hate them though. I think if you polled the average rock fan, lets say between 18 and 45 years old, asked for their list of top 100 most influential rock bands, GNR would chart around the 20's or 30's

:rofl-lol: They aren't important for the music scene today at all. They're definatly not on a top five, I don't even think they're on a top 500 of most important bands for the music.

+1. Maybe 100 or 200 though. There are MANY bands of MANY genres, we're not just talking hard rock. There's so much out there. GNR had 2 proper albums. That's nothing.

beatles suck. overrated. worlds first boy band. get over it

:rofl-lol: Just go.

As for list of say top 20 bands on music (By impact, influence and legacy):

Beatles

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix Experience

Queen

Aerosmith

U2

Oasis

The Who

Radiohead

The Jam

Sex Pistols

Pink Floyd

Michael Jackson

Prince

The Clash

Def Leppard

REM

Iron Maiden

The Doors

Cream

Chili Peppers

Rage Against The Machine

Janes Addiction

If anywhere, GNR would fit between REM and JA. Not one of the top spots. But it could all change my friends.

And jellyzero: Amazing post :D

EDIT: A few Id forgotten:

Smiths

Stone Roses

Joy Division/New Order

Buzzcocks

Edited by markyboy101

First Boy Band?

Over-rated?

..........Peace....

Nice post! Finally a person that understands! However i tend to dissagree a tiny bit about Zep!

but each to their own.

Even bands like the Beach Boys had influence! Look at all the female singers of their time. Huge amount cite Deborah Harry (Blondie) as their influence. Perhaps some of the younger members should take their head out of their ass and actually research the history of music.............

Are you kidding me, Wilson & his Beach Boys invented a certain sound that has remained with us since then. And his idea of perfect america, california surfer girls noodling one of his happy melodies. a beautiful thing. even for an america hater like me. :lol: Id never diss the Beach Boys. Pet Sounds is one of the best records of all time, it has aged gracefully, given the year it was recorded. Still very enjoyable. :)

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

+1. Maybe 100 or 200 though. There are MANY bands of MANY genres, we're not just talking hard rock. There's so much out there. GNR had 2 proper albums. That's nothing.

Yeah. Agree. I wrote that I exaggerated a bit in another post.

What people dont seem to understand its not which band you like the best but the most influential.

Exactly. Just because they're your favoriteband doesn't mean they're more important for the music.

Exactly. Just because they're your favoriteband doesn't mean they're more important for the music.

The thread title is the greatest and most important band of all time, which are two very different things. I can safely say GNR is was one of the greatest if not the greatest band of all time. Of course they haven`t influenced many bands, they were the last and IMO the best of its kind.

Edited by kok